Author Topic: Looking to Replace Electronics - Seeking Advice  (Read 907 times)

Online Mooch

Re: Looking to Replace Electronics - Seeking Advice
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
The times I remember most are not when I used radar as much as the times when I didn’t have it and needed it.  And a lot depends on where you fish.  Places like PA and the straits, thick fog can come up in minutes.  GPS can get you slowly back to port, but most people fish where fish and other anglers congregate and AIS wont help with that.  Offshore, bars and places like San Juans or Gulf Islands are places I would not want to be without radar, again AIS is not enough.  I would absolutely consider radar essential kit if I was cruising.  But most nearshore fisherman get by easily without it because they don’t go far from launch.  The further you crawl out on the branch though the more you’ll appreciate having it.  Oh BTW, radar doesn’t identify crab pots as well as some UToob videos would have you believe. 
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Currently accepting hot waypoints from WA MA 2-10

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
I recently had to deal with similar circumstances. Research was overwhelming! I just finished installing a Garmin 7" GPSMAP unit with chirp + Clearvu sonar. Very impressed with everything so far. I didn't go for radar or Panoptics, but, the unit has the ability to upgrade at a later date...including TR-1 Gold Auto pilot  :beerchug:
Greg
2005 21' Sea Ranger HT w/2011 Yamaha 115hp & 9.9
2005 Willies 16x54  Drift Boat w/2014 Yamaha 8hp
1991 17' Sea Chaser w/2012 E-Tech 75hp (sold)

Offline mustang65fbk

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
I recently had to deal with similar circumstances. Research was overwhelming! I just finished installing a Garmin 7" GPSMAP unit with chirp + Clearvu sonar. Very impressed with everything so far. I didn't go for radar or Panoptics, but, the unit has the ability to upgrade at a later date...including TR-1 Gold Auto pilot  :beerchug:

Were you considering doing the Panoptix?  From what I've heard it's mainly only recommended to use while mooching or being stopped.  I've heard it's not really meant for trolling and will only go to a max depth of like 200', and I'm sure even less in the saltwater.  I too was interested until I heard these things about it... well and the extra $1,500 in price haha.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »
An interesting discussion about the same question on iFish...  Garmin seemed to be the choice for about 3 out of 4..

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »

Were you considering doing the Panoptix?  From what I've heard it's mainly only recommended to use while mooching or being stopped.  I've heard it's not really meant for trolling and will only go to a max depth of like 200', and I'm sure even less in the saltwater.  I too was interested until I heard these things about it... well and the extra $1,500 in price haha.

When I first started doing my research, I did think about Panoptics. I fish a lot of shallow spots for RF & Lings. Then I saw the price difference for the the transducer, that supports Panoptics. The 💰 alone, made my decision much easier! I think I'll be just fine with Clearvu & Chirp...and the money saved, can go to the TR-1!
Greg
2005 21' Sea Ranger HT w/2011 Yamaha 115hp & 9.9
2005 Willies 16x54  Drift Boat w/2014 Yamaha 8hp
1991 17' Sea Chaser w/2012 E-Tech 75hp (sold)

Offline sfever

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »
I'm in the camp of radar is one of those things you don't really need till you need it then you usually really need it.

Online Kimbrey

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 11:25:22 PM »
I have Raymarine.  1000w transducer with the external DSM unit.  It's ok, good stuff but I'm so used to the commercial stuff it's kind of a step back for me so I'm a bit more critical.

I find with the one MFD at the helm the screen gets kind of small in a hurry when you want to be looking at the sounder, plotter and radar at the same time and mine is a 12.1" screen so I'd suggest the largest screen you and fit and afford or two screens.

Through the years I haven't heard the best about Lowrance but I think that was more service related.  Simrad is the same company soooo.
Garmin I don't know much about but it seems as if people really likes the stuff mainly because of ease of use.

Interesting thing about CHIRP.....I'm confused.  On the boat I run in AK we have a Simrad ES80.  This is from a completely different company than what you know as Simrad.  It's Simrad Kongsberg.  Our ES80 is set up with three transducers, 38khz, 70khz & 120khz all of which have CHIRP capabilities.  Simrad Kongsberg's guru who is probably the sharpest guy I've ever worked with regarding electronics (he teaches the electronic sales companies techs) tells us not to use CHIRP when we're shallow.  Maybe start using it 100 fathom and deeper.  He says CHIRP really shines when deep but we should get better definition shallow using CW or old school pings.  In the Bering Sea I'm living in the expander portion of the screen, bottom and up 2 fathom as we're spotting sole on the bottom.  When using CHIRP the bottom is all fuzzy.  Soooo I don't know what the heck my CHRIP in my Raymarine is actually giving me.  Sounds cool though.

Raymarine as Russ said isn't the easiest to figure your way around the menus and features.  I did an update on mine and lost all the fuel tank info.  It took me forever to get it back.  Had to say the boat had two tanks or something I forget what.

There's one piece of electronics that you won't ever regret getting especially if you plan on making some long trips.  An Autopilot.  You will never regret sticking one of those things on.  I put a Garmin on my boat.  I hooked up to the Raymarine mfd via NMEA 183. Waypoint data will go to the pilot and the pilots heading sensor data goes to the Raymarine.  I like running radar, plotter et cetera N up so that was a must for me.  I would suggest if you get a pilot get the same brand as your MFD as you'll have more available features than I do.  I just liked the idea of a Garmin pilot as they make pilots for airplanes so figured it'd be good. 

Radar....I don't have any experience with the broadbands that are out there now but do they draw less power than a standard radar?  Could be an important consideration for a small boat.  My Raymarine stuff seems to be a bit power sensitive but that might just be my setup.  The broadband might not have the range as a standard but with a small boat a lot of range probably isn't necessary. 
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:48 PM »
Radar is not only useful at night and in the fog when visibility is limited. It is also useful for finding other fishing boats, boats in distress, and buddies beyond what the eye can see. It can also spot feeding flocks of birds when you are fishing for Tuna.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline GregE

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
 :yeahthat:  except the birds part-    you need a strong open array to do that per most dealers I talked to .

my project   http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=16895.msg199952;boardseen#new
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold: Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait;
SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
I have a cheap old Furuno 18” and I can even see single birds and buoys.

Maybe the broadband is not as sensitive ? 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:57:54 AM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline sikoruk

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger.  After taking the advice on here, talking with the electronics guy at the Fife West Marine and then talking with Ken at J&G Marine I went with the Garmin 942xs, the Fantom 18, a Steadycast, and the GM-23T TM transducer. Now to get it all installed!

Any advice on mounting the radar and running the wires for a SR19HT?

Oh and in the end bought form J&G. Local store, great advice from a guy with 30+ years in the business, and 10% cheaper than list.  Can't recommend them higher.

-Justin
1992 SR19HT - 115 Honda 9.9 Honda

Offline mustang65fbk

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Just a heads up, and I'm not sure if you care one way or the other, but the Garmin 942xs doesn't have side view sonar unless you buy a separate black box for it.  I was somewhat interested in the 942xs up until I heard that it didn't come with side view capabilities and although I probably wouldn't use it very often, I figured if I'm spending the money that I might as well get it.  If you are wanting side view sonar, the 7600xsv series would probably be the way to go.  You can get the 7608xsv for slightly less online than you can get the 942xs.  Just an fyi and if you don't need side view and are happy then congrats on your purchase!

Offline sikoruk

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm aware of the lack of the side scan.  Went out on a buddies boat that has Lowrance stuff with traditional, down and side scan and played around in south sound, including looking for the remnants of galloping gurdy and while the side scan is neat, I'm just not sure how often I would use it.  I was going back and forth between the 942 and the 8610 (I really want the g3 navigation package with the Navionics built in and it's not available without paying extra for it on the 76 series). In the end I felt that the extra inch and the side view wasn't enough to justify doubling the cost of the head unit and tripling the cost of the transducer. If at sometime I regret my choice (good for finding bait when targeting salmon? helpful when targeting rockfish? seeing clouds of shrimp?) I can always retrofit with the black box and a new transducer. This is such a step up from what I had that it should hopefully keep me happy for quite awhile.

I appreciate you taking the time to point it out though! I waited a couple weeks before pulling the trigger going back and forth on what to do...
1992 SR19HT - 115 Honda 9.9 Honda

Offline mustang65fbk

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
Agreed.  I think side scan is a cool idea although like you said, I'm not sure how often I'd use it either.  That being said, if I am going to upgrade my electronics at some point, like I was saying before, I'll probably fork out the extra cash to get something that has all three kinds of sonar.  Probably won't ever use the side scan, I'm sure if someone was a diver looking for wrecks or places to dive that they would use it quite a bit but if you're happy with your purchase then we're happy too!   :beerchug:

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
Mustang- I purchased my radar after a beautiful night at Fisherman’s Bay on Lopez.  When we exited through Cattle Pass the next morn, the fog was so dense we couldn’t see 10 feet ahead.  The depth finder kept us from grounding but it was a stressful trip returning to Edmonds. Worth it to have it for the rare times I need it.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9