News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

$445 Lenco trim tabs w/LED

Started by ohmytodd, March 12, 2019, 07:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohmytodd

They're back! https://ebay.us/JVkHo3

Not sure how long the deal will last this time. Buy it now is $445, and these are the LED readout version.

1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

sikoruk

Having the extra black box means they are the older version right? Of course the picture is a stock photo so who knows what you are actually getting?
1992 SR19HT - 115 Honda 9.9 Honda

Fishgriller

I bought this set from this seller couple of months ago but have not completed he installation yet.  It came new in the box with the all-in-one integrated LED switch.  Agree with Todd, if you want trim tabs, you will not get a better deal, buy it.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

ohmytodd

Gone. Someone got a heck of a good buy.

mariner

I was the one who originally brought to the attention on this forum this ebay ad last year.  I bought a set and it was in brand new condition and works perfectly.  Came in original box.  It has been installed on my boat.  After my original message someone here picked up the same set from this ebay seller.  It's the new design with the integrated control box.  I was a bit hesitant because the ad had a picture that looked like it was a snapshot from a computer screen of the Lenco items but ebay has a 100% money back guarantee if a seller doesn't sell you what is described.  Seems like this seller gets a set every few months.  Keep an eye out for it and buy thr next set he lists.  He is a few hundred less than what others sell it for.   Surprisingly I don't use it as often as I thought I would.   I would recommend that if you buy this item or any other item on ebay to print out or save a copy of the ebay invoice for warranty purposes.  Ebay doesn't allow you to print invoices from transactions older than a few months. 
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Fishgriller

For those looking to get trim tabs, I recommend  to save this seller to your eBay watch list and use the buy it now option when the kit comes up next time.  When I was looking at them last summer, I first signed up for the auction, and it went quite a bit over the buy it now price and I wasn't available to increase my bid last minute.   So when it came up again about 2 months later, I just bought them.

Mariner, couple of questions on your install, did you end up routing your actuator cables over the transom and where did you hook up the orange wire?

mariner

Fishgriller,

Yes my lenco cables loop over my transom.  Be careful because I thought I had enough room to drill a hole to push the wires through the transom since I already had my fuel tank out at that time.   I had the drill all ready to go and was about to drill when I measured once again and my heart sank to the bottom of my stomach.  There wasn't enough room to drill the hole.  The hole would have hit up against the spashwell so for me there was no option but to loop the cable.  If you really didn't want to loop the cable I guess you can drill a hole below the top mount so that it is well below the splashwell bottom but then it would defeat the purpose of concealing the cable through the hole in the top mount.  There is also a rubber compression fitting for the top mount that helps keep water out so I don't know if it would be a good idea to drill holes under the waterline just to make it "look" nicer.

The orange wire I hooked up to my control box wiring.  There is a 12V red wire from my Mercury control box that provides power to accessories but the power only activates when the key is turned to the "on" position.  So my lenco tabs and LED indicators only come on when I turn the key to the on position before starting the motor and they automatically retract when I turn off the motor.

I would recommend mounting the trim tabs as close to the sponson as possible.  While Trim Tabs work well raise the stern and lower the nose of the boat for a smoother ride in chop,  the area between the sponsons where Arima boat owners place their trim tabs limits the amount of side to size movement from the tabs.  On my previous boat which didn't have the recessed transom area, the trim tabs were mounted far towards the edge of the port and starboard side of the transom.  Mounting the tabs further out towards the edges gives more leverage and I found that adjustments side to side were easier to make and required less trim tab deflection in order to get side to side changes.   I have seen the odd arima where they have mounted the trim tabs on the sponson.  I wonder how well they work when mounted there?  The problem I see with mounting it on the sponson is that it is very exposed and can easily be bumped and damaged while loading/unloading at the ramp etc..

sikoruk

I was the one that bought them.  Thanks so much for the tip ohmytodd! Had some saved on my Amazon wishlist without the LED switch for $599. The ones with the LED switch go for $750 on Amazon.

Looking forward to receiving them and installing them. My wife will appreciate not having to sit behind me anymore!

ohmytodd

If I wasn't saving up for a Baystar steering upgrade I would have bought this before I was even out of bed this morning. I'm glad it was one of you guys who got the deal.  :cha:

Fishgriller

Quote from: mariner on March 12, 2019, 06:20:51 PM
Fishgriller,

Yes my lenco cables loop over my transom.  Be careful because I thought I had enough room to drill a hole to push the wires through the transom since I already had my fuel tank out at that time.   I had the drill all ready to go and was about to drill when I measured once again and my heart sank to the bottom of my stomach.  There wasn't enough room to drill the hole.  The hole would have hit up against the spashwell so for me there was no option but to loop the cable.  If you really didn't want to loop the cable I guess you can drill a hole below the top mount so that it is well below the splashwell bottom but then it would defeat the purpose of concealing the cable through the hole in the top mount.  There is also a rubber compression fitting for the top mount that helps keep water out so I don't know if it would be a good idea to drill holes under the waterline just to make it "look" nicer.

The orange wire I hooked up to my control box wiring.  There is a 12V red wire from my Mercury control box that provides power to accessories but the power only activates when the key is turned to the "on" position.  So my lenco tabs and LED indicators only come on when I turn the key to the on position before starting the motor and they automatically retract when I turn off the motor.

I would recommend mounting the trim tabs as close to the sponson as possible.  While Trim Tabs work well raise the stern and lower the nose of the boat for a smoother ride in chop,  the area between the sponsons where Arima boat owners place their trim tabs limits the amount of side to size movement from the tabs.  On my previous boat which didn't have the recessed transom area, the trim tabs were mounted far towards the edge of the port and starboard side of the transom.  Mounting the tabs further out towards the edges gives more leverage and I found that adjustments side to side were easier to make and required less trim tab deflection in order to get side to side changes.   I have seen the odd arima where they have mounted the trim tabs on the sponson.  I wonder how well they work when mounted there?  The problem I see with mounting it on the sponson is that it is very exposed and can easily be bumped and damaged while loading/unloading at the ramp etc..

Thanks mariner.  I am running the cables over the transom as I came up with same measurements as you.   A short while ago I emailed Lenco a photo of the back of my boat and they said the same thing, as close to the sponsons as possible.  They also clarified the the minimum distance to the strakes applies only to the inside edge of the trim tab, not the outside.  They also advised against mounting on the sponsons due to potential damage to the tabs as well as the boat.  I know others have commented on this already, but Lenco customer support has been great. 

davidsea

Good info from Fishgriller on the standard Lenco tabs.  On 19's - and I expect on 17's as well -  the upper ram mounting location will not let you run the cable through the transom, because the hole would interfere with the splashwell.  No choice but up-and-over for the cables.   I don't know if Lenco offers another style of tab that has a lower top-mount dimension.  It appears that the Bennett Bolt edge-mount tabs will allow through-transom mounting, but the standard Bolts would have the same issue as the Lenco's. 
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Rokefin

FYI - The Bennett M80's allow through transom mounting.

Hydroman

Just run the wires over the transom, just one more potential problem you won't have to deal with in the future.  My 21 SR came from the factory that way.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Fisherdv

I went over the transom also. It's only a few inches. The less unneeded holes the better
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fishgriller

I was looking into electric trim tabs.  Lencos and Lectrotabs can be run over the transom, Bennett Bolt cannot due to their design.

Bumbler

Picked mine up in December from the buyer for $425. Plan on installing next month. Looks like a steal of a deal.

Matt
2016 SR 21 HT "Sea Bumbler"
Yamaha 200xb
Yamaha 9.9
Simrad Go9 XSE

sikoruk

Oh sure.  Tell me I could have had them for $20 cheaper!

Bumbler

Quote from: sikoruk on March 13, 2019, 10:01:37 PM

Ha!  Missed a set for less but fell asleep at the wheel. Still a great deal either way.

Matt
2016 SR 21 HT "Sea Bumbler"
Yamaha 200xb
Yamaha 9.9
Simrad Go9 XSE

AJFishin

Bought mine last year and they are still sitting in my garage waiting to be install on the next Arima I get in the future :jester:

On my 16SC I have my cables over the transom, easy peasy.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

charlietuna

Quote from: sikoruk on March 13, 2019, 10:01:37 PM
I won't mention the 15% coupon ebay was running that day... ;)
17' SeaRanger (sold) / 19' SRST
USCG Licensed Master

sikoruk

Ssericz

I don't understand all the guys saying they couldn't go thru the transom on a 17. Mine were thru transom wired on my 17sc

mariner

Perhaps the 17 SC has a shallower splashwell than a 19SR?  I have no idea.  All I know is that if I were to drill a hole to put the lenco wires through the transom the hole that I drill would be hitting the bottom of the splashwell and would split or crack the fibreglass from the splashwell.  If my splashwell was 1 or 2 inches higher or if the Lenco actuator was 1 or 2 inches shorter it would work but as it stands it wasn't possible for my 19SR. 

Fisherdv

Lenco makes an edge mount also.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

FishBio

Reviving an old discussion to see if anyone knows the name of the eBay seller who occasionally has the cheap lenco trim tab packages.  Anyone remember it?
Thanks!
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.