News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea Pacer thoughts

Started by YachatsLP, February 14, 2019, 11:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YachatsLP

Hi everyone. First post here but I've learned a ton from all of you thanks!
Ever since I stepped on my father in-laws 19 sea ranger several years ago I've been looking for my first Arima.
I've come across this nice looking 17' sea pacer and wanted your thoughts on their performance for typical Oregon coast fishing. My plans are Salmon trolling bays and rivers and near shore (nice day) bottom fish.
My dilemma is the cuddie on the ranger is nice for getting out of the weather but the open bow seems very appealing for fishing purposes other than trolling. I have one small child and think even the canvas bow cover might  make a nice 'fort' when she needs a nap.

So... what's the deal with the pacer? I haven't seen very many where I am -and this one is shiny :)
Thank you in advance.
2001 17' Sea Chaser
2021 Honda 90

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Danno

Here are my thoughts:

Ocean Fishing: The open bow, even with the bow cover in place is not designed to take waves and without a self bailing deck, that could spell disaster.

17' Arima Sea Pacer: Not the largest for deck space as it will be similar to a 17' SR so as long as you don't plan on putting four adults in there, you'll be fine.

Anchor Fishing: The open bow will be great for anchoring up in the rivers. With all of the river fishing available along the Columbia and Willamette, the Sea Pacer could be a great choice.

SR Cuddy: The Sea Ranger cuddy will have a bit more head room and will come with the pads to create a huge bed which is excellent for your wife and youngster.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

Yeah, good call Fisher.  I don't imagine many people know more about the Pacer than Croaker.  I'm not a big fan of bow riders, but must say, if I owned this boat, I'd find that little "potty cuddy" quite convenient. 

Good points by Danno on both sides. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Only a child could fit in the "potty cuddy".

I do like the bow access for anchoring and retrieval. The bow holds the cooler, killbag, gas jugs (if needed).

There is really no place for a woman to potty.

I never use the canvas bow cover, and I never go out in conditions where waves would break over the bow.

Those Sea Pacers are rare (especially those with the improved hull design). In big demand down here in Southern California. If you buy it, it would certainly be easy to sell.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

If you are going to fish the Lower Columbia, Oregon or Washington coastal waters or the Puget Sound, I would not advise a Pacer. 

There is simply NO WAY you are going to keep a wave over the bow from flooding the boat. 

The weather changes all too quickly, and if you failed to notice what the tidal exchange is your margin for error just went to negative side.  When it comes to a margin for error in a Pacer, it is slim when encountering slightly rough seas in the first place.

Danno has it right on, and he is a BIG Pacer fan...

If you are going to be fishing lakes and areas where there is little chance of having a solid water wave over the bow, by all means...  Pacer is a dandy...

I know, if looking at fishing the salt or lower Columbia you would be 'picking your days'.  Me too...  and I still sometimes end up with a wave over the bow...  Simply not worth the chance to me.

Your mileage may vary.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

I have owned two open bow Arimas. Water over the bow has never been a problem for me.

Southern California is way different than Oregon or Washington.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

blue heron

Yep, what Croaker and Fixer said.  WA and OR do not compare to Southern Cal. 
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Tj805

I think a pacer would be a fine boat.
I wouldn't be to worried about water comming over the rail.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

YachatsLP

Thanks everyone. :beerchug: bowdown.gif

Yah, I should clarify, I'm totally not thinking of this as an excellent all the time ocean boat. I fish mostly central and south coast bays, rivers and lakes and really just hope to hop outside the Newport jetties if conditions are really nice. No B-10 for me. I was a river guide on the Colorado river for a few years and I've had my fun with big waves- I hope to be done.

You guys rock and I appreciate all the feedback.  I'm gonna call him up tomorrow, 13k seems reasonable but need to hear more about the motors for sure.

2001 17' Sea Chaser
2021 Honda 90

Yachter Yat

Croaker;  I'm a little disappointed to read that "potty cuddy" is as small as you suggest.  Too bad.  Seems that could be one of the main attractions to that boat.  Oh well.   BTW, open bow boats offshore in New England is a bad idea as well. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

I haven't practiced much with posting videos, but here goes....   hey, that was pretty easy.

Sea Pacer in some close choppyness.

https://vimeo.com/317400142

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Are those motors 4-strokes?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

YachatsLP

Yup, both are early 2000's 4 strokes. A 90hp Mercury and a 8hp Honda.

No trim tabs- and I'm sure it sits a bit stern heavy. The Merc looks pretty hefty.
2001 17' Sea Chaser
2021 Honda 90

beancounter

I had one for a couple years and fished it up to 35 miles out in the Atlantic. Went thru some very rough water and yes the bilge pump was useful but no swamping and flooding the boat. If you get in water that would flood that boat and overwhelm the bilge pump your goose is cooked in a covered bow Arima as well. I like that boat. That 21 Pacer they made one or two of would be awesome.

amazing grace

I Will decent with the collective on this one. I think the Pacer would be a good fit for your needs. I have never owned one but think it is the hidden gem in the Arima line up.
I am not wild about the motors or price But think that boat would be a real winner in your situation if you could get the price knocked down  a grand or two.

I like a cuddy myself. Especially in the 19' SR. But the Pacer is so versatile. I personally think it can do a ton of things really well. And all the things on your list for sure. I say take a run at it if the motors are good and the boat is in as nice of shape as it looks. I do not remember seeing one built that late. Not sure when the last one was made?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

headduck

I find myself standing on the bow of our ranger when fishing  with guests...the open bow opens deck area spreads friends out and allows one to fight around the whole hull if needed...seems pretty appealing.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: beancounter on February 16, 2019, 05:39:35 AM

If you get in water that would flood that boat and overwhelm the bilge pump your goose is cooked in a covered bow Arima as well.

Agree with that.

Once I took a wave from a Tug Boat wake over the bow in my Sea Sprinter. The canvas bow cover did not collapse and No water came into the bow. But the wave washed up over the bow cover, up the windshield, and dumped onto our lap and into the cockput. The bilge pump took a while to pump all the water out. Glad it was only one wave.

Gotta watch out for wakes from Mega-Yachts and Navy Ships as well. Many Years ago, a NAVY destroyer wake (allegedly) flooded the town of Avalon on Catalina Island.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BurnsieBabe

One small note about the potty cubby - although an adult cannot fit in, if you keep that door open as well as keeping the door to the bow shut, you achieve privacy on three sides.  Not perfect by any means but better than sitting on a pail in the middle of the boat.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

croaker stroker

Hmmm. You just gave me an idea. Maybe I can hinge an extension for the door that reaches the helm console.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Omega3

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 16, 2019, 11:15:59 AM

If you get in water that would flood that boat and overwhelm the bilge pump your goose is cooked in a covered bow Arima as well.

I couldn't disagree more.I have taken a couple of waves that would fill an open bowed Arima.That little video clip is not rough water.

Agree with that.

Once I took a wave from a Tug Boat wake over the bow in my Sea Sprinter. The canvas bow cover did not collapse and No water came into the bow. But the wave washed up over the bow cover, up the windshield, and dumped onto our lap and into the cockput. The bilge pump took a while to pump all the water out. Glad it was only one wave.

Gotta watch out for wakes from Mega-Yachts and Navy Ships as well. Many Years ago, a NAVY destroyer wake (allegedly) flooded the town of Avalon on Catalina Island.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

croaker stroker

Quote from: Omega3 on February 16, 2019, 06:54:30 PM

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 16, 2019, 11:15:59 AM
Agree with that.

Quote from: Omega3 on February 16, 2019, 06:54:30 PM
I couldn't disagree more.I have taken a couple of waves that would fill an open bowed Arima.That little video clip is not rough water.

I am a "fair weather fisherman"....but... I have been in water that would "cook your Goose" in any Arima.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Croaker were you heading out to the shoe that day?
On afternoons like that, it's always a fun unpredictable ride heading in or out of Angels gate. Between the tugs, platform tenders, and other ships, a day like that can turn into a white knuckle ride, inside the harbor, when one of those boats are close by.  :facepalm:
A couple years ago, I got rocked by a tugs swell that was mixed in, felt like someone took the bottom out. The lifted bow nose worked great on the 2nd swell, but that definitely got the adrenaline going.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

That's the Long Beach opening.  Incoming windwaves and outgoing tide.  As Omega pointed out, not huge,....but very close and uncomfortable.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

mustang65fbk

I am also not a fan of open bow boats, especially out on the open ocean.  In the sound where it's relatively protected, maybe.  Out on the open ocean where the conditions can change in an instant though.  Probably not.  I'd be very nervous about taking that boat out there, especially in rough seas and taking a wave or two over the bow.  I love having a closed bow with a cabin because if you do take some water over the front the water will divert off the sides and not inside the boat.  One of the many really nice thing's about closed bow Arima's is that they add weight to the front of the boat.  Arima's have so much weight in the rear to begin with, with the fuel tank, motor(s), batteries and so on, that any extra weight up front is nice for balancing out the weight distribution of the boat.  This includes the roof of the bow/cabin, gear, fishing poles, downriggers, tackle boxes, downrigger balls and so on.  I also like the closed cabin because you're able to lock up your valuables and gear inside of it.  I leave my boat on the buoy during the summer and if I had an open bow boat I'd feel very uncomfortable leaving thousands of dollars worth of fishing gear out, unlocked where anyone could row up to my boat and take whatever they like.  I'm also assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that the Sprinter's and Pacer's aren't anywhere near as popular as the closed bow Arima's, like the Chaser's or the Ranger's, as Arima doesn't advertise them on their site for sale and I think I've seen one in person before, who happens to be a neighbor of mine..  The only "open bow" type boat they offer anymore is the Sea Angler which I'd describe as more of a center console boat. 

To the OP, ultimately it's your decision and your money... if you think this boat would work well for you and the boating/fishing you do then by all means go with your gut.  I for one don't know enough about boats to look at one myself though, and that's why I always recommend that any buyer bring along a friend who knows their stuff on boats or pay a surveyor, or both.  Before I bought my boat I paid a surveyor $300 to inspect it.  He inspected the boat from bow to stern, all the electronics, switches, the hull, cabin, motor, compression test, sea trial run and everything else.  After the approval of the surveyor I put an offer on the boat and it was accepted.  To me, paying a surveyor the $300 or whatever they might charge, is extra peace of mind to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, to make sure that the condition is actually as it's written in the ad or as the seller describes and you hopefully don't get any bad "surprises" in the near future if you do purchase the boat.  I agree with the others in that it's not a steal of a deal or a great price but I think it's fair price.  Is the seller open to offers?  Arima's hold their value so incredibly well that even if you did buy it and only had it for a couple of years before selling it for a different boat, you'd more than likely break even, or if you did some upgrades you might even make a few bucks.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke