Author Topic: Shopping for a new motor  (Read 732 times)

Offline Boatboy44

Re: Shopping for a new motor
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
IYC, thanks so much for that link! That place looks relatively legit. Have you purchased from there before? Any idea what constitutes "scratch and dent" for an outboard motor???

Offline mustang65fbk

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
I would definitely look into the total cost delivered to your door and go from there as it's $990 extra for the extended 3 years on the warranty and then a $300 fee to have them "prep" the engine for you and make sure it works.  On top of that there's a $150 oversized fee that I'm guessing is for the boxing and having to move it around?  And that's not even including the price to have the motor shipped.  If you go with all of that and shipping, you'll be looking at likely an extra $2,000 on top of the initial $9,500 for the motor.  Food for thought.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Offline naldodook

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
150 to have it shipped to your local yamaha dealer. So that is your shipping fee. Free to pick up.
I've seen their motors at Fred Hall this year, and talked to their sales rep.  They did not have stiff enough sale at fredhall compared to online, so I did not bite the bullet at that time.  But I am still considering them. 
300 includes PDI which is required for warranty.  PDI pretty much is, add engine oil and bottom gear lube and run test and send test result to yamaha.  Once this is done they don't want to laydown the motor anymore, if they do, they would like to drain all oil from it. This is where local dealer charges you to add oil and gear lube. 

So, if you are picking it up, their online price + 300 is what you pay. And taxes of course.
If you are having it delivered, it's motor + 300 + 150 + local dealer fee( 450-800) depending on dealer.

Their scratch on level 2 was about 3 inch wide and 12 inches long scratch.  Definitely noticeable on cowling or mid section depending on the motor, but definitely not effect performance.  These are based on motors that I looked at in March at fredhall long beach, ca. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:37:39 PM by naldodook »

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 04:35:31 PM »
I bought a 2.5 Suzuki a few years back online and I would do that again for a engine <20 horse.  Scratch and dent deals usually mean cowling damage which is very expensive to fix unless you are okay with looking at the damage when you are breaking in your new motor.  All the manufactures ship their engines in a metal framed with cardboard box shell which is very easy to damage in shipping and receiving.   In regards to Pre-Delivery-Inspection most manufactures require a Dealer or Boat Builder online account to register the engines and verify there is no manufacture recalls. 
IMO if you want to install the engine yourself, find a local dealer who will sell you one in the box and once you install do the initial start-up back at the dealer to do the PDI.   When you have problems with your new engine you ordered online, who you going to call?
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »
Yamaha, Suzuki & Honda's are all shipped with gear-cases filled with oil.
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
Outboard dealers hate warranty/recall work because it is flat rate!!   The service department couldn't survive on warranty work.

Online amazing grace

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
A "scratch and dent" Could be a motor that took a tumble off of a 5' freight dock. "Holy hat rack batman. Will you look at that. Only scratched the cowling. Put her over there with the other ones that were on that big rig that was totaled last week, would ya Chuck."
1989 22' C-Dory Angler