Author Topic: Medical Emergency Lifeflight  (Read 810 times)

Offline Hydroman

Medical Emergency Lifeflight
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
Unfortunately my wife suffered a heart attack while on vacation on the big island in Hawaii and had to be life flighted to Honolulu for medical treatment. We were released from the hospital in Honolulu within four day and were able to fly home on a commercial flight back to Washington state. Since returning home she has experienced two episodes that have required life flights.

I just want to bring to everyone's attention to check their medical insurance to see if their policies cover life flight transportation. If your health insurance doesn't provide the coverage I suggest that enroll with LIFE FLIGHT NETWORK  that covers your area and to buy travel insurance when outside your area.  We live within 25 miles of a hospital in Longview, WA., however do to her condition required treatment in Vancouver, WA.

Fortunately for me my health insurance does cover life flight transportation world wide otherwise I would be in a world of hurt.

My wife is now at home and is recovering as well as you can expect.

Jim

17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline GregE

Re: Medical Emergency Lifeflight
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »
Jim, glad to read she is doing well.  That's got to be stressful for you both.

Good reminder and something I will check on.   i think if you post what the uninsured costs for a Lifeflight would be you'd get some  :bigshock: reactions.

I think it was $27 K when they flew Bandaid'= s grandson from Olympia to Harborview in Seattle-  about an hour :15 drive
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold: Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait;
SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
Glad you had the foresight to have the insurance and that your wife is ok now!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »
Only seen one bill that was submitted to insurance company it was $$$$41,000, I believe it was only for one trip.

Life Flight Network annual cost for flight insurance is $65 per year, covers AK, WA OR for all family members living at home.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
Yes, it is around 40K per flight which seems crazy but that is just the way it is.....the cost is that high because the life flight company's only get paid for 1 out of 3 flights if I recall the numbers correctly.
We have a life flight company here (Reach) and you can join their team for a fee just north of a hundred bucks and I believe it will cover your whole family - that is pretty good insurance for the unpredictable tragedy's that may come up.

Jim, happy to hear your bride is ok and glad you had good coverage. A lot of us are aging and this is a good reminder to look at our benefits.

Funny thing, I took my first ambulance ride Tuesday night, went down while partying with my boss :facepalm:  Dehydration compounded with alcohol :doh: :doh: :doh:  You never know :shrug9:

Re-visit your benefit policies and drink water!!!   
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
 I looked up "Reach" life flight membership, it is 85 bucks a year for the entire family or 65 bucks for us old folks. It covers 38 states with 320 locations - well worth the minimal cost :applause:
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline lloyds

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
Don't have it but should.  If you are in the wilds of Vancouver island and have an emergency you could be in trouble.  Had a friend that got a free ride from Canadian coast Guard when he got poisoned by shellfish.  But then he did it again and it wasn't free that time.

Online DevMah

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
Jim

Wish you wife a speedy recovery.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger  (Tight lines)
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Offline amazing grace

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
Glad you are both home. Prayers sent for you both.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Offline AustinB

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
I was a flight nurse for REACH for a little while and am a huge proponent of folks who either live in a “somewhat” rural area or who participate in activities that are likely to get them a helicopter ride (motorcross, horseback riding, hunting, skiing, etc.) having insurance that covers medical evacuation because it is EXTREMELY expensive. I would caution everyone that there are often multiple providers covering the same service area, and you often DO NOT get to choose who picks you up. So, make sure that you are covered by all of the providers in your area, or that you have a blanket policy.

I wish your wife a speedy and full recovery.

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:52:38 AM »
   Check-out this new Boston MedFlight chopper with the tag initials (EH) honoring Boston Medical Center's trauma surgeon; the late Dr. Erwin Hirsch.  These guys will come get you, whether you can pay or not.  How  strangely coincidental is it that Dr. Hirsch, a major supporter of the MedFlight program, died in a boating accident?   http://www.bu.edu/bostonia/web/medflight/

Yat
Dear Arima:  How about stretching the Sea Hunter 5", the Explorer 13" and the 21's.....16"? 

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
Calstar was a medivac company that is now part of Reach, I have a Calstar tee shirt with their slogan that reads "you have to be sick to fly with us".   One day a guy approaches me about the Calstar shirt and their slogan, he was a medivac pilot in the military and he shared with me their slogan was not too popular with some people "you maul'm we haul'm".
Boatless

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
With running the boat and our off-roading hobbies life flight was important for my insurance choice. Mine current plan is a $15 co pay for a life flight. Not bad considering the minimum charge is 25k for a flight

Offline FishAddict

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »
I recommend life flight coverage to all my clients who travel outside the US and it’s borders.  The major medical plans in WA that follow the ACA rules have it as a covered benefit in the US to the nearest facility capable of treating the condition.  The benefit will almost always be subject to the deductible and out of pocket maximum.  In today’s world many people have Silver or Bronze level plans that can have high deductibles so a stand alone air vac policy wouldn’t hurt within the US.  Read your summary of benefits and evidence of coverage EOC documents for specific coverage and exclusions on your plan.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Offline Redhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
Glad to hear that your wife is okay and recovering. I will keep you and her in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke
19-something Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Offline GregE

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
Seriously looking - silly not too.  MAny of my friends and some relatives have needed ambulance coverage and with our traveling in the back country so much Liveflight coverage seems wise.

Reach and affiliates covers CA and S OR but not WA.

Life Flight Networks covers WA and N OR but not WY, CO  nor AK....

The search goes on

Here's a story for consideration

https://www.ktoo.org/2017/08/13/130000-air-ambulance-ride/

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:39:00 PM by GregE »
Greg

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and kind words for the encouragements.

I'm happy to report that she is on the mends and is showing steady improvements.

Jim :dance: :dance:
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Mooch

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
Wonderful news Jim!  Here's to enjoying good health and many wonderful years together.  :beerchug:
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Currently accepting hot waypoints from WA MA 2-10

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
Hydro...sending prayers for your wife and the family.

Now that we are on Medicare (primary) with Tricare for Life (secondary for retired military) I would assume a life flight would be a covered expense.  At least I would hope so....

I don’t even know where to start on investigating that coverage.

Hope the wife continues to improve.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline GregE

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »
Amen on the wife improvement !!

I have the same coverage Terry,  If I find out something I'll advise everyone.
Greg

Offline OnA

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Hydro, so very glad your wife was able to get the care she needed.  Having an annual membership in some kind of air ambulance service is essential when you live on an island, and about 800 miles from definitive care.  No matter your age or health, stuff happens.  However, here's another fact of life:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019/01/31/more-debris-found-in-water-as-search-for-air-ambulance-enters-3rd-day/

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
It's sad to see loss of life especially for employees who risk their life saving the lives of others daily.  My prayers go out to their families.

The plane that went down in Alaska is the operated by the same company that transported my wife and I in Hawaii. It's also the same plane manufacturer and model of plane.

JIm
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline GregE

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »
Sherri, that is heartbreaking. 
I have friends in Airlift NW that lost a helo several years ago.  It's a small community.
Greg

Offline Mooch

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 07:54:34 AM »
My brother was flying for Airlift NW when the helo went down off Bainbridge Is in 95.  Sadly, i believe theres been at least 2 other helos go down since then, one I remember well going down off Edmonds.  All devastating to the their very tight community.  Thanks to all first responders for your service.  Be safe out there.
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Currently accepting hot waypoints from WA MA 2-10