Author Topic: Smaller trolling motor battery.  (Read 221 times)

Offline fishmiester

Smaller trolling motor battery.
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
Does anybody know how much amperage the starter draws on a Honda BF15? I am thinking of using a lighter battery on my auxiliary motor. At this point I am set up with 2 Interstate 1000 cca's, one for main engine, and one for the small engine. Both wired independently. But due to the weight of the batterys I have both on the stb. side. for balance. If I went to a lighter battery I could install the kicker battery on the port side back under the bait box. The only draw on the kicker battery is the kicker itself, no fishfinders or any other draw. I have smart tabs which I  love but they don't do a thing for the slight port list I have with the big battery on that side, coupled with the weight of the Honda. The 2 batteries on stb side aren't really in the way, but would like to do something different.  Ideas? :anyone:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Offline DevMah

Re: Smaller trolling motor battery.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »
Does anybody know how much amperage the starter draws on a Honda BF15? I am thinking of using a lighter battery on my auxiliary motor. At this point I am set up with 2 Interstate 1000 cca's, one for main engine, and one for the small engine. Both wired independently. But due to the weight of the batterys I have both on the stb. side. for balance. If I went to a lighter battery I could install the kicker battery on the port side back under the bait box. The only draw on the kicker battery is the kicker itself, no fishfinders or any other draw. I have smart tabs which I  love but they don't do a thing for the slight port list I have with the big battery on that side, coupled with the weight of the Honda. The 2 batteries on stb side aren't really in the way, but would like to do something different.  Ideas? :anyone:

My best estimate 75 to 100Amps
If you use a current clamp meter you can get the actual
Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger  (Tight lines)
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Offline whale

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:21 PM »
Are you saying that you have second battery hooked up to the kicker only and nothing else is hooked up to it.
Does this mean while you run with your kicker, all the power you use comes from your main battery?
If this is true, you are running a chance of your main not able to start because you drained it with all of your electronics. The best is that your main motor charges the main battery while on the way out then keep that charge for starting the main when you need it.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Offline DevMah

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »
He already has them wired separately according to his post.

Dev
2015 Yamaha F150

Offline fishmiester

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
Thanks Dev for your help and input. Whale: They are wired independently and the kicker battery is being charged while I am using that motor Although it usually isn't running at high rpm's and I believe it's only a 4 amp charging system. But it seems to maintain a constant trickle charge according to the volt meter for that engine.
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Offline whale

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
Yes, he did mention that he has them wired separately. He also mention there are no other draw from the kicker battery. This sounds to me that he is drawing everything off the main battery while the main engine is not running.
Which battery are you drawing the downrigger and other non essential electronics?
I believe you should be drawing them off the kicker battery, not the main battery. Atleast it’s being charged while you fish with kicker.

2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Offline DevMah

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
Yes, he did mention that he has them wired separately. He also mention there are no other draw from the kicker battery. This sounds to me that he is drawing everything off the main battery while the main engine is not running.
Which battery are you drawing the downrigger and other non essential electronics?
I believe you should be drawing them off the kicker battery, not the main battery. Atleast it’s being charged while you fish with kicker.

Yes it would be the better method to draw from the kicker battery, as it’s being charged. I have some customers that only want one battery and when they use thier pull start (non charging) they want all the load on the main. Many of them fish for a few hours when thy go out and the battery is able to keep up.

I would recommend that fishmiester install a switch so that in the event he drains his main battery he has the ability to use the smaller as a booster, or add a ACR kit.

Dev

2015 Yamaha F150

Offline fishmiester

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
Thanks to both of you guys. I may go with the ACR switch. In the past I didn't use my downriggers that much, but since I have discovered the fun of Kokanee off the light dr. clips and light gear I use them a lot. I run 2 Scotty 1106's and they get a pretty good work out. Also if I'm fishing at daybreak I have my running lights on. My main (Tohatsu 90 tldi) Doesn't even have a pull start cord on it, but with my permantly dislocated right shoulder I couldn't pull it anyway :jester:

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
You caught the endless Kokanee bug. I caught the bug 5 years ago and I can’t stop thinking Kokanee. I still love the big tug but love the 4 rod spread all going off at once more. Kokanee fishing can sure test your battery setup and charging system for sure, especially on chelan early season when the Kokanee are 80-140 ft down.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi