Author Topic: Kicker Remote Throttle Control  (Read 191 times)

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Kicker Remote Throttle Control
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
Christmas is coming and I'm thinking I'm going to get the go ahead to get a remote throttle control for the kicker. The one thing that gives me fits when fishing is getting the Honda at the "right" speed. Being remote control there is difficulty making the small adjustments because of the long throttle cable. Kinda drives me nuts from time to time. Some come with steering control but I don't have "power" steering so don't need that.

Anyone have a Troll Master Pro/Pro2 unit or an Itroll unit? Opinions please.  Thanks.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Online StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Kicker Remote Throttle Control
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
I LOVE my TrollMaster 2. 

The throttle is controlled by a twist knob which drives a servo mounted in the motor cowl.  There is a digital screen that reflects the setting, however, that is a relative number and will change every time you open the cowl and adjust the rod or stop collar on the throttle rod.  The sensitivity is such that I can make a small adjustment to the control box(knob) so fine that I cannot hear the change in motor rpm, but the speed through the water soon changes.

I highly recommend this unit to anyone interested in remote throttle control.  Mine has been in service since 2013. 

I have needed to replace the servo mounted under the motor cowl a couple of times.  You can purchase a new one from manufacturer at around $45 or take the old one to any radio control hobby shop and replace for around $28.  Your call, same unit.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Chief of the Boat

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
I have the same unit as SF and could not endorse it any better. :arms:
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
I have an iTroll in operation past 4 years with zero issues. No matter which you buy I am certain you will find it one of the best improvements to your fishing.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline DevMah

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
I have the Itroll also with the billet mount and hunt feature.
I would strongly recommend it.

http://www.itroll.us/itroll.buy.html

IMO
I don’t think any other controller has as many features as the Itroll.

FEATURES ONLY AVAILABLE ON iTROLL:
• FULLY Weatherproof Design
• In - the - Field Unlockable Software Upgrades to add features & functions
• 1000 Throttle positions
• 32 Character, BACKLIT display for user friendliness
• Last Idle Display - Allows you to reference the throttle setting where you caught the last fish!
• "SCS" - Secondary cruising speed - Reinvents the function of the Max Speed button
• DRAG Mode - Reinvents the function of the Idle / Run switch
• Neutral Safety Feature - Prevents damaged gearboxes when controlling "T" Handle throttle motors
• HUNT mode: Speed varying program. The "Deadliest Tool in Fishing"!
• Adjustable Servo TRAVEL and ROTATION to allow compatibility with the greatest variety of motors.
• Dual Motor Control Capable - Has the ability to control BOTH the kicker and MAIN motor on the same boat!
• Has the ability to be used on MAIN motors (non-kicker)

Dev
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:27:43 PM by DevMah »
2015 21' Sea Ranger
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Online ohmytodd

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
I've got the trollmaster pro 2 and like it. I sent it back for repairs once when water got into it and messed up the LCD (in hindsight it didn't matter, I never look at the number on the control, just the speed on my GPS), but otherwise it's been fine. My only complaint about it isn't the tm2 unit, but the way it connects to my mercury kicker. You have to attached a different control rod from the throttle control to the carb and it rubs a bit on the inside of the motor cowling, sometimes getting a little hung up. I've trained myself to jiggle the throttle control on the motor if I'm near it just to make sure it's free and working properly. For solo fishing it's indispensable.

The only reason I would change the setup will be when I go TR-1 in the future. 
1997 Sea Ranger 19, '04 Honda BF150, '06 Mercury 8

1988 Sea Hunter with Johnson 60 and Honda BF8 for sale!

Offline cohosalmon

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:59:55 PM »
So I was in your shoes, LaZ, a year ago. You can probably still dig up my thread here. After some research on both iTroll and TrollMaster I decided to go for the wireless remote TrollMaster. And I chose this specifically for the wireless option. If I was satisfied with a hardwired version I would have gotten the iTroll because it has better setting and programming options. But the wireless is the best, I hang the wireless remote control around my neck and can adjust the kicker throttle at all times from anywhere on my boat. Awesome, especially when fighting a fish solo. Even if I went overboard I can now just switch the kicker in idle and catch up to my boat! lol Honestly, that's the way to do this!

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Troll Master because of the price and what it offers. The itroll has lots of extra features, a number of which I either don't understand (SCS and Drag Mode) or don't see using (dual motor control and a couple of others). I'll read up on it some more and ask around the neighbor hood and see if there's a boat I can catch a ride on to experience one first hand. I'll let you know what I do. Deciding to own an Arima was a lot easier  :party: . Other stuff, not so much.............
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8