News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima Aluminum Fixed Bracket

Started by Hunter, January 16, 2015, 09:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Hunter

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on February 13, 2015, 05:54:48 PM
Hunter,
We have the exact same countertops is yours quartz?

Nope... It's granite.  Tropic Brown.
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Chief of the Boat

troll4fish

HI Guys, I just mounted my new Arima bracket and my New Honda 4 stroke power tilt kicker. much to my dislike I had to add another 12.5W x 13.0L 3/4" thick 6061-T6 plate to make sure the bolted on transom bracket on my motor had proper bolt hold. I also bought the clamp screw kit and made a security bar to slow down thieves. My cavitation plate is just 1/8" above the sponson bottom but at trolling speed that will not matter at all. My prop will be sufficiently submerged. Just wanted to show it and my progress. Someone posted that us new Arima owners are not real until we show some pictures! I also hung the big dog Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke today, now I am just waiting on control cables and new props and nut kit!
Here are a couple from today (here in Denver we were at almost 70 degrees today with sunny skies!)

Tim
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

charlietuna

Old thread, but was interested in putting one on my new sled... inflation strikes again darnit!
$800 now.  Probably still a reasonable price, but might be put a little further down the ol' wish list for now
17' SeaRanger (sold) / 19' SRST
USCG Licensed Master

Yachter Yat

Troll;  Just asking, but did you have any concerns regarding the additional leveraged weight of your kicker as a result of being mounted so far behind the transom?   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 18, 2019, 12:17:57 PM
   Troll;  Just asking, but did you have any concerns regarding the additional leveraged weight of your kicker as a result of being mounted so far behind the transom?   

Yat

I was looking at that gap?  Would be nice to cut that space in half.

Charlietuna - yikes 800??????   I need to start making these.

Chief of the Boat

If you make them shorter the cowling hits the deck when you tilt the kicker.

Hunter

The Arima fixed brackets are very nice...... but not $800 very nice.   I believe that about half that price would be reasonable/. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Marine40

Thay is a crazy price. They use to be $450. Are you sure they are $800?
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Yachter Yat

Okay, first off, I have to be upfront and admit that I've never had a kicker on a boat; such things are almost unheard of in New England.  That said, I always thought someone should get smart and design a kicker bracket that keeps the motor close to the transom.  I believe raising and lowering could be easily accomplished by the use of a vertical sliding assembly.  It could have adjustable locking points for both upper and lower settings.  Additionally, spring loading could also be employed in order to offset the weight of the motor. In order to accommodate the varying weights of different size motors,  the position of this spring could be adjustable as well. 

As stated, I've never used a kicker, but someone who has might be able to tell me:  Wouldn't it be easier to maneuver a fishing line around a motor that is close to the transom, as opposed to one so far back?   Finally, do you suppose this would (in some way) serve to make connecting to the main easier?   :arms:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

mariner

Yachter, yes you are somewhat correct in stating having a kicker closer to the transom would make it easier to tie to the main.  When the kicker is further out from the transom, it increases the angle at which you have to accommodate with linking up both motors.  The further out it goes the easier it is to have the connecting rod bind and lock up due to the angle offsets.  However as some have mentioned, if you have power trim on the kicker, having it too close to the transom won't allow you to trim the motor up because the tiller handle or the engine cowling will hit the transom.  Also when it's too close to the transom the tie bar will hit against the corner of the transom recess when the steering is turned fully to port.  Too far away from transom and you have to reach further out to use the tiller and it creates more weight due to leverage on the transom. It's definitely a catch 22.
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

jamaica

Another bracket discussion that shows the way I dwelt with the problems & challenges, etc. in this thread.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=11886.msg166463#msg166463
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

mariner

One of the silliest things about garelick height adjustable brackets, even their new beefy 4 stroke brackets which are very secure and sturdy, is their statement that you should never leave it on when trailering the boat.  I don't know of anyone who will be willing to go through the hassles of undoing the mounting screws and undoing all the connected lines and then lifting the darn heavy kicker off and then where would you place it? On its side in the back of the pickup so that it can slide around and get banged up? Or put it on a kicker stand but then your tonneau cover cant close due to the kicker on the stand sitting upright.  When you get to the ramp to do it all over again and then once again when you are done.  Why can't they just install a solid locking mechanism that will keep it on place? I use the transom tie down and lock the kicker to the bracket and then affixed to the transom kicker bracket plate.  It is very secure in this configuration. 
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

La-Z-Buoy

I'm sure that some of the motivation for the "Remove kicker when trailering" is for insurance/liability purposes. The Honda kickers I've owned have instructions on how to properly lay them on their side for hauling purposes. That being said, I've only done that on one boat because you could actually see the fiberglass flex when the kicker was bounced around. Not an Arima. 1988 21ft Seswirl Striker. It was a royal pain. And not even possible now with my remote control Honda. Love the Arima fixed bracket. But $800? May I politely say WOW!
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Yachter Yat

Quote from: mariner on January 19, 2019, 09:07:32 AM
  However as some have mentioned, if you have power trim on the kicker, having it too close to the transom won't allow you to trim the motor up because the tiller handle or the engine cowling will hit the transom. 

Thinking about this; the question that comes to my mind is this:  Is power trim really that common, or for that matter, actually necessary on a kicker motor?  Again, not having any experience with these auxiliary motors puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage.  That said, it seems if a vertical sliding bracket could lift the motor high enough, so that the motor was totally clear of the water, then there souldn't be a problem?? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

jamaica

quote author=mariner link=topic=8489.msg195184#msg195184 date=1547944599]
"On its side in the back of the pickup so that it can slide around and get banged up".

The instructions for my Yam 9.9 with power trim and tilt state" If storing or transporting the outboard motor on it's side put it on a cushion after draining the engine oil".
So after disconnecting fuel and electrical lines you must also drain the oil before at least 2 people remove the 110lb. motor. Not feasible
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Tj805

The arima bracket is 750 shipped not 800
I just installed one and can say it's well built and high quality
My manual tilt Yamaha 8 works perfect and I would never go back to a hydrolic bracket again.
The few I have had never worked right and were a pain .
I wish I had power trim and electric start on my 8 but oh well .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

First Cabin

My boat came with a hell-for-stout fixed bracket.  I don't know who built it, but it is a very simple design and looks like it will last a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8