News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Shrimping today

Started by Markshoreline, May 11, 2019, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

My boat is dead with some electrical failure- the motors nor devices have power, so I hitched a ride with a neighbor.  Concerned about the tribes' netting we decided to spread our bet with two pots at Columbia Beach and two at Brown's Bay.  Both were equally productive with easy limits for all of us.
After getting back the wife and I enjoyed a nice salad and some lightly boiled shrimp. 
A little show was also put on by 3 gray whales for our entertainment while soaking the pots.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dbobby23

Awesome.  Dabob bay was equally productive. First 3 pots had well over 4 limits. Had to dump a bunch back. Absolutely perfect day out there.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

mustang65fbk

Dang, we went off Possession bar and got 13 total lol.  When is the next day to go?  I might have to give it another shot.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

GregE

Area 12 Hood Canal has more opportunities, May 15 is next.

Puget Sound got ONE day again

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

beancounter

Yum! Like Fat Bast@#$ said in the movie" in my stomach".

mustang65fbk

It looks like area 9 gets another day this coming Wednesday.  I might try going out again and hopefully it's less busy as there were tons of boats out there today and it seemed as though nobody cared how close they put their pots to yours.

Markshoreline

Mustang i'll Be shrimping on Columbia Beach in. 20' Grady cause my boat is broken...

HemiGTX

Mark, I'll trade you a not-broken 19 for your broken 21! :beerchug:

Seriously, what broke on your boat?
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Markshoreline

Corrosion in the fuse blocks back in the battery compartment....not unresolvable but beyond my skill level of just installing a new electronic device.

HemiGTX

Ah.  The never-ending fight with corrosion.  Yep, that's a hassle.  But I don't think it's beyond your abilities to replace.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Markshoreline

I replaced the blocks but have a short someplace causing the 50 amp fuse on the motor to blow.

mustang65fbk

Eek... sorry to hear that Mark.  I hate dealing with electrical work, whether it's on boats or cars.  Hopefully we'll see you out there!

Markshoreline

I'm going Wednesday with a neighbor again.  I need to get my boat going so I can hit Hood Canal!

rasslingref

Quote from: Dbobby23 on May 11, 2019, 04:03:40 PM
Awesome.  Dabob bay was equally productive. First 3 pots had well over 4 limits. Had to dump a bunch back. Absolutely perfect day out there.
It was a great day at Dabob on Saturday for us as well.  The boat numbers were down which allowed us to stretch our pots out.  We found the most productive depth was 240' to 270'. Almost nothing catch deeper than 300'.   Different than most years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Markshoreline

Local guys are saying they have been catching in 150-70 ft!

rasslingref

Quote from: Markshoreline on May 12, 2019, 09:16:27 PM
Local guys are saying they have been catching in 150-70 ft!
That is great news for those of use that pull the pots the old fashioned way.  One hand at a time.

Kitsap County, WA

sunnydude2

I should have followed your advice and gone over to Columbia Beach.  We tried our luck between Hat Island and Everett.  Doubled our catch from last year but not hard to do based on last years numbers.  :(

Heading to Browns Bay on Wednesday.  I am addicted to chasing these little buggers!

Markshoreline

The 4 of us pulled 320 for our limits. Heading back out of Wednesday.

waldocod

We did good in the Canal today. Limits for 4. At one point, the current was ripping and made it a bit challenging. 3 limits in 3 traps and scratched the 4th limit in 2 traps.
2002 Sea Legend HT "Crazy Carol"

Markshoreline

Today we got almost two limits in our first pot and that was a good thing, as the other 3 just got us to our limit!  Our neighbor buddies caught just 25 shrimp between the two of them....

rasslingref

Quote from: Markshoreline on May 15, 2019, 09:12:50 PM
Today we got almost two limits in our first pot and that was a good thing, as the other 3 just got us to our limit!  Our neighbor buddies caught just 25 shrimp between the two of them....
Nice work.

Kitsap County, WA

sunnydude2

I ventured out to Browns Bay and was doing pretty good.  Ran back to Edmonds to pick up the Admiral and want out and ended up with 91.  It appears the shrimp are able to get out of my mesh pots as once the bait was gone so were they!  I have one octagonal pot that produced well.

We didn't finish our day with 91 though.  Thanks to those out there who don't obey the per person limits, the fish and game woman approached and was talking to my wife and asked if we wanted to fill our second limit.  She had confiscated someones 7 limits for 3 people on board.  They had family meet them at the docks but appears WDFW has undercover boaters out there confirming number in boats!  She gave us 69 more and we were on our way.  Guess they caught two people with over 500 shrimp come back on Saturday.  Now they have no shrimp, $5k fine and no boat!

Also met a new Arima owner both out on the water and the fuel dock.  It was a '94 Sea Explorer that looked brand new.  Previous owner had re-gelcoated the entire boat.

mustang65fbk

As much as I like to, and expect that others will play by the rules, I can empathize with people wanting more than their limits.  Imo it seems that every year we have to spend all of this money for our boats, insurance, tabs, maintenance and upkeep, fishing licenses, gear, bait and so on and yet we get fewer fish each year, fewer days to shrimp or go fishing for halibut and then the tribes can go out and essentially do whatever they please with not even a slap on the wrist.  I was talking with another Arima owner on Saturday when my buddy and I went out and he said that, I believe it was the Suquamish tribe, got 7,500lbs of shrimp a couple days before the opener for us sports-fishermen.  Absolutely mind blowing that as a sports-fisherman that you'd get a several thousand dollar fine and have your boat seized yet the tribes get away with that kind of stuff all the time and then we have to pay the consequences for low returns of fish/crab/shrimp/halibut and either get a limited season or no season at all, like we did a couple years ago with salmon fishing. 

:anyone:

headduck

I feel ya mustang. Its always the few who ruin it for everybody...and make BS enforcement for all...

Cant remember a season where I limited every time I went out....and it's not like we get to fish all open days...

5k plus boat is what like 20G or more...for 350 shrimp...crazy

I would be down for an annual limit rather than daily.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Holokai

Good things do come to people who do right thing...  Just not enough!  Sunnydude2 This what I would suggest for next year hang a whole mackerel ( you can get at H Mart or 99 Ranch) and put a few slices in to them. This will keep them in the pot even though your bait barrels run out and they will stay till you pull it.