Author Topic: Gas Tank Fuel Link Fitting  (Read 732 times)

Offline mariner

Gas Tank Fuel Link Fitting
« on: January 10, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
Over the summer, I pulled the tank, drained it, cleaned it till it was as clean as a whistle on the inside, put in a new gasket for the fuel sender, installed new fuel lines, new primer bulbs, new fuel/water separating filter but neglected to inspect the fuel line fitting which attaches to the top of the tank.  I ran my motor the other day on the muffs as I like to do once a month to keep everything lubricated and make sure the fuel in the lines gets some sort of movement etc.   I have noticed a strong gas smell every time I get inside my boat(it's covered with a winter cover).  I went on the boat again today and thought I'd put a flashlight into the fuel compartment to see if I can spot any leaks or issues.  I noticed that there was some evaporated gas residue(yellow stain) around the area on top of the fuel tank near the fitting which connects the fuel line to the top of the tank.  I then noticed some gas residue from the metal bolt-like fitting on top of the tank sealing the fuel line going into the tank.  I believe this is what is causing a small leak and the gas smell.  I am disappointed I didn't catch this or inspect this area when I cleaned out the tank this summer.  Does anyone know whether there is a gasket under that nut?  Anyone know the part number or where I can get the entire fitting(nut, 90 degree angle barb and any other components).   Is this component something that I can replace with the tank in it's current position or does the tank need to be pulled?  If it's not a gasket or o-ring, what sort of sealant is used to seal the connection from the nut to the plastic tank hole?  Not the best time to fiddle with this as the tank is completely full and I am concerned about debris and gunk getting into the full tank while I replace this component.  Thanks.

1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Online Fisherdv

Re: Gas Tank Fuel Link Fitting
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
Is it possible that the fuel your smelling is coming from the fuel vent line? Would be more able to build up with the cover on. Just something to check. The green residue around that fitting may just be algae buildup. Try cleaning it up and see if it reappears. I used to have a problem with a strong fuel odor in my garage from the tank venting. Since then I always store the tank close to full and that seems to have solved the problem.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
I use Permatex thread sealant on all the threaded fuel fittings. White tube, with red lettering.

Offline mariner

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
It's not the fuel vent.  I have it plugged up to prevent humid air from entering the gas tank.  I have a large note taped to the steering wheel reminding me to unblock the vent when I go out.  I cleaned the area around the fuel fitting that is leaking and it seems to be leaking quite a bit as I wiped up a decent amount of fuel that dripped along the slope of the tank to the other side.  Anyone taken this entire fitting apart and replaced?  Is there a threaded hole that goes into the plastic tank?  I would like to replace the entire fitting to prevent issues down the line but not sure what it's called, the size of the fitting or where I can get.  Not sure if there is enough room there with the tank being completely full to be able for me to dismantle.  It might be the connection point where the fuel pickup tube connects to the fitting. 

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »
You might be causing your own problem by taping the vent line closed, this allows the fuel tank to pressurize,  Looking like the fitting might have a jam nut on the outside with no gasket,

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »
You might be causing your own problem by taping the vent line closed, this allows the fuel tank to pressurize,  Looking like the fitting might have a jam nut on the outside with no gasket,

Jim
I agree with Jim here. By blocking off the fuel vent pressure will build up in the system and possibly cause a leak from other fittings as the pressure builds up, and tries to escape. Especially in drastic temperature changes.

Offline mariner

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »
I just unblocked the fuel line vents.  While I don't think this caused it as I do recall the gas smell was around before today and I recall when I cleaned the fuel tank out this summer there was a LOT of evaporated yellow gas residue on top of the fuel tank.    I will undo the fuel pickup fitting in the next day or 2 and investigate.  Just curious if anyone has removed this fuel line fitting and could tell me what is underneath and what to expect or if someone has replace the entire fuel pickup tube and fittings and could give me some advice on which brand/model works best for the arima tank etc..  I've jumped the gun in the past and did things blind and ended up overtightening a nut, missing a critical piece of info on something that costed me a lot of frustration and headaches that could have been avoided if I would have taken my time and got the advice from others who have done it before. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:15:16 PM by mariner »

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
I have never removed the fuel pickup, but I would assume ther is a pickup tube, and possibly a screen on the bottom. Not sure if there is a screen if it would fit out that hole :shrug9: If no response from members that have removed it, you may want to give Belinda a call at Defiance.

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
Give this a look. I haven’t read through the whole thread but it should give you a good idea of what to expect

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/214816-problem-fuel-pickup-inside-tank.html

Online AJFishin

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
Fisher I have to say, I think you're the go to guy on fuel tanks with all the knowledge gained from your thread, IMO your thread should be sticky.
This thread reminds me I need to buy some new filters for my tank, another winter project added to the list.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:00:37 PM by AJFishin »
1996 Sea Chaser 16, Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoker

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Fisher I have to say, I think you're the go to guy on fuel tanks with all the knowledge gained from your thread, IMO your thread should be sticky.
This thread reminds me I need to buy some new filters for my tank, another winter project added to the list.
AJ, glad I could help you get your new year started right with more boat projects  :wink: :beerchug:

Offline mariner

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
I am going to run the main engine tomorrow with the fuel hatch off and will be watching it closely to make sure that the leak is indeed where I believe it to be.  Will try to see how much is leaking and exactly where it is leaking.  Will then take the fuel pickup apart and hopefully I can get it done without having to empty the already filled tank as that would be a royal PITA.  I am hoping it's something simple like a gasket or oring that has worn out under the bolt or perhaps it is the seal on the NPT 3/8" barb fitting that screws into the pickup tube or perhaps it's the point where the pickup tube connects to the 90 degree NPT corner.  Will have to investigate and find out.  I agree that one winter project ends up being a huge list of little projects that add up to a whole lot of time.

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
   Just so's you guys know:   I've kept about 12 to 15 gals. of fuel in my tank over the winter for many years with the vent taped.  Never had this pressure problem you're talking about.  No smell whatsoever.  Right now I have about 15 or so gals. that have been in the tank with the vent closed-off since this past Sept.  No pressure problems, no smell...…….nada.  If that small amount of pressure caused by expansion is creating a venting problem, then I would suggest there may be a fitting or line that could use some attention.    BTW, I've never had water in my tank either.  Can you guess why?  My :twocents:

Yat
Dear Arima:  How about stretching the Sea Hunter 5", the Explorer 13" and the 21's.....16"? 

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline mariner

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

problem solved.  I took the side panel off where the fuel/water separating filter was to inspect all the fittings and seals on the fittings.  Noticed some gas residue on the outlet barb fitting which goes to the main motor.  Because the fuel water separator is above the fuel pickup on the gas tank, it was dripping onto the fuel pickup tube and made it look like that was the source of the small fuel leak.  Because the fuel/water separator is hidden and tucked away I could not see the side that had the leak. The other side of the fuel/water separating assembly and filter was completely clean.   Looks like I did not put the yellow teflon tape far enough inwards on the barb threads and it resulted in an incomplete seal.  When the main motor was running the pressure from the fuel pump created a vaccum which leaked a small amount of fuel out of the barb threads and resulted in a few drips of fuel and the resulting GAS smell.   I replaced and fitting and all is good now. 

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
It is typically not recommended to use Teflon tape on fuel fittings. I recommend Permatex high temp thread sealer.

Online La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
It is typically not recommended to use Teflon tape on fuel fittings.

Agree, although there is a Teflon tape made specifically for gasoline, propane, oil, Butane, etc. etc. Got my roll at Home Depot. Yellow in color.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 12:38:11 PM »
It’s said that the Teflon tape can tear while threading and possibly clog injectors etc. especially if the fittings are on the “out” side of the Racor filter. Although most motors do have another filter under the cowling.

Offline whale

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
If you close off the vent, make sure your tank is full. The pressure issue comes from expanding air. Less air, less pressure. Taping the vent off may not stop the air leak. You will know when you open the gas cap, you will hear it.
Also if you close off on warm day and it gets cold, you will have negative pressure.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Offline mariner

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »
I am using yellow Teflon tape designed for gas and fuels.  It is thicker and stays together when you u thread the barb from the fuel filter assembly unlike the white Teflon tape which disintegrates into small piecesand gets stuck to the inside threads of the fuel filter assembly.  I used a special form of permatex which was recommended to me from a marine supply store.  It was gray in color.  However, I started to notice the sealant almost melting and drippy in some spots.  Found out that the permatex that I used was not compatible with alcohol based elements which ethanol is.  Startled me because if that dissolved gummy gray permatex ever got i to my fuel line it could work its way pass the filters if it was dissolved into the gas and clog the injectors. I found this out by calling permatex. 

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
It’s said that the Teflon tape can tear while threading and possibly clog injectors etc. especially if the fittings are on the “out” side of the Racor filter. Although most motors do have another filter under the cowling.

Agreed.  Liquid anaerobic thread sealant is the way to go on fuel and hydraulic threaded connections. 

A nice bead of liquid thread sealant starting on the second thread of the maie end will do the job.  No need to overdo it.  When the male end is threaded in, you should see a nice even ring of sealant all the way around.  Wipe up excess immediately before it ends up all over your clothes.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »
I am using yellow Teflon tape designed for gas and fuels.  It is thicker and stays together when you u thread the barb from the fuel filter assembly unlike the white Teflon tape which disintegrates into small piecesand gets stuck to the inside threads of the fuel filter assembly.  I used a special form of permatex which was recommended to me from a marine supply store.  It was gray in color.  However, I started to notice the sealant almost melting and drippy in some spots.  Found out that the permatex that I used was not compatible with alcohol based elements which ethanol is.  Startled me because if that dissolved gummy gray permatex ever got i to my fuel line it could work its way pass the filters if it was dissolved into the gas and clog the injectors. I found this out by calling permatex.

You are likely confusing the drippiness of the excess sealant with melting.  When exposed to air, anaerobic thread sealants DO NOT HARDEN.  Excess thread sealant remains wet or drippy.  You should wipe up excess immediately as it will be gooey forever.  The liquid sealants harden in the threads, where they are doing their job.  What Permatex did you use?

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
"Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant replaces Teflon tape or pipe dopes. It cures rapidly to withstand 10,000 PSI within 24 hours. Prevents galling and protects mated threaded surfaces from rust and corrosion. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces."

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
It's nice when you find a problem that is easy to identify, easy to repair and cheap.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Smiggy

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
This is the flex tube that goes into tank and has a strainer.  Also the anti siphon fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mariner

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 06:33:33 PM »
Don't recall the permatex that was used but it was recommmended by the guy who works at the marine supply store.  It dried after install but as I mentioned it became wet looking and seemed like it dripped a few days afterwards.  As I mentioned, I called permatex and they said it was not recommended due to the ethanol in the gas.  I also added the merc step 1 and 2 additive which I believe also includes a strong solvent to clean out the lines and fuel injection system so perhaps that combination of ethanol in fuel and the merc step 1 and 2 was jot a good combo to use.