Author Topic: Battery Switch Installation  (Read 6054 times)

Online Danno

Re: Battery Switch Installation
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
The starter isolation (SI) wire is one of the main reasons for having an ACR but It's only useful if you wire the electronics on the house battery and the outboards on the starter battery. It locks out the ACR from combining the batteries when starting the main outboard (it would be very difficult to wire it to both outboards and even then the kicker would have to be an electric start). The purpose is to isolate the house battery during starting so that the brown out (due to power drain by the starter) doesn't shut down or damage your electronics.

Matt, there's a wire that goes from your control box to the main outboard starter. You need to tap into that wire. You can splice it or just tap it.

You can wire the SI to a switch at the helm with the other side of the switch to the positive (with a fuse) so thata yuou just flip the switch before starting one of the outboards to force the ACR into isolation. You just have to remember to switch it back to allow the ACR to do what it's supposed to do.

The LED light is just an indicator of when the ACR is combining both batteries and is not required for installation.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
Thanks a million Danno. I had already hooked up the LED at the helm. No problemo. I know the LED isn't required, but it's nice because it indicates if the state of the relay:
Combined (LED on)
Isolated (LED off)
Isolated-start isolation (LED flashing - - -)
Isolated-under voltage lockout (LED flashing . . .)

I am determined to get start isolation working. My batteries are now setup with one for the house and one for cranking the engine, so I want the ACR start isolation feature working automatically. I am pretty sure the start wire is brown on my key switch. I am going to stop by my Yamaha dealer today to pickup a tap and verify assumptions. I will let you know how it works out.
'87 Arima Sea Ranger 17

Offline chuckster

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »
I just finished the install on my ACR this past weekend.  I ran a wire and fuse from the starter solenoid on the main motor to the ACR.  I haven't tested the install yet though   :whistle:
1987 Sea Chaser
115 HP Yami / 8 HP Merc
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I said I paid for it"

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
So I ended up tapping into the brown "start" wire on my Yamaha key switch. My Yamaha dealer confirmed my assumptions and gave me some bullet connectors to use. Like chuckster, I have yet to test it. I will let you know if I have any trouble with it.
'87 Arima Sea Ranger 17