News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

outboard grease fittings

Started by JamesB, April 14, 2019, 11:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesB

I grease the outboard grease nipples once a year at the same time as doing the end of season tuneup/maintenance.   Just curious as to whether it needs to be done more periodically.  On a different note, how often do you need to top up the hydraulic fluid for the outboard rams?  I assume if they aren't leaking they should just be checked once a year and likely won't need any top up for a few years?

mustang65fbk

I just checked my hydraulic steering fluid level and it was a bit low.  I'm assuming I must have a small leak somewhere because isn't it like a brake system on a car where you shouldn't lose any fluid unless you have a leak?  Also, I don't know how you'd be able to spot a leak as the SeaStar hydraulic steering fluid that I bought is clear in color.  Kind of frustrating that they don't add some sort of color to it so that you could spot a potential leak more easily.   :doh:
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Hydroman

Quote from: mustang65fbk on April 14, 2019, 12:11:20 PM
I just checked my hydraulic steering fluid level and it was a bit low.  I'm assuming I must have a small leak somewhere because isn't it like a brake system on a car where you shouldn't lose any fluid unless you have a leak?  Also, I don't know how you'd be able to spot a leak as the SeaStar hydraulic steering fluid that I bought is clear in color.  Kind of frustrating that they don't add some sort of color to it so that you could spot a potential leak more easily.   

If you leave it in long enough is will have some color, I was surprised how dark it was when I changed it, it had been in for about five years,

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Fisherdv

If running often in saltwater you may want to grease the fittings every 6 months or so.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

BigMac

Quote from: Hydroman on April 14, 2019, 12:44:39 PM
Quote from: mustang65fbk on April 14, 2019, 12:11:20 PM
I just checked my hydraulic steering fluid level and it was a bit low.  I'm assuming I must have a small leak somewhere because isn't it like a brake system on a car where you shouldn't lose any fluid unless you have a leak?  Also, I don't know how you'd be able to spot a leak as the SeaStar hydraulic steering fluid that I bought is clear in color.  Kind of frustrating that they don't add some sort of color to it so that you could spot a potential leak more easily.   

If you leave it in long enough is will have some color, I was surprised how dark it was when I changed it, it had been in for about five years,

Jim
You may not be able to see the oil, but you can feel it.  If reservoir is low, first check underneath each end of the hydraulic cylinder.  Failure of the piston oil seals is the most likely reason, IMO.  I've had to replace two in the last 10 years.
(Dave)

Yachter Yat

I give my motor fittings a small shot of grease about every third trip out.  Pushes any water out. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

mustang65fbk

I'll have to look at the seals on my hydraulic steering unit to see if I can spot any leaks.  To be honest, I hadn't checked the hydraulic fluid since owning the boat so it very well could be that the previous owner didn't have enough in there or whatnot.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke