News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Permanent glue performance

Started by StreamFixer, January 17, 2019, 09:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

We are all likely familiar with 3M 5200 & 4200.  I look upon those products more as a gasket/seal forming product than adhesive.  And we should all know NOTHING adheres to starboard (HDPE).

So which adhesive product works best?  I found this clip to be very informative in that regard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xX7VecgzA

I know where my $$$ will be spent in future projects requiring adhesion (except starboard  :wink: )

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

jamaica

Wow. JB Weld looks like great stuff for the right application.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

realtordarius

Wow!  That's impressive! Those other products can't touch JB Weld.  Guess I need to get something else for the toolbox...
SR 17 / 115 Etec in Vancouver, BC

AJFishin

I've seen this guys videos and he does some really good tests.
Reminds me back in high school when JB Weld helped me fix my broken muffler on my old VW Bug :jester: JB Weld for the win.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

JDB

That Project Farm guy is great.  Plastic, wood, metal, oil, honey, ATFluid, whatever you can think of to put on, in or feed an engine and determine how spectacular the failure will be.  I do enjoy destructive testing.
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

Yachter Yat

JB Weld?  Are you sure you can trust it?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om83ClL7r9M    :doh:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Omega3

The surfaces need to be clean to begin with.In that test you can see the paint on the file and on the JB stuck to the steel.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

croaker stroker

Yep. The bond is only as strong as the black coating that he failed to remove from the file.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

So, it looks like JB Weld stuck to the paint, but the paint didn't stick to the file?  If that's the case then.......Warning to JB Weld users:  Make sure you have "clean" surfaces before applying.  And don't apply to painted surfaces?  Is that fair?  :arms: 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Sure seems like a "Well Duh!!" moment to me.  If the surface is not clean, the bonding agent (regardless of what it is) is not likely to hold the pieces together.   

Hmmm, I want to glue these two pieces of metal...  Let's see, if I wrap each piece of metal in paper, then apply the glue, that should work...   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Yachter Yat

Yeah right!   Here's the thing:   They advertise, it will stick to anything.  Here's my advice:   Don't trust your life to this stuff. 

Yat 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

I've been using this...

Pretty strong stuff. I discovered it when I was studying how to stick down my spray rails.

Sticks to metals, glass, PVC, etc.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

If you watched the video, Loctite came in second, and it is a one part adhesive, where JB is two part.

Yat is right...  Don't trust your life to any adhesive...  That is why we have knuts and boltz   :clap:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

BigMac

Croakers post shows the 2 part Loctite expoy.  Is there better adhesion with this or is the one part used in the video better??  Same??
(Dave)

Danno

Typical one part Loctite is a cyanoacrylate which started out being used to bond skin together on the battlefield. It's a great adhesive but not as aggressive to bonding to some substrates as a two part epoxy adhesive. The other advantage to epoxies is that they have a higher use temperatures. Cyanoacrylates will only handle up to about 200°F whereas epoxies can handle up to 300°F or more depending on the formulation. There are many, many types of each and each should be evaluated individually. My comments are just for comparing the two chemistries in general.

Epoxies can also be used with fillers (talc or fiberglass) and thus can be used to fill gaps. I don't think Cyanoacrylates work well with fillers and should be limited to use with "net" fitted parts.

JB Weld is an epoxy with filler.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

StreamFixer

I used the two part to help hold the bolts when I repaired my captains chair (original bolts pulled out of the flooring).  I have not had a problem with the anchoring system since.  So far So good.  Missed a heck of a good halibut season last year becasue of this problem.

First week-end seat base tore loose --  Repaired with stainless toggles  (I thought)

2nd week-end discovered toggles had not rotated (deployed) and seat base came loose before we cleared end of Jetty.  Finally made the holes large enough to accommodate bolt heads, plugged bottom of hole with wadded paper, inserted bolt (threads up) and filled hole with the 2 part locktite.

While I was doing both of these repairs the boats on each side returned around noon with limits of nice 'buts, first day when problem arose and second while working on repair..  3rd day we got one nice fish in the boat...  Both week-ends..    :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade