News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Feeling a Little Down....

Started by Salmon King, September 16, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Have you ever had one of those credible days bug nobody was there to share it with you?
Well...today was that kind of day for me.

Left the house at 8:30 for some beach Coho fishing.
Fished MA9 until 5:30 this evening.
Fought 40kt winds all day while getting 14 hookups, Landing 9, and kept 1 (little 4#'er) for dinner.
At one point I went 5 for 5 on casts and fish!!
It didn't matter what color I used either.  What did matter was that I always use a double hook leader and the hooks are offset 180*. 

I wasn't the only I've either...there were several other folks that were doing the same. 
I think we just happened to be there when a giant school of natives rolled through.
How I managed to find a hatchery fish in that bunch is beyond me but...I'm glad I did!

I'm just feeling a bit down because none of my kids are around here to fish with, my friend has quit fishing because of the reds and quota,  I have to fish already alone... :facepalm:

Anyway...just felt the need to share.
Tight lines all!!

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

SeaRun1

Most of my best fishing days I am alone.  No one else has summers off.  Glad you had an amazing day braving the wind.  I weenied out...

SR1
2005 Arima Sea Ranger 19 HT Woodie
1986 Lund 16' Cutthroat Chaser

Rokefin

Besides those winds that sounds like a stellar day!

I hear ya though, it is fun to have a friend or two to enjoy a hot fishing day.  I also do a lot of solo trips and I enjoy those all the same, it takes some patience to pull in a nice salmon solo.

SeaRun1

Quote from: Rokefin on September 17, 2018, 12:12:02 PM

I hear ya though, it is fun to have a friend or two to enjoy a hot fishing day.  I also do a lot of solo trips and I enjoy those all the same, it takes some patience to pull in a nice salmon solo.

And especially getting it in the net.

SR1
2005 Arima Sea Ranger 19 HT Woodie
1986 Lund 16' Cutthroat Chaser

Markshoreline

I solo half the time and love it- do exactly as you wish and relax into the moment.  A fishing version of Zen.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Rokefin

Quote from: SeaRun1 on September 17, 2018, 04:34:38 PM
Quote from: Rokefin on September 17, 2018, 12:12:02 PM

And especially getting it in the net.

SR1

I wait till the salmon make all their moves and I don't even pick up the net until they are on their side,  then just scoop them up with no net problems - I've lost too many being anxious and trying to net too soon.

Salmon King

Oh no guys...no nets involved....
I was beach fishing.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Rokefin

Quote from: Salmon King on September 18, 2018, 04:54:36 PM
Oh no guys...no nets involved....
I was beach fishing.

Yes, we were aware but got sidetracked on the nets....

What is the shore method on a nice fish, can you drag the bigger ones ashore?

Fisherdv

I used to also fish for them from the bank a lot. (Kings) I would pull them in and grab them in the gill with one hand
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

Great day SK! Don't feel bad. Most of my fishing these days are solo as well. That's why we need pics so people actually believe us :facepalm: When I was boatless for a while I used to also fish off the shore a lot. I think I caught more fish from shore than from the boat. It's all about finding the right spot. Downside is lots of casting and back aches. Be sure to do a little stretching before letting it rip on a cold morning.  :fishing:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Full-Pull

'91 Sea Ranger 19HT
'05 Merc 115 EFI FourStroke - Main
'90s Honda BF-8A - Kicker