News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

RTIC vs Yeti

Started by Hunter, January 18, 2019, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

I have both and can say unequivocally that for bang for the buck that the RTIC performs every bit as good as the higher branded YETI.   Check out the Google comparison reviews..   Sheri and I did a 7 day houseboat trip to Shushwap Lake in BC this past fall and used the 110.  We kept it on the bow of the houseboat and used it only for storing ice..... and the ice stayed intact for the entire seven days.    Anyway, we now have an assortment of RTIC coolers and believe they are every bit as good as the overpriced YETI's.     

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-145-Blue
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Chief of the Boat

I just bought one of these  online for $69.00 they are $59.00 at the store.  https://www.costco.com/Coho-24-Can-Cooler.product.100469090.html

Dbobby23

I to own a assortment of rtic coolers. I believe the old design rtic coolers are the exact same as a yeti. Yeti sued rtic so they tweaked the design a bit. The old design and new design both kick butt for a price point way cheaper than a yeti.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Fisherdv

The thing that bothers me about the Yeti's is the weight, even empty. Fill it with ice and you better put on a back belt. My wife hates when I bring it because of that. Those RTIC coolers look exactly like a Yeti, but looks like they have some weight to them as well :shrug9: Other than that I like the Yeti. I have a smaller sized one that I put a cushion top on and I use it as a 3rd seat if needed
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Ko Ho

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 18, 2019, 09:06:00 PM
The thing that bothers me about the Yeti's is the weight, even empty. Fill it with ice and you better put on a back belt. My wife hates when I bring it because of that. Those RTIC coolers look exactly like a Yeti, but looks like they have some weight to them as well :shrug9: Other than that I like the Yeti. I have a smaller sized one that I put a cushion top on and I use it as a 3rd seat if needed
:yeahthat: Those chests are beauties. I especially like the colors. But I have to lift my big Igloo (which doubles as a seat) out of the boat after every trip and it's a chore, especially if it's full of fish  :smile1: I think a Yeti/RTIC would break my back.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Hunter

Yeah...... the large RTIC's or YETI's are definitely not made for hauling around for sure..    They are made for holding ice for 8 to 10 days... great for elk camp, fish camp or extended overnights on the boat.   My only point is that for 1/2 the price of the heavily branded YETI you can get pretty much the same performance from the RTIC...
All Garmin Electronics

First Cabin

https://www.kongcoolers.com

These are made just a few miles from me.  Thinking I will buy one for the boat someday.  I've decided that I leave the cooler in the boat 90% of the time so the weight isn't as critical as I thought.  Upside is that the heavy coolers are super stable as a seat.

Anyone have experience with Kong?  They look pretty good.  And good to support local, right?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Hunter

We use the RTIC for ice... 

All Garmin Electronics

StreamFixer

I have a tough time justifying much more than $100 for a cooler.  Igloo (made in Katie TX) have managed to fill my needs so far...  maybe after I win the lottery (but I heard a rumor you have to buy a ticket to do that   :nono: )

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

They are too heavy for me.

I use my Reliable kill bag as a cooler. A smaller alternative is my AO Cooler.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Holoholo808

Regardless of what cooler you use on board I'd suggest some way of strapping it down or blocking it so it can't slide across the deck in heavy seas.  Don't trust the "non-slip" feet on the rotomolded coolers to keep them
in place (ask me how I know). My Aussie Box/Icey Tek 270 quart holds 200 lbs of ice and if it were to start sliding it would be very difficult to stop or dodge. Thankfully I leaned my lesson with a smaller cooler in relatively calm water...
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

ohmytodd

I'm with StreamFixer, I still like my big Igloo. It keeps ice for as long as I ever tend to need it, and for the price I wasn't afraid to drill holes in the top to mount a proper seat.

Now, if one happened to show up in my garage I wouldn't kick it out. From what I've seen, most of the roto molded coolers are cut from similar cloth. Seems to be a market that's correcting itself to a degree as new players emerge.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Markshoreline

I received a Yeti 65 as a gift a couple of years ago.  It's small enough to fit in the cuddy so it's not in the fishing space.  Filled with ice it will last a week or more.  I drain it right onto the floor and never attempt to lift it when full. 
I used to use a 100 qt Marine Igloo at the transom but it is nice not having to walk around a cooler when fishing.  However, when fishing in Canada we bring both, plus another in the cabin.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

SeaRun1

I have a 65 quart RTIC and a soft 25 cooler.  Both are excellent.  We have a plethora of their cups, koozies and bottles.

Many times throughout the year you can get large discounts on their items as well.  Good stuff.

Would love to get a big 110 someday for hunting camp.

SR1
2005 Arima Sea Ranger 19 HT Woodie
1986 Lund 16' Cutthroat Chaser

Ssericz

I have a kysec and it doesn't budge with the giant non skid feet on the bottom. It holds ice longer than any yeti or rtic

I've kept ice close to 2 weeks (12 days full cooler of ice to basket ball size block when I dumped it)

It's seen it's fair share of abuse on the boat and it's holding up great

I love the cooler and wish there was a larger version but this one works. It seriously has never moved  even when it was soo rough that you couldn't stand and taking 4-5ft waves over the top of the house, it was like 8-10ft Washing machine weather  coming out of every direction

GoodDays

Mark Shoreline ......  You dont need to bring an Igloo to Canada.. We have lots  Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha  :doh:

I use a small commercial Fish tote..    its a real bitch to lift when its full of fish.. but what the heck  :-)    :yeahthat:

GoodDays Greg

Markshoreline

When I go to Canada it is the peak of summer and never seen an igloo up there!  August 12-16.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Red 22

I have a yeti I use for whitewater rafting, for it's toughness and the fact that I often have ice after 2 days of travel with 8 days on a River. Often in heat over 100 degrees. It's been worth every penny.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Hunter

Yeah.....  These may not be for everyone due to the weight.    Not really made to carry around but more for extended times with no ice.   Also a real nice option in power outage if someone want to be prepped to keep their frozen items protected for a week.. 

I guess my entire point on this was price and the fact that the RTIC (IMHO) is every bit as good if not better than the Yeti brand...         

My RTIC 145 QT was $264 with Free Shipping to my door......   

YETI doesn't make a 145qt  but their 125qt is $550 and their 160qt is $675!   

All Garmin Electronics