News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Made some fish descenders

Started by Rokefin, December 31, 2018, 11:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokefin

I saw on here or some other website rock fish descenders so I decided to make some with some larger hooks (I looked for the smallest diameter hook I could find for this size hook). Pretty easy to make this setup with the SST wire, hook and swivels, just add a 2 lb ball or larger and have a designated pole to drop the "illegals" back down.

The other style I saw was the same type of rig but lined with 60 feet of tuna cord, I think this may be quicker and easier to use - just release the descender in the water with the fish on it and let the line go (just as you would with a crab pot), have the line tied off to a cleat, when the line drops to the 60 feet the fish should just pop off....this would leave your hands free to get right back to fishing. Just don't leave the line in the water when you take off :facepalm:

Is 60 feet enough to get the fish to a safe release depth?

AJFishin

Looks good👍
I made a couple for myself last year, worked good. Sometimes the fish don't come off as easy, but a couple little jerks of the pole and the fish come off.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

StreamFixer

Check out OCEAN's website...  https://oceaned.org/request-devices/  They are likely to help you out.  Feel free to mention you heard about that from me.

They put on the Annual Saltwater Sportsman Show in Salem each year.  Well worth attending...  Feb. 23 & 24 this year

I have found 100 feet to be a safe depth to release barotrauma fish caught at 150+ feet deep.  I have had a few pop up to the surface from shallower depths.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

I'm in California. Very nice people who are in charge at OceanED.  They sent me several decenders and stickers to remind other boaters to "release at depth".

I delivered them to "The Longfin" in Orange and they distributed them for me.  :biggrin:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

tripper

Hey Roke,  what size hook is that and where do you hook the victim.  Thanks
tripper

kentakata

I do a lot of bottom fishing on the California North Coast and have used many different designs of descenders.  The Seaquilizer Descender is, by far, the best the best device I have used.  It is easy to secure the fish on the device and it reliably releases at depth.  Unlike many "reverse hook" descenders, you don't have to worry about the fish slipping of of the device.  It securely clamps on the the jaws of the fish.

Rather than using  second rod for the descender, I attach it to my electric downrigger line with a tuna clip.  After attaching the fish to the descender, simply release the downrigger ball to the desired depth.   Once the fish is released, simply press the downrigger "up" button.   Saves a lot of time and effort.

Seaquilizer descenders are  expensive.  They run about $50.   To me it's worth convenience and time savings. 

Rokefin

Kentakata, I agree that 50 bucks would be worth the investment and am sure they would be most concistant. I thought I would make these and give them a go. My rock fishing is minimal due to my addiction to salmon fishing, my bride keeps asking for rock fish so I need to make a better effort at the bottom fish.

Tripper, I believe they were number 5 hooks, I am uncertain what they were designed for.  I used these because their diameter was small compared to larger hooks where the diameters were 2-3 times larger. You hook the bottom lip of the fish with the hook upside down and the weight on the bottom.....let it drop and you should be able to drop the fish to a desired depth - a couple light tugs should be enough to release the fish.

Fishgriller

Just saw today that West Marine is deeply discounting their descending device in their outlet section, $7.16.  Reviews are mixed due to stiff spring, however, in the reviews they also describe how to easily modify the spring for what seems like well functioning, easy to use device.  Probably worth a try for such a low price.

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/buy/blacktip--catch-release-recompression-tool--12118527?recordNum=38
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

StreamFixer

2.5 stars rating...  Hmmmm...  I have usually found West Marine's products to be on sale for a reason...  usually because the product was an experiment that did not work out so well...  Like a medium size handbag with a small tooth aluminum zipper (shame on me for not catching that one).  Not wanting to say anything bad...  it really stays zipped closed... Does not accidentally open...   :doh:

Again, I recommend you contact OCEAN (see reply #2).  They will likely send a shelby descender and fish ID card even if you do not make a donation.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Red 22

Quote from: Fishgriller on January 18, 2019, 10:07:57 AM
Just saw today that West Marine is deeply discounting their descending device in their outlet section, $7.16.  Reviews are mixed due to stiff spring, however, in the reviews they also describe how to easily modify the spring for what seems like well functioning, easy to use device.  Probably worth a try for such a low price.

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/buy/blacktip--catch-release-recompression-tool--12118527?recordNum=38
[/quote

I bought one of those not worth the discounted price. Heck I could give you my old one for free and it's not worth that price. Get the Seaquilizer Descender worth every penny.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Fishgriller

Good to know, thanks for the advice

StreamFixer

Attend the saltwater show Feb 23/24 in Salem and you would likely 'win' a seaqualizer at the wheel of fortune.   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fishgriller

Sounds like a really good event.  Unfortunately I won't be able  make it.