Author Topic: Saddle tanks  (Read 285 times)

Offline Shander73

Saddle tanks
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
I recently purchased a 2005 21 sea ranger. The previous owner told me he never used the saddle tanks . I actually don’t think he ever used them. Well, I filled them up with 5 gallons . Left the fuel in tanks
to slosh around for a few trips to clean tanks. I then disconnected the fuel hoses of the saddle tanks at the Four way valve . I can not get the fuel to come out of them!!! I hooked up a ball to try pump
Fuel out but nothing!!! I even tried to pump fuel in but that didn’t work either!! Am I missing something here ? Or are they both plugged somwhere. Any ideas?

Online Mooch

Re: Saddle tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »
Lordy!  They could be plugged but I check the bilge first before I did anything!  Then maybe use a flashlight to illuminate tank to confirm levels in both tanks. Have you open the fuel hatches  to release possible vacuum?  Keep us posted and stay safe.
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Currently accepting hot waypoints from WA MA 2-10

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
I just installed saddles on my 19SC last year.  I recommend you siphon the fuel out as best you can. 

Disconnect fuel lines from tanks and make sure they have not rotted or other wise become plugged/deteriorated.  You might need to replace the pick up tubes in the tanks (Royal PITA to do when the tanks are in place).  You may need to pull the tanks to get it all resolved. 

Yeah pulling them is also a PITA, but doable.  Easily done in a day if you get after it.  Having a helper makes it go a LOT faster.

All that being said, I would not recommend working on them until you have the fuel out...  When I need to siphon fuel, I use a squeeze bulb to get the siphon started...  Too old to enjoy the taste of fuel any longer   :bigshock:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:54 PM »
 +1 what Russ said.  Saddle tanks’ fuel pickups often have a screen that will clog.  It is easy to find fuel pickups and washers at boat stores.  Some tanks have anti back flow devices that also can clog. Be sure to install a screw on Racor filter with a clear plastic bowl before running fuel to the motor.  I would definitely replace the fuel lines and bulbs before using the boat.  The 4-way valve could also be a problem and is easy to replace.
Is it possible that the fuel pickup in your saddle tanks are the same level or lower than the end of the hose?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Smiggy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:59:25 PM »
I ran into this issue a couple years ago.  I replaced the anti siphon valve, fuel pickup tube, 4 way valve and nothing worked. I finally pulled the tank and could not believe the crud that was inside.  No problems after cleaning the tank.  My suggestion is pull the tank, clean everything.  Since everything will be out anyway go with new pickup line and anti siphon valve. It will be easy when everything’s apart to run a pressure check on ur fuel line. Takes about 3-5 hrs per tank but worth the hassle free operation later. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Smiggy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:08 PM »
This is what u need.  From Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
Yeah, that.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9