News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Mess with the Bull; get the horns.

Started by Mooch, June 11, 2019, 10:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooch

Gross Tonnage wins every time!

121' historic wooden sailing ship collides with 466' cargo ship just one week after restoration near Hamburg, Germany.  43 souls on board (14 crew, 29 passengers); numerous casualties, but 0 lives lost.  Originally named the Wander Bird, the schooner had a rich history, including a stint in SF where an inland pilot friend of mine worked and crewed on her for a time.  Sad day for him, but a very good day for those who survived.  Except maybe the skipper.  Be careful out there.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

davidsea

I read that a failed attempt at tacking by the sailboat put it in the path of the cargo ship.  :bigshock:    Captain and crew have some explaining to do. One more reason to own a powerboat, as if we needed more reasons.  Pretty hard to ignore 150 years of marine engine development.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

amazing grace

There must of been a fair warning of a crash so that the crew had time to jump ship. Even then it amazes me that there were no fatalities with that many on board.  Thank God.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

BayWolf

It amazes me, but we see it all the time.  Clear weather, calm seas and wide open navigation, and yet two boats still seem to be drawn together in a disastrous meeting.  I mean, what the F, right.  What does the skipper say? Hey look, way over there is another boat. Let's sail straight at it and see how close we can come.  Gheezzzz.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

sfever

When a boat just comes out of service you always wonder what happened since why would a supposedly experienced captain turn in front of another boat? No back up but automatically thought it was a steering issue but time will tell.

croaker stroker

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think boats under sail power always have the right-of-way ?

Bad judgement if he thought that container ship would maneuver around him.   :1zhelp:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Sailboats don't have right of way over commercial boats in shipping lanes.  The ferries up here announce that with 5 blasts pretty often.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

I found this on the internet, so it must be true.

"Maneuverability Is Key!

Sailboats under sail generally have right of way over most recreational powerboats, because sailboats are assumed to have more restricted maneuverability than powerboats (for example, a sailboat cannot turn and sail straight into the wind to avoid a collision). But by the same principle, sailboats must give way to any boat with less maneuverability.
This means that usually a sailboat must give way to a large ship. If you sail offshore or at night in fog, it's a good idea to have an inexpensive AIS system on your boat to help you avoid collisions."

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Another reference...
The International Collision Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, commonly known as the ColRegs or steering rules act like driving rules used for safety on the roads. They apply to all vessels sail or power, large and small.

Rule 12 - Sailing vessels
Power driven vessels must avoid and/or give way to all sailing vessels when under sail.
Ships, tugboats with tows, commercial ferries and fishing vessels have right of way over sailing vessels. Yachts should stay well clear of these vessels.
A sailing vessel using its motor is considered to be power vessel even though sails (motor sailing) may be hoisted. In this situation the sailing vessel with sails hoisted and using motor should hoist a cone forward of the mast to show that she is "motor sailing".
The overtaking vessel must keep clear. This also applies when a sailing vessel is overtaking a power boat.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Whoo hoo!  I have the right of way.   :party017:

Sailboat....get out of my way!....I am Croaker Stroker, a fishing boat !   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

steeler

The biggest boat always has the right of way.
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

croaker stroker

I give everybody the right of way.  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GoodDays

The overriding ColReg would be that Every Vessel shall take measures to avoid collision.  We should ask for answers on Facebook though... What do I know, I only do this shit for a living :-)

GoodDays Greg

croaker stroker

One thing I like about my new AIS is you can tap the screen and get the name of the ship.  Then you can hail them on channel 16 and communicate with them to avoid confusion.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

Quote from: BayWolf on June 14, 2019, 03:39:25 PM
It amazes me, but we see it all the time.  Clear weather, calm seas and wide open navigation, and yet two boats still seem to be drawn together in a disastrous meeting.  I mean, what the F, right.  What does the skipper say? Hey look, way over there is another boat. Let's sail straight at it and see how close we can come.  Gheezzzz.

It must be subconscious herd animal instinct.  The gravitation towards one another happens in open field and open water.

So much we do, it seems we don't really control. Humans are wierd.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)