News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea ranger 17 fuel capacity puzzle

Started by Qwakwak, October 11, 2018, 05:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwakwak

I have been under the impression a 1989 Sea Ranger has a fuel tank capacity of 23 gallons. My son ran out of gas while fishing. He claims he added 2 gal to the tank to get back to the harbor, about 3 miles. He then added 9 gal and said gas burped out the filler. It's not uncommon for this to happen when filling the tank. He said it was full. I thought it was just an air block. I tried to add more gas and it immediately overflowed out of the filler hole. So now I'm puzzled  - is the capacity 23 gal or something less? What could be the cause of "running out of gas" if the tank is 23 gal but 9 gal filled it up? I need your expert opinions.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc

Fisherdv

Did he actually physically look at the tank to see the fuel level? My tank will burp out the filler if pumping any faster than a trickle. Even with an empty tank. Because of this he may have mistakenly thought the tank was full. If the tank actually does have fuel in it then I would be looking for a blockage in the fuel vent line or some other fuel related issue
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Arimadrifter

Agree with DV. Take a look at the tank and it should be see-thru-enough to see the level. If not, try cleaning the front of the tank and you should be able to see the level.
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

First Cabin

Yes.  The best fuel gauge is a visual look.  Is it full or not? :shrug9:

The factory tank of that vintage Arima is probably 23 gallons.  I think that's what my 87 was.  You have a factory tank, right?

Let's assume it is full now.   That means your son thinks he ran out of gas, but really didn't.  How did he determine he was out of gas?  In the time it took for him to decide he was out of gas, get 2 gallons, and restart the motor...something changed.... heat(electrical)....fuel pressure(fuel pump)....or gremlins...

Could be anything.  First let's determine whether he ran out of gas.  Then let's try and recreate the problem.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

I recommend bringing the boat empty to a floating fuel dock.  take a 3/8" dowel and mark with a sharpie each 5 gallons added to the tank.  Put the stick in one of the rod holders along the side of the boat.  You will always know exactly how much fuel is left.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Qwakwak

I've done all those things recommended by all of you. The tank is full. I've done a visual inspection. I've already marked the tank with gallon calibrations. I don't think he ran out of gas. But can't determine why it wouldn't start and then did when he added gas. Motor was just serviced yesterday and nothing wrong appeared. I'm also considering he put in the two gallons and then 19 instead of 9.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.

Qwakwak

The vent works fine. Now I'm thinking he may have put 19 gal and he misunderstood the gas dock attendant. You can't read the pump from the boat. He probably didn't pay attention to the credit card slip and just signed lt. that seems to be the most logical explanation.

First Cabin

So....did he run out of gas or not?

If you can't answer that question, the rest is naught.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

davidsea

If none of the other suggestions work, this is a longshot, but after 28 years in a boat, it's possible.  Look for a crack or hole in the fuel pickup tube inside the tank.  If this happens, the motor will only draw fuel down to the level of the hole.  Below that, it will only suck air, because air is less dense and easier to move than fuel.  This happened to me in an old car, and it turned a 16 Gal. tank into a 7 gallon tank.   :facepalm:
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

ohmytodd

Quote from: Qwakwak on October 11, 2018, 09:48:21 PM
Motor was just serviced yesterday and nothing wrong appeared.

That may be the biggest clue so far. Put the question to the person who did the service, retrace those steps and see if you can find what the problem is. It may be something super simple that you're not even looking for.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Rokefin

Puzzling......good news is he had spare fuel with him.

Well I say puzzling but the fact is if you have a stock fuel tank it will be 23 gallons - either the tank is smaller or there is a fuel feed problem, the latter being the puzzling part.

Mooch

PITA.  Nothing more aggravating than fuel and/or electrical issues on a boat.  Definately worth chasing down till you are fully satisfied with answer or solution no matter how trivial it seems.  Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Holokai

Check the sales slip fro the fuel dock.  The cost between 9 gals and 19 gals is a big difference in cost.

strokersquid

For some reason I thought my 92 SR held 28 gal. Do I remember wrongly ? Or did they change to a larger tank stock ?

Arimadrifter

Squid - I think the original integrated fuel tanks on the earlier 17s were 23 gallons. My 17 SC is a '91 and it has a 23 gallon tank. Arima managed to upgrade the tank size sometime after that ('91) to I believe a 27 or 28 gallon tank. Some of the earlier models were able to upgrade to the larger tanks and some like mine, were not.
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

realtordarius

16 gallon tank....my opinion....

Mine is a 16 and there's no doubt about that....
SR 17 / 115 Etec in Vancouver, BC

croaker stroker

This thread discusses the various tank sizes and years used...

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=65.50
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Quote from: realtordarius on October 17, 2018, 08:00:09 PM
16 gallon tank....my opinion....

Mine is a 16 and there's no doubt about that....

Maybe the early models were 16 gallon tanks.

I had a 89 17 ft Chaser and it did have the 23 gallon tank but it is probable that it was an upgrade, the Chaser was set up for offshore - it had a custom cuddy tank in the bow also.