News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

transom saver

Started by JamesB, September 12, 2018, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Quote from: jamaica on September 13, 2018, 10:00:08 AM
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--dual-mount-adjustable-transom-bracket--9316902?recordNum=1

This is what I use, or something close to it. Any arguments against it? It seems to work really well and is easy to use.
My Honda OM says to leave the motor in the running position or to use one of those transom saver things (like the one in the link) attached to the trailer. I, as well as many others have mixed opinions about those
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER affix your outboard to your trailer.   That's got to be the "nuttiest" thing I've ever seen.  That thing should be called the "Outboard and Transom Destructo Bracket".  :hoboy:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Opinions vary. The author says it pretty good...

"As always, there are a variety of different scenarios and what may be right for the next guy may not be right for you"

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Neal

Honda owners manual.  Says to use a transom saver for towing.  They even show a picture of aftermarket transom saber.  Picture is of trailer to motor transom saver.  Cheap and easy to use so why not.   Seems to take a lot of pressure off transom.  You can shake motor and weight goes to trailer not the transom.  Just mount a bracket to trailer.  30 minutes tops.   Best.  Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neal

Picture out of Honda 2017 manual

Fisherdv

Have you ever noticed when you retrieve your boat, strap it all down tightly, then make the trip home that your back or front strap is all the sudden loose? Point being is while traveling the boat may move a bit independently of the trailer. I wouldn't want that movement directed straight to my motor from a transom saver. My  :twocents: of course

Fisherdv

Maybe the better question is who has actually had any damage to the transom or motor regardless of which method was used :shrug9:

Yachter Yat

Quote from: Neal on September 13, 2018, 11:37:39 AM
Picture out of Honda 2017 manual

I'm sorry, but if this cartoon from Honda's manual isn't pathetic enough...then it's actually laughable.  I've got only one thing to say to the guys who came up with this idea:............Stay off the Sake! 

Let me ask you this:  Have you ever had occasion to follow a boat trailer down a bumpy road and closely observe the relationship between the trailer and the hull?  Especially a roller trailer?  No?  Then I would strongly suggest you do so before ordering that rigid tie gizmo that goes between the trailer and your outboard lower end.  With every dip and bump, the trailer "acts", and the hull "REacts".  I can't think of a better way to continuously kick your motor in the ass (over and over again) than that.   We're Arima guys......we know better. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Yes - motor to trailer support bar is a big no-no :nono:

Neal

Well in theory your Hull should not bounce on trailer. Especially when you use rear tie downs.  If your hull bounces on trailer Yat is correct.  If your hull does not bounce like it should not.  Then with a support bar the pressure of bumps is absorbed by trailer not the transom.  Makes sense to me and Honda engineers. 

Tom Mac

I'm with Yat! I do put a strap on the leg to the trailer for long halls. Have not had a problem yet. Did check into a MY wedge but they did not make one for the Yamaha 90.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

First Cabin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on September 13, 2018, 11:06:01 AM
    NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER affix your outboard to your trailer.   That's got to be the "nuttiest" thing I've ever seen.  That thing should be called the "Outboard and Transom Destructo Bracket".  :hoboy:

Yat

There you go with your absolutes again.... :hoboy:  Just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it wrong. 

My old Johnson 70hp didn't have hydraulic tilt.  The only way to keep it from bouncing all over was to use the motor to trailer support bar.

The old boys knew what they were doing.  Many of them were smarter than you or me....

If you have a kicker and have to trailer with it tilted up, a motor to trailer support bar may keep it from bouncing off the boat!

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Rokefin

I guess it is my personal opinion but I don't ever see myself using a support bar from motor to trailer even though I do strap the rear of the boat to the trailer - you still get some flex. Main gets supported by a block of wood - engineers have been wrong many times.

My kicker is on a hydraulic mount, to keep the kicker from bouncing I added 2 eyelets to the top of the gunnel and the motor gets supported by a tie strap - keeps it pretty stable while towing.

Mooch

I used trailer support bars for years.  No problems.  Used to be a stock feature on Tracker boat/trailer packages, might still be.  It's not like it's a rigid setup that transmits shock; the motor simply rests on a rubber yoke with motor held in place with rubber bungie.  Having said that, trailer support bar is not an viable option with my SR with bigger engine and a trailer cross bar that's too far under the boat.  The thing I do like about the transom savers like M-Y, T-H and Motor Holder is they seem to protect the hydraulic trim rams and don't elevate engine too much.  Only thing I don't like about engine in full up position with tilt lock engaged is how far engine sticks out behind rig.  I'm personally not as concerned about transom protection as much as getting lower engine unit high enough to avoid road contact and getting engine off the hydraulic trim mechanism.  I believe my transom can handle a lot more stress than either of these two critical components.  Whatever system you use, the key to trailering is same as for your boat when the water gets rough, "slow it down to avoid the pound".  ;)
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

troll4fish

Yat, I am sorry but in my opinion you are wrong wrong wrong for saying never never never attach the motor to the trailer! I have 10's of thousands of miles towing all over the country on our less than smooth interstates and 2 lane back roads and have used a transom saver to keep the motor from bouncing all over the place with NEVER an issue except for my kicker on my StarCraft Islander 191 going from Port Renfrew down to Becher Bay on a very bouncy 2 lane road. The Garelick bracket folded and I believe in my heart that had I not had the transom saver on the kicker also I would have lost that motor! Not only do I have a transom saver tied to the trailer(with a twist shaft that locks it in) I chain the motor left and right so I will not swing at all. A boat should be ONE with the trailer!
Just My Opinion!
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on September 13, 2018, 11:19:47 AM

Opinions vary

"As always, there are a variety of different scenarios and what may be right for the next guy may not be right for you"
X2