News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Outboard for a 14' Livingston

Started by KTACK174, September 21, 2018, 10:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTACK174

My son is looking to replace the outboard on his 14' Livingstone, what would be the perfect motor for use as both the main and to be able to troll down for Chinook and Coho.  It has steering and controls, current motor is a 25hp Evinrude 2 stroke.  Any suggestions ?
1999 15'11" Arima SeaChaser   2000 Suzuki 70hp 4-Stroke

davidsea

Some time ago, I had experience with that hull.  A good friend had one, and as I remember, it was rated for 20 HP tiller, 40HP remote steering - this was in the 2-stroke era of lightweight motors.  Bare hull weight with forward steering was 400# +/-.  I think the beam was about 5 1/2 feet, no motor well, and with a 20" transom height, the sides of the boat were only about 2" higher than that.  The tunnel between the hulls really eased the ride - it was a dream compared to the 13 - 14 foot Whalers - but it also decreased buoyancy, so they don't have a lot of freeboard at rest.   We rigged it with a Chrysler 55 - this was a 150#, 55HP 2-stroke.    :nono:   Hey, it was what we had.  :shrug9: The end result was awesome acceleration, and more top end than the hull was happy with.  Didn't have power trim and needed it badly. Handling at close to 40 was "iffy", and if you turned too tight, it would hook on the outside hull and loose 30MPH in a heartbeat. He got spit out of the boat more than once.
      Your 25 Evinrude likely weighs around 120-130#. Hopefully, your performance with that power is acceptable.  In the modern 4-stroke era, I think you will be stuck with 25-30 horsepower, and given the extra weight, your performance is not likely to improve.  All the available new motors in that size  - Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Honda, Mercury, and Evinrude - are going to be in the 150-160# range, and you really don't want to add more weight than that.   Lightest is the Yamaha 25 @ 143#.  If you could find a low-time used 30-40HP 2-stroke, it might be worth considering.   :twocents:
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)