News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishfinder sun shield

Started by Yachter Yat, November 17, 2018, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Could somebody please tell stupid me:  What the hell is wrong with these fishfinder manufacturers?  I don't know why these things don't come with a screen cover that could be made to double as a shade cover.  I mean, wouldn't it make sense to have the screen cover somehow be capable of simply being attached to the top of the unit in order to shade the screen from the sun?   My Raymarine A70 is mounted on the dash, ahead of the wheel, and (most of the time) I find, in order to get good, acceptable screen visibility, I have to shade the screen.  Years ago, I cut this piece of cardboard (from the back of a pad of paper) a few inches or so wide.  I tape this to the top of my fishfinder, with painter's tape, every time I go out.  Amazingly effective at improving my screen visibility.  Not sure if there are any finders out there equipped with this.  If not, just seems it should be something they should be thinking about.   Anybody else find themselves having to do this?  :shrug9:

Yat 
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

I know some of the newer units perform better in strong light, but I have not had any issues with my older (10 yr) Garmin 12" MFD.  I have no meed for screen shade as I can crank up brightness to point of needing two pairs of sunglasses.  Of course, having a Skip HT probably helps some too.   :wink:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Fisherdv

I have never had the need for a sun shield with Lowrance units. I think it really depends on the ff screen.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Extra profit💰💰 Plus they figure there are only a few people out there that need one, so why not charge for one.
I would say same goes for, why doesn't Garmin supply their spray shield for their transducer?
:twocents:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on November 17, 2018, 10:19:12 AM
Extra profit💰💰 Plus they figure there are only a few people out there that need one, so why not charge for one.
I would say same goes for, why doesn't Garmin supply their spray shield for their transducer?
:twocents:
For real, Garmin knows that's a known issue with their transducers

Yachter Yat

I don't know if this problem is exclusive to Raymarine.  I'd find it hard to believe that it is.   All I can say for sure is:  When that sun is high and shining down on that screen, it can get pretty hard to see at times.   Again, that little cardboard "sunshade" seems to do the trick.  Go figure.

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on November 17, 2018, 11:37:34 AM
   I don't know if this problem is exclusive to Raymarine.  I'd find it hard to believe that it is.   All I can say for sure is:  When that sun is high and shining down on that screen, it can get pretty hard to see at times.   Again, that little cardboard "sunshade" seems to do the trick.  Go figure.

Yat
Fish at night, that will solve your problems  :cha:  :wink:

Yachter Yat

Fisher:  That's pretty funny.  No more night stuff for us.  If I even use the words "fish" and "night" in too close proximity in a sentence in front of my wife; I get that "look".   You know the one, don't you?..........The one that makes you begin to wonder how long it will take you to learn how to cook for yourself?   :hoboy:   

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

Quote from: Yachter Yat on November 17, 2018, 11:37:34 AM
Again, that little cardboard "sunshade" seems to do the trick.

Yat, why use a piece of cardboard when you could buy a perfectly good skip top for 3 grand?   (You know how much we like spending your money.  :wink:)

Short of that, have you tried adjusting your Brightness manually.  Auto doesn't always work as advertised.

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

croaker stroker

The new Fishfinders claim to be clearly visable in direct sunlight. They are faster, have better resolution, are much brighter, and some use Thin Film Transistor technology (TFT) instead of LED. So viewing with Polarized sunglasses is not a problem.

Santa will bring you one. Just add it to your wish list.

As meticulous as you are......you are using a cardboard shade ??  Really ??

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

Yacht....  Sounds to me like you just need a quick and easy solution that won't involve buying a new display..   I think if you drop by any hardware store you can pick up some blank corrugated plastic sign material and easily fab something up.   The stuff is light, fairly rigid, waterproof and UV tough..    might cost a buck or two at most. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Yachter Yat

Mooch:  Skip top?  Can't do that.  My baby lives in the garage.  With the canvas up and the sun blocked it seems better, but one course change and.............  I've played a bit with the brightness, but maybe I'm missing something with that adjustment.  Have to admit, I never really got completely through the "learning curve" with this thing.  Remember, this is a Raymarine finder, and so, not being a trained F18 pilot, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.  Guess I'll have to reread the "Bible" that came with this thing. I'm sure there's a "Let there be light" section in there somewhere.  (ha)

Croaker:  Santa came early this year and delivered a new Kubota BX23S tractor.  Not sure if "she's" coming back this way anytime soon.   Even so, I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to ask for any more at this time.  You understand, right?  (haha)

Hunter:  Thanks!  You've given me and idea.  Maybe something a little less "flimsy" that I can quickly attach with some snaps of some kind would be better.  Attaching snaps to a shade should be simple............attaching snaps to the finder?  Gonna have to work on that. 

Yat 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hydroman

Just get some VELCO strips to secure your custom visor.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Yachter Yat

Hydro, thanks.  Yeah, Velcro sounds like it might be a good option.  A bit concerned about "screwing" anything into the side of that thing.  Something tells me I'm going to continue to have this "sun" problem, so I'm looking for a way to make a quick and easy job out of mounting that shade cover.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Go Taps Plastics and get some dark colored plastic sheet. Then use the velcro as previously noted.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

I made one out of a black plastic battery box, cut at an angle and attached with velcro.

Didn't use it long before getting a better fishfinder.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on November 18, 2018, 05:48:32 AM

Croaker:  Santa came early this year and delivered a new Kubota BX23S tractor.  Not sure if "she's" coming back this way anytime soon.   Even so, I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to ask for any more at this time.  You understand, right?  (haha)

Yat

Doesn't hurt to ask.... Just wear a helmet and be fast on your feet. :twocents:

CS

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸