News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Safety Reminder/Sad Story

Started by Holoholo808, March 17, 2019, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holoholo808

One of our local fishing community went overboard today. He was out with his new wife reeling in a fish when he went over. She tried to circle around and inadvertently ran over the lines that were out and wrapped both propellers. The boat was disabled and dead in the water.

She had to watch from the boat as they drifted out of sight of each other.

The circumstances regarding how he went over are really not important though I know his boat was set up for local/semi-commercial fishing with a self bailing deck and low gunnels. There is a warning level swell filling in so the water movement has been abnormal and the surface swell unpredictable.

The coast guard is searching into the night with multiple helicopters and cutters but chances are looking slim.

The takeaway is that everyone should have a PFD on at all times with a PLB secured to it. Anyone on the vessel should be aware of the safety protocol and how to operate all lifesaving equipment. Boating is a privilege, not a right and we often take that for granted.

I am guilty of not always wearing a PFD. That will change as everyone who comes on my boat will have to wear one at all times. Thank you all here for reinforcing that mindset and I'm sorry I had to tell you it hit home for me by having one of our local community go over.

Last note: The coast guard was hailing on channel 16 at regular intervals but for some reason no one in the area replied. It's terrifying to guess as to what percent of boaters offshore actually leave their VHF on and tuned to channel 16. Please look out for each other on the ocean. You may want to slap someone for their actions on the water (they may very well deserve it) but save it until you're both back on land.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

davidsea

Thanks for sharing a difficult and sad story - I couldn't have said it better.   Yes, folks, it CAN happen to you.  Please be prepared and be safe.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Mooch

Holo,

So sorry for your loss.  It's a heartbreaker and my heart goes out to his wife who had to helplessly witness the ordeal.  Thanks for the sober reminders on the safety equipment.  I'd like to add for those that haven't done already so, please program your radio with MMSI #.  Everyone on board can be trained to press a button in the event of an emergency, even if they've never operated a VHF.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

amazing grace

i am sure I am not the only one that finds this a bit strange. Not that it did not happen like you say. But as they say. Got to be more to the story :stirthepot:.
What were condition's like? Shark invested water's? I dunno, but sure this will get investigated thoroughly. A bad outcome for the guy to be sure.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Holoholo808

Quote from: amazing grace on March 18, 2019, 07:47:56 AM
i am sure I am not the only one that finds this a bit strange. Not that it did not happen like you say. But as they say. Got to be more to the story :stirthepot:.
What were condition's like? Shark invested water's? I dunno, but sure this will get investigated thoroughly. A bad outcome for the guy to be sure.

There are questions regarding the amount of time between him going over and the coast guard being called. Some people are saying she was taking a nap and woke up to an empty boat, others say she was up, the news say she went to grab s PFD to throw, etc. . It really doesn't matter.

Winds out there were a steady 20 knots plus and the seas were 8 feet and building. You could fall overboard out there, be a strong swimmer, and near instantly not be able to catch up with a drifting vessel.

The area does have a fair amount of sharks but they usually won't attack unprovoked. If there was blood in the water then all bets are off.

More local fishermen are heading out at first light to assist with the search. We're hoping for good news or at least closure for the family.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

GregE

I'd like to add for those that haven't done already so, please program your radio with MMSI #.  Everyone on board can be trained to press a button in the event of an emergency, even if they've never operated a VHF.

Everybody on board gets briefed on the button under the red guard.   You can register for a MMSI number through Boat US and other avenues.  If your VHF is connected to the GPS Plotter your position will be sent with the data burst.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

I heard about this on Instagram....So sad.

If I am alone, I clip my submersable VHF to my PFD.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

J Chaser

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Holoholo808

Quote from: GregE on March 18, 2019, 10:02:47 AM
I'd like to add for those that haven't done already so, please program your radio with MMSI #.  Everyone on board can be trained to press a button in the event of an emergency, even if they've never operated a VHF.

Everybody on board gets briefed on the button under the red guard.   You can register for a MMSI number through Boat US and other avenues.  If your VHF is connected to the GPS Plotter your position will be sent with the data burst.

Very good note on the MMSI number. Also remember to transfer it if you sell your vessel or ask the seller if you're purchasing a used vessel. Used VHFs usually cannot be programmed with another MMSI number.

AJFishin

Quote from: Holoholo808 on March 18, 2019, 02:24:09 PM
Quote from: GregE on March 18, 2019, 10:02:47 AM

Very good note on the MMSI number. Also remember to transfer it if you sell your vessel or ask the seller if you're purchasing a used vessel. Used VHFs usually cannot be programmed with another MMSI number.

I think if you have a used VHF radio with a MMSI number already assigned to it, I believe you can send the radio to the manufacture and they can do a reset.

Regarding what happened in the story is really sad and hope there was no foul play. Fishing alone and even with someone, I always have my PFD, knife, and my floating handheld VHF radio attached to me.
People that are not briefed on what to do in case of an emergency panic and can turn a basic situation into a dangerous one. Passengers should know how to use the radio and what the purpose of the DSC button is, along with basic boat control before heading out.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Redhawk

Very unfortunate for all the parties involved and I hope that at the very least some closure can be brought to the family. Make sure to have the VHF on and monitoring channel 16, not all the transmissions are chatter that can be ignored, some may be of a nature similar to this.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

StreamFixer

I am sure you have all read my many rants about WEARING PFD's any time away from the dock...

So foolish to not have an inflatable on...

Reminds me of a fellow Arima owner who, years ago, resisted my requiring he wear one fishing with me...  I had to ask him to bring it back as he walked away wearing it at the end of the day...  He now requires all to wear when under weigh on his boat...

Sad story to hear indeed, but Darwin's theory at work I guess...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GregE

Another reminder-  CG rules state inflatables must be worn to meet the PFD requirement. 
I usually have a non inflatable or two on board for the few instances when I or others don't have our normal PFD on.  Gyro stabilized binos can see a loooong way and they often record inspection stops.

A ticket is far easier to explain than why a passenger drowned.

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

It is good to familiarize yourself with how these things work. Knowing what they will, and won't, do.

Those inflatables have to be maintained and should be tested. Mine is due. it's about time for me to jump in the pool with mine. I highly recommend doing this not just to test the air bladder for leaks, replace the "pill", and test the mechanisim, but to familiarize yourself how they work, how to manually inflate/deflate. and how to get out of the PFD should you find yourself in the pilothouse of an overturned boat. (I think this happened to the owner of Arima)

When I tested mine, I got out of the pool and tried to remove the inflated PFD. I got tangled and could not remove it. My wife had to help me out of it... I would have drowned if I tried to remove it in the ocean. If for some reason you need to take it off (like you are trapped in the pilothouse) You better know how to get it off, or deflate it. I agree with Holoholo808 on the need to carry a knife.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Carrying a knife on you I believe is a must have for every boater.
My Grunden GAGE deck knife is always attached to my PFD just in case of an emergency. A great $20 investment for any PFD for those just in case scenarios . It's the perfect size and doesn't get in the way at all.

https://shop.grundens.com/shop/accessories/gage-deck-knife/

Holoholo808

Thank you all for the replies and kind thoughts. We read about boating tragedies all the time but when they hit this close to home you really sit down and evaluate every aspect of your safety setup and protocol.

We ordered rescue streamers for every PFD. Look them up on Amazon:

See/Rescue Streamer, Lighted Safety Device and Rescue Device with Holster for Any Terrain - Personal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXZX8ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_d2VKCbECMPM7G

Given the water temps most of the members here fish in they might be less relevant but are still cheap insurance an help the responders pinpoint your final location once the DSC/PLB/EPIRB gets them into the general area (it's very difficult to see a person in a 100 yard diameter circle of choppy water).

We've also got in an order for new PLBs (ACR ResQLink+) as my battery was due for replacement anyway.

Every PFD is also getting a Windstorm whistle (fits better in the pocket) and a knife; thanks AJ for the suggestion.

Still no sign of the boater but it's not completely in vain as the awareness level has been raised significantly and the fishing community is talking with first responders about how to improve communication and get the word out faster when a situation like this happens.

Just wish we didn't have to lose one of our own for these improvements to happen...

Fisherdv

I wanted to comment on something you said in your first post about boaters in the area and no one responded. I was in a bit of a situation a while ago and sent out a call for help. I saw a few boats within less than a mile away from me so my first broadcast was on the local boaters channel because I thought those boats would respond and were the closest to me. No response from the boaters in the area. Not one. The CG was listening and I switched over to channel 16. Still no boats responded on channel 16. After a quick talk on the VHF with the CG, and after any immediate danger was resolved, they called me on my cell phone. A police boat did end up responding, although a while later. Everything turned out ok thankfully but as mentioned, no boats in the area responded to the call for help. They may have had their radios off, or just didn't want to be bothered reeling in their lines to assist. Point being, don't count on other boaters in the area. Lots of good safety reminders here. Guys, be prepared! Things can turn ugly in an instant without warning.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Holoholo808

I'm going to start taking pictures and vessel numbers of others I pass by on the way to assist. It's disgusting how many people turn their vhf off or don't respond to others in the water. I feel that failure to render aid should be punishable by a hefty fine or more.

Boating is not a right and we're responsible for each other (as well as ourselves) out there. That's applicable no matter what body of water you're on, period.

croaker stroker

There was a thread on BD about a center console that flipped at the Oyster Farm. The Original Poster stated that he was in the area and had his VHF turned off...An older guy died.

😠https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/capsized-boat-at-the-mussel-farm.706901/

Leave your VHF tuned to channel 16...aside from the maritime legal responsibility,  It is a good feeling to rescue someone.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wiley

As stated by Holoholo808 you all have raised my awareness!!! Not that I don't have Pfds or vhf but a back up clipped on seems like a really good idea ! Any recommendations for a floating type vhf clip on ? And yes I already have multiple knives in on and around myself at all times. Another good idea...  Any and all safe boating advice and products cannot be discussed to much in my opinion. I admit I often get complacent and we all have our woulda,coulda,shoulda's...
not to mention the wealth of knowledge and experience around here...
much appreciated to all...
Sorry but another question.. what do you think is more important epirb or plb for budget constrained, or which would you buy first ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

GregE

West Marine sale starts today.  Several handheld VHFs available-  we keep one in the Ditch Kit bag that goes in the boat with us.  It has flares, a line to clip us together, the ACR Rescue + PLB, whistle, mirror  ... ... And the bag floats.

Check this out

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electronics--resqlink-personal-locator-beacon-and-adventure-kit--18736215?recordNum=3

Greg

AJFishin

Here's a BD'er that assisted in a distress call and in his thread he said they passed many boats and not a single one assisted with ANY help whatsoever.

https://youtu.be/qLq76CN48WI

Skip to 10:15 when they arrive on scene.

croaker stroker

You can get thrown out without warning. They think the man at the oyster farm caught a stray rope and flipped or swamped then flipped. You can hit a plastic laundry bag and it's like hitting a log. Things happen.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 21, 2019, 01:12:29 PM
You can get thrown out without warning. They think the man at the oyster farm caught a stray rope and flipped or swamped then flipped. You can hit a plastic laundry bag and it's like hitting a log. Things happen.

From the video it looks like he went right down the middle, I wounder which yellow buoy or mussel buoys he didn't see?
So many people go inside the farm and don't understand the dangers in there. It's marked on my plotter as a spot, but also a hazard area.

I hit that plastic bag a few weeks ago and everything does comes to an abrupt stop, what an experience :bigshock:

croaker stroker

Dont feel bad, I've done it. That's why I know.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸