News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Mooching rods

Started by Boatboy44, June 25, 2019, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatboy44

Anyone out there have a favorite mooching rod? i am in the market, simply because sometimes I get bored just dragging balls all over the place, and when I mark fish i want to stop and drop. We forget how much fun it is to land a fish without the added drag of a flasher. Wehn I look at ros on line, all seem to be more suited to downrigger fishing, and its really hard to find a slow action, parabolic rod casting rod. Anyone have any faves? I am partial to Lami, but I guess that doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance!

croaker stroker

I don't know what Mooching is, but....

Seeker Rods are parabolic.  CSW858 (8-1/2' 12-25 ) blue "S" glass. This is a great 15-20 lb. rod.  👍🏻

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Calstar GX8. This particular model is very soft and parabolic. Unlike most of the other Calstar grafighter rods. 10-20#. Another parabolic nice rod is United Composites Elite Gfx800 or 900, depending on length.  The seeker glass rods that CS mentioned are nice too.

My Lamiglas and G.loomis salmon rods are fast action. They both offer moderate action mooching rods as well.

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DevMah

I have 4 Shimano Technium rods med heavy with the stainless guides, awesome rods for the money.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/36852/shimano-technium-mooching-rods

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

dew

Shimano Trevala. We use them for jigging and they're great, best jigging rods I've ever used (I've used them paired with Avets and also Tekotas). The ones we use specifically are the TVC-66H. I know guys typically like longer rods for mooching, but they do make some longer Trevalas.
1989 SR 17
2012 F115
2012 T9.9

Boatboy44

Went in to Ted's last night and picked up a G.Loomis. Gorgeous rod, and exactly what I was looking for. These fish sure are more expensive than the fish store!

croaker stroker

What rod did you get ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Now if you could find an old Harnel or Harrington glass rod paired with a Penn 109 w/small handles you'd have the perfect mooching setup. The 109 was the Westport charter skipper reel of choice back in the heyday. Late 60's early 70's. Caught my first albacore on a 109 spooled with 40lb test. I don't think it would have held up to heavy tuna use though, in fact I'm sure of it.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Boatboy44

Croaker, I picked up a 1084C. It's the 9 footer. If I can get on top of some fish on Friday, I will let er rip!

Fisherdv

Nice! I've got an IMX 1021C HSR, my wife has a 1023C HSR, both 8'6" rods. These are our river King Salmon trolling rods. Probably to fast of an action for mooching though. 9ft is a great length for a mooching rod IMO. I got my IMX for 50% off! No way I was walking out of that store without it!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Quote from: Kimbrey on June 26, 2019, 11:08:16 AM
Now if you could find an old Harnel or Harrington glass rod paired with a Penn 109 w/small handles you'd have the perfect mooching setup. The 109 was the Westport charter skipper reel of choice back in the heyday. Late 60's early 70's. Caught my first albacore on a 109 spooled with 40lb test. I don't think it would have held up to heavy tuna use though, in fact I'm sure of it.

Like this ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

J Chaser

Although I ponied up the dough for 2 Islander reels, I still have cheap rods.

Shimano Convergence 10'6".  I broke a Fenwick last year so I'm off them.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

BigSid

Shimano Convergence 10'6" moocher, the Fenwick Eagle I believe is pretty good as I have one with a Shimano GT4000 mooching reel. My convergence has an Islander MR3 tied on all the time, I haven't felt the necessity to upgrade rods even after I put the high dollar aluminum puck on it.
2016 SR19 Honda 135 & 9.9