News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Quality vacuum sealer?

Started by Fisherdv, September 25, 2018, 09:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I've been using a top of the line, stainless steel food saver brand vacuum sealer and I'm not impressed. When sealing salmon fillets it still leaves some air gaps in the bag. It's almost like the vacuum motor is not powerful enough to pull all of the air out. I will still get some freezer burn on the fillets from the air left. Can you guys recommend a good quality sealer that has a good, powerful vacuum to squeeze the bags tight with no air? I'm tired of wasting freezer burned meat. Thx
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Holoholo808

I've used a few of the food saver brand ones ranging in price from $40-$120 or so and they're all about the same as far as performance; the expensive ones just seem to have more bells and whistles.

Honestly, the best I've seen were the chamber vacuum sealers that the fishing lodges use in Alaska. I'm sure they're not cheap, though...

I've also heard good things about Nesco (better suction) but have yet to try one.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

croaker stroker

There must be something wrong with your machine. I've used the cheap plastic $15 Thrift Store Seal-a-Meal for years. I buy 100 qty bags on Ebay.

Try cleaning the rubber gasket with a wet sponge. Sometimes just a speck of dried goo will cause a leak.

If the gasket is nicked, it may need to be replaced.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

jamaica

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp210-maintenance-free-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

A great vacuum sealer but expensive. I made the leap last year and am very happy I did. I had been replacing my food savers about every two years, not to mention the failed seals and freezer burned food even though I always double sealed things. The vacmaster always double seals and I have never had a failure and will never need to replace it (knock on wood). I paid about $200. less on a sale they had around X-mas. I think they have that sale every year and maybe more often if you watch..
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Kimbrey

It depends how much $$ you are willing to cough up.  Chamber sealers really are the way to go but they are a chunk of change.  I have the Minipack Torre brand that i bought a few years ago....man they've gone up in price.  I bought mine because it's capable of sealing the retort pouches which you can pressure can fish in instead of jars.  I understand the regular bags or pouches are much cheaper versus a regular vacuum sealer bags since they don't need the inside ridges for the air to be vacuumed out of the pouch.  I also use a 5mm bag for salmon which most of the time doesn't get punctured by pin bones.  Not 100% but most of the time.  I usually cut my salmon in a meal portion so don't pack whole fillets.  Depending on fillet size sealing a whole fillet might be difficult. 

Last year a bought a package of Prime New York cut steaks from Costco.  Cooked a couple up, cast iron skillet of course, vacuumed packed the other and froze.  Pulled it out of the freezer a year or longer latter.  Couldn't tell the difference from fresh to year old.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

desertdog

this is the one I use, can't go wrong with Vacmaster and 4 mil bags. I bought the oil pump version since it will probably out last me.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-10-1-4-seal-bar/120VMASVP215.html

croaker stroker

My wife wont let me have one of those big ones. 😥

I told her we could just keep it on the kitchen counter and she kicked me in the shin.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on September 25, 2018, 11:05:20 AM

I told her we could just keep it on the kitchen counter and she kicked me in the shin.
Though I've never tried it there are many other uses that your wife might like...maybe.  I've heard you can put cucumbers or whatever in a pouch along with pickling spices.  Push the button...voila instant pickles!!!  Infused.  Probably a good way to do an instant marinade.  Then there's the Sous Vide way of cooking.  Seal the meal in a pouch and toss into a pot of water that is held at whatever temp you want by the Sous Vide device.  Never tried that either but it sounds interesting.  It's supposed to be a good way to make a perfect steak.  Bring the steak up to the temp you want in the water, pull out of pouch and then slap it in a cast iron skillet to sear....voila perfect cooked steak.
She'll probably be begging you for one soon...... :dance:
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

croaker stroker

Quote from: Kimbrey on September 25, 2018, 11:50:41 AM

Though I've never tried it there are many other uses that your wife might like...maybe.  I've heard you can put cucumbers or whatever in a pouch along with pickling spices.  Push the button...voila instant pickles!!!  Infused.  Probably a good way to do an instant marinade.  Then there's the Sous Vide way of cooking.  Seal the meal in a pouch and toss into a pot of water that is held at whatever temp you want by the Sous Vide device.  Never tried that either but it sounds interesting.  It's supposed to be a good way to make a perfect steak.  Bring the steak up to the temp you want in the water, pull out of pouch and then slap it in a cast iron skillet to sear....voila perfect cooked steak.

I read your suggestion to her..... Her reply....."Boys like toys".   :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on September 25, 2018, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: Kimbrey on September 25, 2018, 11:50:41 AM

I read your suggestion to her..... Her reply....."Boys like toys".   :shrug9:
Smart woman she is.  Our place at Westport, my wife named it....The Toy Box but there's a little lookout/tower built into it so we can see the ocean which is called "The Queens Tower"....she has gone way past the Princess stage.

BigMac

Kimberly--
Sous Vide cooking makes even an amateur look good!
You can get a machine that works to heat the water (and keeps it at the prescribed temperature) for as little as $20-30.  I have the one that's programmed via blue tooth for $180.  IMO, the good features make it worth the price.
I've used the FoodSaver for many years.  Beginning to believe the relatively short shelf life of our frozen meat (particularly salmon) may be a factor as not enough air gets evacuated. 
(Dave)

Rokefin

I've been using a Foodsaver on ducks and fish for years without any problems. My model is not new or expensive but it keeps on working.

For best protection I double wrap my fish - first I wrap the fish tightly with plastic saran wrap to help keep air off of the fish, then vacuum seal.  Works great, just make sure when you pass out fish that you warn recipients that it is double wrapped - had a couple friends put the fish on the grill with the plastic wrap still wrapped :facepalm:

Also a chest freezer is much better than your house fridge/freezer - I finally got smart and invested in a small chest freezer.

Wiley

Look on Amazon.. they're customer reviews and comments are very informative.
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

jamaica

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-Stainless-Professional-Kitchen/dp/B000GWED7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537913597&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+steel+rolling+cart+table

Ours sits on one of these. The Vacmaster is too big for any countertop we want to give up. We have a good spot for it to roll out of the way when not being used. With the slide out tray it stores all the bags etc. The quality of the finished vacuum packed product is way better than we used to get with the Foodsavers we have owned. I expect it to get passed down to my son when I'm "done with it". 
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Rokefin

I've used one of those Vacmasters - they are top notch work extremely well.

Kimbrey

Quote from: BigMac on September 25, 2018, 01:12:37 PM
Kimberly--
Sous Vide cooking makes even an amateur look good!
You can get a machine that works to heat the water (and keeps it at the prescribed temperature) for as little as $20-30.  I have the one that's programmed via blue tooth for $180.  IMO, the good features make it worth the price.
I've used the FoodSaver for many years.  Beginning to believe the relatively short shelf life of our frozen meat (particularly salmon) may be a factor as not enough air gets evacuated. 
(Dave)
My particular chamber sealer I think evacs 99.9 percent of the air out of the chamber before the heat/seal bar drops down to seal the bag.  You can program it to evac less if you want. 

OnA

I just freeze my salmon in the round. Viola! A natural seal. When ready for dinner, I use an electric saw to cut off what I need. Salmon will last for a good year, but that's all I need 'cuz then it's fishing season again.

Zarn

Quality is where you find it & how you take care of what your buy. I own 7 food saver vac machines. None of these are under 10 years old. The best we own are the two V1085 models These are at least 18 y/o. Never any issues except one sealing strip died, easy/inexpensive to replace. All except one were bought used at thrift store or garage sale for pennies on the dollar. We purchase 3-4 mil pre-made vac bags in bulk (500-1000 at a time) @ $0.13 per bag compared to the food saver bags @ approx $0.48 each. I can setup all five at once when needed & pump out double sealed products every 2.5 minutes. Can't do that w/ a single station chamber system.

Now one can spend the big bucks on a single station chamber vac. I have used friend's Vac Masters but personally I do not feel the money would be well spent.  Couple of things. NEVER vac pack overly "wet" items. We freeze a wide variety of produce from hops, soup, crab, full carks, fillets, fresh vegies, deserts, etc. Get liquid in the pump it renders the machine useless. We always pre-freeze wet items in square tupperware type containers then vac them. Care is needed w/ vac'ed products. Clang the bags together even slightly, drop the bagged frozen product on the floor & most times the seal will be broken. It takes only a pin hole. Most issues w/ vac'ed products are human orientated. We routinely boil & micro wave right in the bag w/ excellent results.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Fisherdv

All of the food savers I've ever owned including this new stainless steel top of the line one I got last year do not have a powerful enough vacuum. It stops vacuuming and there is still air gaps in the bag. (Its fully automatic). I have no way to get the air pockets out. It would be fine if the motor was more powerful
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Quote from: jamaica on September 25, 2018, 10:20:39 AM
https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp210-maintenance-free-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

A great vacuum sealer but expensive. I made the leap last year and am very happy I did. I had been replacing my food savers about every two years, not to mention the failed seals and freezer burned food even though I always double sealed things. The vacmaster always double seals and I have never had a failure and will never need to replace it (knock on wood). I paid about $200. less on a sale they had around X-mas. I think they have that sale every year and maybe more often if you watch..

:yeahthat:
My friend has this and it's great, expensive, but it really seals meat up and keeps it fresh for a long time.  He's always giving me fish and there's been times were we've cooked up some fish that was 5 month or so old and it always tastes like it was just caught.

CS, my friend processes everything in his garage and that's where he has his vacmaster and deep freezer, so maybe a solution :shrug9:

He're's some blue fin he gave me vacuum packed.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Quote from: AJFishin on September 25, 2018, 10:36:54 PM

CS, my friend processes everything in his garage and that's where he has his vacmaster and deep freezer, so maybe a solution :shrug9:

Thanks AJ. My $15 vacuum packer actually works good enough for us. We use it for many other things as well as packing fish. It works really good for walnuts, rice, steaks. It is just the two of us, so when we buy stuff at Costco we split it into smaller portions and vacuum pack for future use. It is small and light weight, so we can drag it out of the kitchen cabinet, pack as needed, and replace in the cabinet.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Very nice CS.
I think a vacuum sealer should come with every Costco membership :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Tom Mac

I'm on my second cheaper sealer now, looks like the foam seals have been discontinued for my first one. Have noticed with fish its hard to get all the air out. I have found if you make the bag, put the fish in it, lay flat in the freezer over night, then pull it out and vacuum pack the frozen fish it works much better. It would be nice to have one of the high power ones but just can't justify the cost.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Rokefin

Foodsaver vac sealed smoked salmon - seems to work efficiently

croaker stroker

Quote from: Tom Mac on September 26, 2018, 06:00:45 AM
I'm on my second cheaper sealer now, looks like the foam seals have been discontinued for my first one. Have noticed with fish its hard to get all the air out. I have found if you make the bag, put the fish in it, lay flat in the freezer over night, then pull it out and vacuum pack the frozen fish it works much better. It would be nice to have one of the high power ones but just can't justify the cost.

Not sure if this is the correct gaskets ??

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Repair-Kit-Replacement-T910-00075/dp/B06XP1QGK9?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06XP1QGK9

Also, I dont buy the rolls. I buy the bags on Ebay. (100 count)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸