News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Best deal on a kicker at the boat show?

Started by FishBio, January 11, 2019, 08:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBio

Anyone have any advice how to get the best deal on a kicker at the Seattle boat show at the end of the month?  :gone_fishing:
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.

Hunter

Just my personal opinion if I was in the market for a kicker only, I'd most definitely be going with an EFI Suzuki 9.9....   Great motors and you can buy a fully loaded long-shaft with power tilt, electric start AND throttle and shifter controls and cable all for under $3K out the door delivered to your driveway.    If you don't need all the bells and whistles then the price just keeps going down from there.  I would have powered all Suzi when I bought the tin can but it wasn't a reasonable option.

Also, I would strongly suggest buying / installing a fixed kicker bracket... (Arima has a great option that is designed for the sponson angles) so you can just plumb the fuel line right into your main fuel tank and operate everything from the either the helm or maybe another location near the dance floor.   Install a tie-bar between your main and kicker and you're in business.

I made the decision to place my kicker controls on the floor up at the main helm and I literally do not have to leave my seat to lower my kicker, fire it up..... then shut down and raise my main and I'm in business.   I always use my kicker (with the prop guard) when making shore landings so the helm location is great for that. 

Here's the link for a great deal on kickers.   Free Shipping to lower 48 and No Sales tax (unless you live in Tennessee).   At a minimum, if you are set on buying at the Seattle boat-show I would print out this online deal and bring it with you and ask them to match...or at least come close.

https://onlineoutboards.com/collections/suzuki-9-9-hp-outboards/products/suzuki-9-9-hp-df9-9btx2-outboard-motor

Also some pics of my kicker controls location and install....

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Salty Dangler

X2 on the Suzi. I got a fully loaded EFI 9.9 last year for 2700 and change, out the door. I love that little motor, and I'll probably replace my main with a Suzuki when the time comes.

Fishgriller

Manufacturers often have rebates/credits or some other incentives during the boat show season, check their websites prior to going.  Some dealers will also run specials in addition to the manufacturers deals.  At last year's Seattle boat show Yamaha had dealer credit with some dealers matching the credit for double the discount.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Markshoreline

I'm a Yamaha guy but having EFI for the same price would cause me to choose the Suzuki.  My carbed Yamaha 9.9 has never had a fuel issue perhaps because it's fuel runs through a Racor water separating filter, I use ethanol free fuel and add Stabil 360 to every tank of fuel.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

ohmytodd

@Hunter, do you find that the factory remote gives you enough control to maintain trolling speed without something like a tr1, trollmaster or itroll? I really like this idea but I've avoided it in case it would be hard to dial in a proper slow thump when trolling 360's and such. I want to do a tr1, but I'm trying to extend my boat bucks a wee bit. This could be an interesting interim solution and good overall upgrade since I like the idea of being able to shift the kicker from the helm.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Hunter

Quote from: ohmytodd on January 13, 2019, 07:01:08 PM
@Hunter, do you find that the factory remote gives you enough control to maintain trolling speed without something like a tr1, trollmaster or itroll? I really like this idea but I've avoided it in case it would be hard to dial in a proper slow thump when trolling 360's and such. I want to do a tr1, but I'm trying to extend my boat bucks a wee bit. This could be an interesting interim solution and good overall upgrade since I like the idea of being able to shift the kicker from the helm.

Yes.... the factory controls up at the helm allow me to maintain speeds from .5 to 4.0 knot's with no issue and with the tie bar  I can steer just as if on the main.   PS....  when on the troll, I keep the main in the down position. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

headduck

I found a decent price during boat show time from a marina who wasnt selling at the show...keep a look out in craigslist at the same time and you could do well.

Fixed bracket is a great idea. Efi would save near annual ethanol related carb issues.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Dbobby23

Auburn Sports at the Puyallup sportsman show usually has killer sales going on. Might be worth a visit. If you are a gear hoarder like me the Puyallup is a must go just to check out the other booths.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Hydroman

Being a WA resident, I would buy it in OR, automatic saving between $250-$300.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Omega3

Quote from: Hydroman on January 14, 2019, 09:14:55 AM
Being a WA resident, I would buy it in OR, automatic saving between $250-$300.

Jim
That is assuming Oregon has a kicker for $250 to $300 less than the price in WA.When I bought my new kicker 2 years ago I paid less with tax in WA and only had to drive 20 miles.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

sunnydude2

I'm hoping there are deals to be had on the 4-6hp kickers for my Hunter.  Always love when the wife green lights me to purchase at the show instead of just looking.  :)

Yachter Yat

Oftentimes, manufacturers offer some fairly substantial incentives, in and around the boat show season.  As an example:  I bought my new Honda 60 in Feb. of 2016.  I was going to buy the new motor, no matter what, but you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when the dealer informed me, Honda cleanly deducted $1000.00, off of my negotiated price, in honor of their show promotion that year.  So.....keep an eye out.......make some calls.......do whatever you have to do.  :wink:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ohmytodd

Quote from: sunnydude2 on January 14, 2019, 12:10:42 PM
I'm hoping there are deals to be had on the 4-6hp kickers for my Hunter.  Always love when the wife green lights me to purchase at the show instead of just looking.  :)

Don't discount the possibility of an 8hp. The difference in vibration from a single to two cylinder is night and day and an 8hp will troll your hunter down just fine. I had a 5hp originally and switching out to an 8 was a great upgrade.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: sunnydude2 on January 14, 2019, 12:10:42 PM

What main do you have on your Hunter? On my Hunter I had a 40 Yamaha 4stroke with a trolling plate. Worked like a champ.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

sunnydude2

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on January 16, 2019, 02:12:16 PMWhat main do you have on your Hunter? On my Hunter I had a 40 Yamaha 4stroke with a trolling plate. Worked like a champ.

I have an 88 Merc 80 2 stroke.  New main not in the cards and the smoke is killing me.

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: sunnydude2 on January 22, 2019, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on January 16, 2019, 02:12:16 PMWhat main do you have on your Hunter? On my Hunter I had a 40 Yamaha 4stroke with a trolling plate. Worked like a champ.

I have an 88 Merc 80 2 stroke.  New main not in the cards and the smoke is killing me.

I feel for you. I had a 120 Johnson VRO on my 17 for a while. Great running motor but embarrassed the spouse so much at the boat ramp on startup that I had her whole hearted blessing to upgrade to 4 stroke. Found a reasonably priced Honda and everybody was happy.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

sunnydude2

Planned to find the best deal on a kicker at the boat show but when browsing facebook marketplace I came across a 2013 5hp Mercury LS with 10 hours which came into my possession yesterday.  :)  That freed up additional boat funds for later.

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

tsuribaka

Tohatsu also has an EFI 9.9 on the market now

tsuribaka

I currently have remote throttle/shift with EZ-Steer but am thinking about swapping over to a tiller kicker with i-Troll or ProTroll and a steering connection at the front of the motor like DevMah described in this thread: http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=16312.0. Then normally I will be able to do everything but shift from the helm and I'll be able to easily switch over to control at the back when needed for example on a solo trip.

I'm guessing everyone weighs this trade-off at one point or another. I'm curious to hear how others reached their choices and if there are any creative solutions out there I haven't thought of.