News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Forget swimming on Cape Cod

Started by Yachter Yat, September 17, 2018, 06:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

https://people.com/human-interest/man-killed-shark-attack-arthur-medici-26/

It's getting ridiculous!  Ever since the seal population was allowed to go unchecked out there; in the past few years, the White Shark count out on Cape Cod has literally exploded.  One man bitten earlier this summer still recovering in Boston, and now, this young man killed.  All summer, it seemed like almost every evening there was something on the news about these sharks.  Most people don't even dare set foot in the water.   We used to love going down to Martha's Vineyard to boat and swim in, what was always, much warmer salt water than off our coast.   I don't know........those days may be over. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Southern California has the same situation. The "save the mammals" groups have gone overboard (pardon the pun) saving the Sea Lions. There must be sooo much money donated to these groups that they have become politically powerful. But they have now upset the balance of nature. I think there should be restrictions placed on these groups.

I just got back from a trip to Denali National Park. There are rules in place in the Park which forbids humans from interacting with the animals. If an animal is seen dieing or in distress, people are forbidden to interfere.

In my lifetime, I have never seen White Sharks and Orcas spotted so often in Southern California. I have also never seen Sea Lions so overpopulated.

In Newport beach, they even have a "Seal Abatement" business to protect the moored boats.  :hoboy:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/39062055/watch-pod-of-orcas-swimming-off-san-diego-coast

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

I'm not sure what would scare me more.........Great Whites or Orcas. :bigshock:   With respect to Cape Cod, the concern now is the effect this recent increase in the White Shark population is going to have on the tourist industry.  The two people bitten, within a short period of time, (and one killed) made the National news, but it goes deeper than that.  What you may not hear much about is the often "clearing" of the water by the lifeguards because one of these monsters is seen a stone's throw from the beach.  Miles and miles of sandy beaches and water warm enough to tolerate isn't going to do the tourist industry much good if something isn't done.  In fact, there's been some talk in the news regarding how some of the towns plan to address this problem.  Obviously, peoples' safety is top concern, but in terms of priorities, the long term effect this will have on the overall economy of an area who's primary industry relies on its geographical resource has now found itself close to the top of the list. 

Yat

You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

For the sake of not being misunderstood; I'm not suggesting these sharks should be eliminated.  That would be a mistake!  However, I do think the solution may be to "diminish" their menu to the point that they're then forced to find another place to dine.  :whistle:

Yat 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

X2 on everything Croaker said on what's going on down here and just last week on the news it showed a couple fishermen cruising on their boat with a couple Orcas behind them :doh:. The seals are everywhere and creating lots of problems, it's almost impossible to fish and not have some circling your boat just waiting for their next easy snack.
During the "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel, they brought up the problem with the Great Whites on our central coast (Red Triangle) and reports of shark attacks and great white sightings have increased and almost doubled in the last 10 years. They said this is mainly do to the over population of seals that have been growing out of contron.
There are two many of these "save the mammals" groups and not enough information out there that shows what the dangers are and the impacts on the environment are, for allowing these seals to grow in population.
My nephew in Washington has told me stories of seals way up in the rivers that he fishes, chasing salmon :bigshock:
The seal population needs to be thinned out.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

We get seals/sea lions way up in the rivers here too
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

headduck

Perhaps once we accept global warming/climate change we can maybe stretch into what seems like high school or at best  undergraduate levels of understanding of ecology...  :doh:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/sports/outdoors-seals-and-sea-lions-contributing-to-orcas-woes/

At least there's becoming awareness that fishermen are not the source of all ecological disasters...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Rokefin

You wont ever catch me in waters where Great Whites roam.....ever.  Those Whites will come right up to the beach.

We have a Great White  buoy right outside Tamales Bay where I fish, I heard it is a tracking buoy for UC Davis shark studies.

AJFishin

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

StreamFixer

Went to a salmon fishing meeting a year or so ago.  There were 2 or 3 young kids there (all looking like they needed a good meal) from the local community college wearing sweat shirts with "Sea Lion Protection Brigade" stenciled on them.

At one point they had the floor and began with the statement that there were only 30,000 of these poor animals left in the world and it was our responsibility to see they were not wiped out.  Likely one of the academics at the Community College was advising them.  At any rate a fellow from Oregon Fish and Wildlife soon spoke up and explained to those kids that there were more than 30K just of the coast of Oregon, with an additional 300,000 along the west coast of USA alone...  Then the west side of S. America and the remainder of the world.  I am sure the kids didn't believe a word he said...

Yat -- I am pretty sure there is not a single case on record of an Orca killing a human...  Makes for good movies though...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Fisherdv

Wasn't there a Japan whaling boat just recently that 14 crew members were eaten by orcas  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hunter

I personally would like to see the Orca's organize a complex war against all tribal and non tribal commercial tribal fisheries and form an alliance with the sport fisherman to share the resource respectfully and responsibly.   All families, including Orcas, should be able to harvest enough salmon enough for their families using either their mouths while swimming or.... a single barbless hook.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Marine40

Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Tj805

Quote from: Rokefin on September 18, 2018, 12:11:35 PM
You wont ever catch me in waters where Great Whites roam.....ever.  Those Whites will come right up to the beach.

We have a Great White  buoy right outside Tamales Bay where I fish, I heard it is a tracking buoy for UC Davis shark studies.

Haha that's funny
Last season one of my bodega trips, a guy got on the radio and said he saw a half chomped sea lion floating
Near that buoy.
Warned all the abalone divers mr grey was on the prowl and hungry.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Yachter Yat

Yat -- I am pretty sure there is not a single case on record of an Orca killing a human...  Makes for good movies though...

StreamFixer
[/quoteB

Sorry, but nothing could be further from the truth; as evidenced by Croaker's link.  In the wild or in captivity, we should be aware that these animals are "extremely" dangerous to humans.  Many may not recall "Tilikum".  This whale was responsible for 3 deaths, alone.  You can read about it here:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilikum_(orca)    You never, ever want to forget........these are called "Killer Whales" for a reason.  In a sense, Orcas may, in fact, be more sinister than sharks in that they actually have the power to reason.  A shark is "prehistoric".  It will kill you by mistake; not realizing (until it's taken your leg off with one swipe) that you weren't on its menu.  Killer whales, on the other hand, might get together and devise a plan to play catch with you.  Always keep in mind:  Either animal has the potential to kill you.......it's just the motivation that's different.  Be smart.......be careful!

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

I stand corrected...

As far as the Jap whalers becoming Orca poo,  Yeah Orca's  !!!  Saved the world courts a bunch of money prosecuting illegal whaling...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Rokefin

Quote from: Hunter on September 18, 2018, 06:04:38 PM
I personally would like to see the Orca's organize a complex war against all tribal and non tribal commercial tribal fisheries and form an alliance with the sport fisherman to share the resource respectfully and responsibly.   All families, including Orcas, should be able to harvest enough salmon enough for their families using either their mouths while swimming or.... a single barbless hook.   

I'll second that...

Yachter Yat

Quote from: StreamFixer on September 19, 2018, 07:50:32 AM
I stand corrected...

As far as the Jap whalers becoming Orca poo,  Yeah Orca's  !!!  Saved the world courts a bunch of money prosecuting illegal whaling...

StreamFixer

Yeah Fixer.......I'm with you!  Whenever I see films of people killing these beautiful and majestic creatures, I find it hard to look without choking-up.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Wiley

Hmm Nishin Maru. Main target boat from whale wars. Perhaps the Orcas were going for an eye for an eye...
Payback was definitely due.
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

polarbill1999

Just an FYI but the Nishin Maru thing is fake.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Hunter

I grew up Abalone diving of the north CA coast around Fort Brag, Point Arena, Navarro River, etc.    Also did a lot of fishing at the Farralons.  Basic rule was don't dive a dusk or dawn.  We also stayed away from Tomalas Bay and no diving at all at the Farralons......which sucks because I know the diving there would be lights out awesome.   I've been bottom fishing at the Farralons and had my bottom alarm go off in 400ft of water...and no sign of whales.   I know it was Whitie.   Ab divers call Whitie "The Landlord"....... don't be there on rent day.   

Pinnipeds need to be culled.....    What we really need is for some Einstine to come up with a dart that will permanently sterilize the males.     
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"