Author Topic: Fishing braid off a downrigger  (Read 231 times)

Offline fishmiester

Fishing braid off a downrigger
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
Quick question: I plan to fish Blackmouth at Sekiu in April as I usually do, but was thinking about running a rig with braided line, and a topshot. What strength does my topshot leader need to be and how long (setback)?   Braid is hard to make stay in the pinch type releases I use, so I would clip (pinch) into the topshot. The currents sometimes run pretty strong there, so sometimes I go to an 8 inch flasher, or a large fish flash to stay away from current caused releases. I  know there are other types of releases, but I  like to be able to release from the clip with the rod. Any ideas out there? :anyone:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Offline FWilliams

Re: Fishing braid off a downrigger
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:26:40 PM »
I dont use braid but a guy I fish with brings toothpicks with him when he fishes on my boat because he does use braid and I use the pinch style releases clips. he makes a couple of wraps around the wooden toothpick then clamps it in the release, cured his problem on my boat
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
I've thought long and hard about fishing braid with downriggers and keep shying away from it.  But my thought has been to run a top shot that equals your setback (from ball to bait) plus 20' or so.

The reasons I haven't tried this mostly revolve around braid's poor abrasion resistance and low stretch in a very unforgiving fishing environment.  Plus, I typically use very long setbacks (plugs), which would largely negate the advantage of braid.

So I fight blow back with more lead (15-20 lb cannonballs) vice a thinner diameter line. 

All that said, let us know how it works for you if you decide to give it a shot.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
http://www.bigctackle.com/index.html
This solves all your braid to release issues.  You can load the gee whiz out of the rod so it has a good pop up when a fish hits and triggers the release.  Works great.  It does take a little bit to get used to but it's worth the learning curve in the long run.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline fishmiester

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Kim: I have looked at those and wouldn't mind trying them out. Can you release them with the rod before bringing your ball up?
 Aj, the toothpick thing looks interesting
Hemi: I like the idea of the longer topshot, I thought of about 40 ft, of 40lb. flouro.
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Offline fishmiester

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
F Williams, sorry for the wrong name, thanks again for the toothpick tip.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »
I've used braid for several years and have found this release works great.  The trick is to pull the rear clip back until it clips, then it doubles the pinch power.  No false releases!
http://scotty.com/product/no-1176-stacker-downrigger-release-with-6-leader/
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline DevMah

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
I've used braid for several years and have found this release works great.  The trick is to pull the rear clip back until it clips, then it doubles the pinch power.  No false releases!
http://scotty.com/product/no-1176-stacker-downrigger-release-with-6-leader/

X2

Been using braid for last 4 years, I use the same clips a Mark no issues.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 11:24:58 PM »
I have used braid on my Scottys for years. I use have about 6 feet or so of Tuna Cord tied on the bottom of the downriver line. ..so the bottom section that I clip the release clips onto is thicker cord...and better abrasion if you scrape the bottom etc. Clips never move. Hope this helps.. I tie a large bead swivel between the braid and the tuna cord and this acts as a stopper / trigger for the Scotts when retrieving...

Online StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
I second the BigCTackle Pro-release.  My second choice would be the Chamberlain release.  Both work well with braid and are fully adjustable for release tension.

The pro release take a bit of learning to rig properly.  You can wrap on the spindle, but if not done correctly you are creating half-hitches.  Or you can put a loop around your finger, twist three or four times, then transfer the loop directly to the spindle..

My Chamberlain's have seen a lot of travel time and mostly are in the bag as spares.  The pro-troll's are my go-to release.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline charlietuna

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 05:52:20 PM »
I always use braid backing.  Then put a topshot of about 40'.  This way I can run the rig 20' back, then clip a longline clip at the knot and know I have a certain distance spread between rigs.  Never need to worry about the braid in the clip.  I also use the scotty clips, clamped back as far as possible... Would rather bring a fish pinned hard than keep popping out.  My 2 cents
17' SeaRanger
USCG Licensed Master