News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Repower question

Started by Doozer, May 14, 2019, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doozer

I have a 16' 1984 Sea Explorer with a 50hp 2 stroke merc and a 4hp 2 stroke Johnson. I am thinking about re powering and am curious to know if it would be feasible to re power with two (2) 40 hp 4 stroke motors or even two 30 hp motors on this model ? Was thinking I might be able to do so and eliminate the kicker altogether using one of the mains to troll with? Am wondering if anyone has tried this configuration successfully yet. Thank you for your time.   :anyone:

La-Z-Buoy

Have you looked at the weight of twins versus main/kicker?
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Markshoreline

If I had your motors and they were running fine I wouldn't upgrade. It will take forever to make up the purchase cost in fuel savings.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: Markshoreline on May 14, 2019, 06:02:55 PM
If I had your motors and the were running fine I wouldn't upgrade. It will take forever to make up the purchase cost in fuel savings.

Mark, that's completely contrary to our (transparent) bylaws. You know the one: "We're here to help you spend your money!"    :bigshock:   You keep that up and we may have to vote you out of your highly paid and honored position of Global Moderator. Shame.  :facepalm:    :clap:
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Markshoreline

I apologize and retract my previous comment.....   :jester:

Marine40

Karen better not be on this site Mark :redface:
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Chief of the Boat

Twins will not fit in the motor well on the early Sea Explorer.   

Doozer

The problem that brought on the question is that I am looking for a way to steer the kicker from helm. It is a real pain in the tush reaching over my down rigger. The guy I bought from had a jerry rigged "panther" steering bar that turns nicely in on direction but not the other. Like being in a backwards nascar race.  The people here are awesome. I soooo love the the humor and fun you all have.

Mooch

Don't know about the Panther, but EZ Steer works well for me in all directions and with either main or kicker in up or down position.  Motors automatically recenter when you move them completely one side to the other in down position, if they need readjusting.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Ko Ho

Sounds like twins won't work on your SE. But for what it's worth, I have twin Yamaha 40's on my 17 Chaser, and your basic idea was good. With the twins you have two trolling motors with electric start, remote throttle, steering, power trim, and tach at the helm. You also have 2 alternators keeping your batteries charged, precise trolling even upwind (since both motors are near centerline), no downrigger line interference when turning (for the same reason), and NO kicker bounce on the highway. You can also rotate the boat - handy when docking in tight quarters. The twins 40's weigh less than a 90 hp main and kicker. My previous boat had the EZ steer. It actually worked pretty well, though I'd never go back to a main and kicker.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Markshoreline

I sit on the port sponson and hold the kicker's tiller when trolling.  I'm next to my port downrigger for when the bite happens.  There's always some angle that the tie bars don't like so I have ditched mine.  Anyone want to buy it if I can locate it?

Doozer

Mooch do you have pics posted here in the forum of your ez steer set up by chance?

PNW Drifter

I think the optimal setup (if you can afford it) for max reliability and power is to actually get THREE 25hp's or THREe 30hp's.

Here's some math for you:

3 x 25 = 75hp
3 x 30 = 90hp

Why chance it? Plus you'll be the only guy with triples on the fishing grounds. Bragging rights will be so worth it.  :party017: :beerchug:

Also you can maybe get a joystick control to slide sideways into the dock.
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walkaround, Yamaha F150 25" XL, Garmin Electronics, Scotty Stuff

Mooch

Quote from: Doozer on May 14, 2019, 09:21:19 PM
Mooch do you have pics posted here in the forum of your ez steer set up by chance?

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

La-Z-Buoy

Here's my setup, sort of. I inverted the kicker EZ Steer bracket to get a better angle. This helps especially when the kicker is tilted up and the main is down. This allows for it to be hooked up all the time regardless of motor position.

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT