News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishing braid off a downrigger

Started by fishmiester, December 06, 2018, 11:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmiester

Quick question: I plan to fish Blackmouth at Sekiu in April as I usually do, but was thinking about running a rig with braided line, and a topshot. What strength does my topshot leader need to be and how long (setback)?   Braid is hard to make stay in the pinch type releases I use, so I would clip (pinch) into the topshot. The currents sometimes run pretty strong there, so sometimes I go to an 8 inch flasher, or a large fish flash to stay away from current caused releases. I  know there are other types of releases, but I  like to be able to release from the clip with the rod. Any ideas out there? :anyone:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

FWilliams

I dont use braid but a guy I fish with brings toothpicks with him when he fishes on my boat because he does use braid and I use the pinch style releases clips. he makes a couple of wraps around the wooden toothpick then clamps it in the release, cured his problem on my boat
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

HemiGTX

I've thought long and hard about fishing braid with downriggers and keep shying away from it.  But my thought has been to run a top shot that equals your setback (from ball to bait) plus 20' or so.

The reasons I haven't tried this mostly revolve around braid's poor abrasion resistance and low stretch in a very unforgiving fishing environment.  Plus, I typically use very long setbacks (plugs), which would largely negate the advantage of braid.

So I fight blow back with more lead (15-20 lb cannonballs) vice a thinner diameter line. 

All that said, let us know how it works for you if you decide to give it a shot.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Kimbrey

http://www.bigctackle.com/index.html
This solves all your braid to release issues.  You can load the gee whiz out of the rod so it has a good pop up when a fish hits and triggers the release.  Works great.  It does take a little bit to get used to but it's worth the learning curve in the long run.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

fishmiester

Kim: I have looked at those and wouldn't mind trying them out. Can you release them with the rod before bringing your ball up?
Aj, the toothpick thing looks interesting
Hemi: I like the idea of the longer topshot, I thought of about 40 ft, of 40lb. flouro.
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

fishmiester

F Williams, sorry for the wrong name, thanks again for the toothpick tip.

Markshoreline

I've used braid for several years and have found this release works great.  The trick is to pull the rear clip back until it clips, then it doubles the pinch power.  No false releases!
http://scotty.com/product/no-1176-stacker-downrigger-release-with-6-leader/
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

DevMah

Quote from: Markshoreline on December 06, 2018, 07:55:20 PM
I've used braid for several years and have found this release works great.  The trick is to pull the rear clip back until it clips, then it doubles the pinch power.  No false releases!
http://scotty.com/product/no-1176-stacker-downrigger-release-with-6-leader/

X2

Been using braid for last 4 years, I use the same clips a Mark no issues.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Salmon Hobo

I have used braid on my Scottys for years. I use have about 6 feet or so of Tuna Cord tied on the bottom of the downriver line. ..so the bottom section that I clip the release clips onto is thicker cord...and better abrasion if you scrape the bottom etc. Clips never move. Hope this helps.. I tie a large bead swivel between the braid and the tuna cord and this acts as a stopper / trigger for the Scotts when retrieving...

StreamFixer

I second the BigCTackle Pro-release.  My second choice would be the Chamberlain release.  Both work well with braid and are fully adjustable for release tension.

The pro release take a bit of learning to rig properly.  You can wrap on the spindle, but if not done correctly you are creating half-hitches.  Or you can put a loop around your finger, twist three or four times, then transfer the loop directly to the spindle..

My Chamberlain's have seen a lot of travel time and mostly are in the bag as spares.  The pro-troll's are my go-to release.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

charlietuna

I always use braid backing.  Then put a topshot of about 40'.  This way I can run the rig 20' back, then clip a longline clip at the knot and know I have a certain distance spread between rigs.  Never need to worry about the braid in the clip.  I also use the scotty clips, clamped back as far as possible... Would rather bring a fish pinned hard than keep popping out.  My 2 cents
17' SeaRanger (sold) / 19' SRST
USCG Licensed Master

Habberdasher

Quote from: Salmon Hobo on December 06, 2018, 11:24:58 PM
I have used braid on my Scottys for years. I use have about 6 feet or so of Tuna Cord tied on the bottom of the downriver line. ..so the bottom section that I clip the release clips onto is thicker cord...and better abrasion if you scrape the bottom etc. Clips never move. Hope this helps.. I tie a large bead swivel between the braid and the tuna cord and this acts as a stopper / trigger for the Scotts when retrieving...
I use almost the same system I purchased a snubber made to attach to braid ,sorry I don't know the brand ,we fish an area with a flat bottom and We bottom bounce and seldom loose a ball
Happy New Years
Tom
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

PNW Drifter

Quote from: Salmon Hobo on December 06, 2018, 11:24:58 PM

:yeahthat: I rock the same setup. 8' of 200 lb test mono at the bottom for extra abrasion resistance.

What is a topshot?
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walkaround, Yamaha F150 25" XL, Garmin Electronics, Scotty Stuff

Ko Ho

I believe the original question was about running braid on your reel, not on the downrigger. The topshot is the mono added to the braid as a long leader.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Rokefin

I had to re-read it but the head line is asking about fishing braid off a downrigger - I'm old fashion I guess, I love mono, I don't care for the top shot setups and special releases.