News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New fisfinder

Started by fishmiester, November 09, 2018, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmiester

I am going to replace the old finder in my chaser and have a couple of questions. My main unit is Lowrance 7 unit mounted in the customary place in front of the steering wheel and I use it primary for a chart plotter. If I install a huminbird Helix unit or a garmin unit on the port side dash, will I get interference on the screen from the Lowrance? I am not fond of the newer mid price lowrance units for fish finding as some of them seem to lose bottom and have to reboot. This was not a transducer placement issue. The only concern I would have with the Garmen, is the size of the transducers. Also, The old lowrance unit I am replacing had a Navionix card for Vancouver Island in the card slot but it's an old full size SD card. This unit was in the boat when I bought it, and I don't know if it even works, but I am pretty sure most of the new units take the micro sd cards. Can Navionix cards be downloaded to the new micro cards? Also, thanks to all who helped me with info on the tablet placement I asked about in a pevious thread.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

croaker stroker

Using your old card, You should be able to buy the new Navionics+ Upgrade for $99. Mine came with a microSD and a standard SD card adapter.

I emailed them to be sure my old card was included in the offer. They were very helpful.

Now I have downloaded a detailed bathometric chart of my area. I am very happy with the detailed contour map.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

:yeahthat:
There is a way to copy your big Navionics card to a microSD card, but the cost for the hardware and the headache to do it, is not worth it.

I've seen a lot of units next to each other and separated by 3 feet, so not to sure about interference.

As of now, Garmin doesn't support Navionics in their units, only their Bluechart. But who knows what's going to happen in the future since Garmin bought Navionics.

The Helix g2's and the Garmin 64cv and 74cv are pretty good units with a lot of bells and whistles and can be bought for under $500.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

In February 2019 Garmin is supposed to have a new G3 map that has bottom contour in 1' increments.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 21, 2018, 11:42:11 AM

In February 2019 Garmin is supposed to have a new G3 map that has bottom contour in 1' increments.

I just saw that article last week announcing Garmin's Bluechart integration with Navionics,  Bluechart G3  :biggrin:. So I ended up buying the Garmin 74cv, couldn't pass up the deal :cha: :biggrin:

https://www.navionics.com/fin/blog/post/new-garmin-cartography-featuring-navionics-data-announced/

dbhazjack

I started with a Lowrance HDS 5 gen 2. Couple years ago I bought a HDS touch 9" gen 3. I have the 9" mounted behind the steering wheel and the 5" in front of the passenger. The two are tied together with an Ethernet cable. They share maps and transducers but can be operated as stand alone.

No problem losing bottom with the P66 ducer.

I like this setup because I can see at least one of the screens from the dance floor even when a fishing buddy is blocking a screen. (Always a problem with one unit). And, the passenger can work their side as they like.  :twocents:
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

croaker stroker

Quote from: AJFishin on November 21, 2018, 01:24:31 PM

I just saw that article last week announcing Garmin's Bluechart integration with Navionics,  Bluechart G3  :biggrin:. So I ended up buying the Garmin 74cv, couldn't pass up the deal :cha: :biggrin:

https://www.navionics.com/fin/blog/post/new-garmin-cartography-featuring-navionics-data-announced/

Did you get the touch screen with button assist, or the non-touch screen ?  What transducer are you running ? .....do you like it ?  .... final answer.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 21, 2018, 08:08:11 PM
Quote from: AJFishin on November 21, 2018, 01:24:31 PM

Did you get the touch screen with button assist, or the non-touch screen ?  What transducer are you running ? .....do you like it ?  .... final answer.   :jester:

No touchscreen and it came with the CV23M-TM transducer. I haven't had the time to install it yet, but it's huge compared to my HB Helix 5. I also like the backlit buttons and the nice cover that came with :smile1:
I like my HB but the menu gets me frustrated and no backlit buttons at night sucks.
From the demo I played around with, it has some really nice features, it runs very smooth, and it's comfortable going back to the echomap series.
Hopefully I'll have it installed by the following weekend to be able to try it out.

croaker stroker

We went to the Belching Beaver Brewery.

Then we went to Westmarine for the Black Friday sale.   :shrug9: :doh: :beerchug:

Should never drink and go to Westmarine.  🤪

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Very nice CS! :applause: What ducer are you going to run with it?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

It came with the totalscan transducer. I'll just run that. One of the reasons I bought it was I can run my Navionics+ fish-n-chips map that I already own. When I opened the box, it already came with two Navionics cards. One is Lowrance Elite Navionics. ??  The other is Navionics+. ??

Confusing. Guess I'll learn more when I have a chance to dive into it.

Maybe I can sell the card if I don't need it ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

Just bite the bullet like me and get furuno ! :biggrin:
Was worth every single penny .
I would never ever go back to lowrance / Garmin/raymarie .
After having this furuno unit .
The ease of use is amazing and the unit just flat out works .
From the second I leave the dock till I return .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Tj805 on November 23, 2018, 08:37:29 PM

Which Furuno unit did you go with?
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

croaker stroker

Furuno and Westmarine don't like each other.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

mustang65fbk

I guess I was just curious because I've got a Furuno GP1870F currently that my boat came with when I purchased and I can't stand it.  I know it's outdated and has since been discontinued so it's hard to compare older technology to new units but good lord... way too many buttons, too confusing and the roto-dial thing doesn't help at all.  I love touch screen units that are simple and easy.  I've tried messing around with the Furuno unit that I've got on several occasions and am a relatively tech savvy kind of guy... that being said this thing is confusing as can be.  I'll definitely be upgrading before this summer and the salmon season, likely I'll go with the Garmin 7600/8600xsv series with their new maps coming out in February. 
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

DevMah

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 23, 2018, 08:10:42 PM
We went to the Belching Beaver Brewery.

Then we went to Westmarine for the Black Friday sale.   :shrug9: :doh: :beerchug:

Should never drink and go to Westmarine.  🤪

Croaker

It's a good unit!! and a good deal!! For the Simrad!!

I have the Lowrance HDS 9 Hen 3 and I have been loving it... I have radar , 3d structure , point 1 GPS and now  I just got the hydraulic autopilot kit for it...plan to install next summer with my Seadek.

Cheers !!!

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

croaker stroker

Mustang, I feel your pain. I looked at all the units for a long time and studied the comments of users. I researched all the different features and got suggestions and help from a lot of people befor making my decision.

Then, After drinking a few beers, I walked into Westmarine on Black Friday. I spent about an hour talking to a very knowledable guy in the fishfinder department. Still undecided, I turned to walk out and tripped on the bottom stack of a pyrimid of Simrad units on display. Feeling that it was a sign from above, I picked up one of those Simrads and bought it.  :beerchug:

Dev, I really intended to buy a Lowrance Carbon unit....but who can pass a sign from above ??   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

CS, since you mainly fish in open water I think the Simrad is a great unit for that. I almost got a Simrad myself. I see it as more of an ocean ff. If I'm making any sense  :shrug9:

croaker stroker

The It was a pretty good deal. $899. And it comes with a $300 transducer, $125 Navionics+, and triple points ($30 credit for every $250 spent)

I got two Navionics cards in the box. I don't know what the purpose is of two cards ?.

msd/neb-3/sim9
Msd/neb-3/eli9

I'll probably learn when I go to install everything.

Thinking of how I can run the Transducer cable through the fishbox. The Humminbird is run up the port gunwale, around the bow, and back to the helm which required an extension cable. I don't really want to put an extension on this one incase there might be some line-loss. ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DevMah

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 24, 2018, 10:54:43 AM
The It was a pretty good deal. $899. And it comes with a $300 transducer, $125 Navionics+, and triple points ($30 credit for every $250 spent)

I got two Navionics cards in the box. I don't know what the purpose is of two cards ?.

msd/neb-3/sim9
Msd/neb-3/eli9

I'll probably learn when I go to install everything.

Thinking of how I can run the Transducer cable through the fishbox. The Humminbird is run up the port gunwale, around the bow, and back to the helm which required an extension cable. I don't really want to put an extension on this one incase there might be some line-loss. ??

I believe they may be your area maps for Canada and USA and the other called C-Map insight

I believe you also qualify for this promo.

https://newcontent.westmarine.com/documents/pdfs/Rebates/091718-123118Simrad_CMAP_Rebate_Form3.pdf

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

croaker stroker

Thanks Dev !   :arms:

I copied that and will send in for it.

I don't know anything about C-Maps. But if it's free, Its for me!   :jester: 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

A few more cold ones and you may see yourself ordering a new Airmar TM150 transducer  :beerchug: Do some searching on the Simrad with TM150, looks very nice. You may be happy with the totalscan though.

croaker stroker

I have never used the down scan or side scan before. I am old school when it comes to fishfinders. I started with the Lowrance paper chart and through-hull Airmar way back when. We had to make our own faring for the transducers out of teak. So, I am really reluctant and don't see the need for anything other than a "traditional" echo sounder.

But everyone who uses the side and down scan raves about the benefit....we'll see.  👍🏻👎🏻

If I don't like it...I'm getting the tm-150  :biggrin:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

Quote from: mustang65fbk on November 23, 2018, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: Tj805 on November 23, 2018, 08:37:29 PM

Which Furuno unit did you go with

I have a 1871 f
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

fishmiester

Well guys, I finally broke down and ordered a Huminbird Helix 5/g2. Downscan, chirp, but no side imaging. I watched a lot of videos on them and read a lot of reviews. Didn't need anything fancy and it looks like I am going to have fun programing this thing. One of the things I like about it is you can save screenshots of bottom contours and fish or baitballs or what ever. Pretty cool when you can get back to the dock and say "Man, we ran up on a reef with a pile of fish on it" and you can prove it with the saved screen shot. It saves that spot as a waypoint on your chart also. It hasn't arrived yet, and probably won't get installed on the boat for at least a couple of weeks.  Croaker, I didn't go to the pub before I bought it just ate waayy too much Thanksgiving dinner, plopped down in my recliner and to settle my stomach, reached for my credit card grabbed the laptop and the rest is history. Slept well with visions of fresh seabass and ling cod in my head. :jester:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat