Author Topic: Starboard Panel upgrade  (Read 8155 times)

Online Croaker Stroker

Starboard Panel upgrade
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
O.K., I'm gonna try Photobucket now

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:37:14 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Starboard Panel upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
Croaker. 

Beautiful work.  So, being from the murky (at least for now) Northwest I am curious to know what is causing those lighter and darker areas in your photo's and whats with the weird color in the sky?  Why isn't it gray?

Where do you live anyway?

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

Sorry for your loss.

Sunny Orange County California.

Newport Harbor sunset....

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Croaker, I notice it looks like you've got some heavy duty wood working tools in your garage.  For those of us with just a skill saw and a small hand held jig saw, how do-able is this project?

I've been thinking about taking this on for a while, but the $$ for starboard gives me sticker shock every time I see it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
The skillsaw and handheld jig saw are actually what worked best for me.  The plastic dust clogs the bandsaw and the jig saw makes a smoother cut with a nice sharp blade. The skill saw, with a straight edge clamped to the board, works best for the straight cuts (there aren't many of those)  You can champher the corners with a vibrating sander if you don't have a router with a round-over bit.

Just trace the old parts onto the Starboard and cut.

The hardest part is acquiring the Starboard. (about $200.00 per sheet)

The Sea foam color is what Arima uses.  It matches the lighter color on the gunwales.

I suggest buying new screws which have a flat surface under the head. (truss head would work best) Counter sink screws tend to distort the material.

Offline woody

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
3Wgt

As you know, Russ and I are playing with a fish table.  Tools, including 12" chops on portable stand, table saw with built in rooter, rotor tools, etc. are in my garage or I took them to Russ'.  Since you are loaning your new 22' to us when you get that 2nd job, we can help you out.

Call me when you are ready.  (Use to run a handy-man-service).  Gots lots of stuff.

Woody

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
Still debating if I want to take it on or not.  I did some epoxy repairs to my rear panels last year (feet were rotted and in bad shape), then painted them.  Work fine now, look better than they did. 

The veneer on the wood up front is looking so hot, and the door to my cuddy is cracked and split in a couple of places.  Just get sticker shock at the price of the Star Board!

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
Croaker you are the King of Starboard. I have some extra starboard in my shop and I think I would like to make a holder for my binnoculars that I can mount somewhere near my helm. Any ideas or suggestions?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
Hi F.E. glad to "see" you again.  I seem to remember seeing someone with a binocular box on the old MSN forum. I cant remember where or who. (old age setting in) It may have been in the electronics section I just remember the Starboard box mounted near the dash.  I remember because I liked the idea, but I don't have the room.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
Maybe a small box, just big enough for the binocs, mounted on the  driver side, just below the side window? 

Other option I could see would be a similar box mounted on the side of the dash, in the "walkway" to the cuddy.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Fishing Eagle, Here's a binocular holder that doubles as a drink holder. You could use a stick of Starboard instead of that PVC pipe.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:55:26 PM by Croaker Stroker »

Offline woody

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
Ya Know FE

That's really sweet looking.  I will discuss with Russ .... we will have some Starboard left over and it will solve a perceived problem

Woody

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
Yes I did see that holder once before and if I remember correctly, it was very pricey. I do have some 3/8" & 1/2" starboard but maybe I need to order a small sheet of 1/4" starboard. And yes seafoam is the correct color and is what I used before. I just may need to get the product and then visit my brother-in-law who has a great wood shop and all the nice tools. Me and my jig saw won't be so pretty.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Offline cbunk

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »
I'm sitting at mid project and really enjoying the work so far.  I chip away at it when I get an hour or two here and there.  I'm looking forward to working on custom storage solutions with the starboard.  Like croaker said it does cut well with a jigsaw it sands and routes like wood.  If your looking for a good project you will get to enjoy everytime you take out your boat, go for it.
 :yeahthat:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:55:35 PM by cbunk »
1991 17' Sea Chaser
1991 100hp Mercury
1993  9.9hp Mercury

Offline SRanger

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »
Thought I saw a Starboard binoc box in one of the slide shows from TechDiver.  Mounted right below the steering wheel for easy access.  Read lots of post about Starboard but still a couple questions in my mind. 

1. Are Starboard and Seaboard the same thing?

2. Is there an issue using the XL (light version)?  Would help with the weight problem as long as it holds a screw.

3. See King Starboard® XL, and King StarLite® XL on the King Starboard site.  StarLite appears to be a closed cell foam core product.  Anyone have experience or knowledge with closed cell foam products in Arima applications?

4. Anyone ever try PVC products (Tuf Board, Versatex, Azek) and if so how did they perform?

I like the cuddy on the SeaRanger but it feels dang heavy.  88 Merc 80hp, 8hp kicker, 2 batteries and another 4 gal of gas for the kicker, 22 gal main tank.  Bottom paint has worn off.  Garmin 546 gps says 24 kts is top speed WOT @52000 rpm.    Not trying to go fast but range seems limited.  Need to do the best possible with what I have....cause can't afford a 19SR HT with a 4stroke.

Thanks for any comments or ideas:)

99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
Re: the performance...

Do you have the manual for your motor?  24 mph is way low for a 17' at WOT, which has me thinking you may have the wrong prop.  Be good to know what your manual says your ideal RPM's are at max throttle.

Both my old Johnson 90 hp two stroke and my current Suzuki 90 4 stroke easily get the boat up to 32-33 mph at WOT.  If my math is correct, 24 kts = about 27 mph.  I'd think you 80 should get you up to at least 30 mph with a standard load.

Can't help you on fuel economy.  My old Johnson 90 reminded me of Keith Richards... drank like a fish and smoked like crazy.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
PVC vs Starboard

The following comments are about underground pipe products.  Take the information as you will....

When I made an honest living (pre-stream restoration work) I designed water systems and sanitary sewers.  PVC pipe was a good product so long as it did not have more than 90 days exposure to sun light before it was put in the ground.  After that time, the material would begin to deteriorate and, in a year or so, become extremely brittle.  I used some PVC plumbing in my barn, all inside but still exposed to daylight (not direct sunlight).  It began shattering after 4 years.  I know the PVC manufacturers tried a bunch of different things to stabilize the pipe, but I do not recall them even figuring out how to deal with the UZ ray exposure problem.  Once in the ground it was golden.  This material can be glued.

Starboard is a High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) product.  It is totally stable so long as it is not exposed to excessive heat.  Sunlight does not affect it.  NOTHING can be glued to it.  Paint will not adhere to it.  It can be heat welded.  When it first came out and was proposed for use as a storm sewer pipe the official testing labs attempted to establish a useful life for this material.  As an example, concrete sewer pipe is rated to last 50 years.  The testing labs could not get the HDPE pipe to fail.  They have assigned it an arbitrary life expectancy in excess of 100 years.

Based on this knowledge, I will not allow anything made from PVC to be used on my boat.  Starboard is cool.   :party:  Some of you may know, Woody and I are building fish tables to go over the motor well (pictures will be posted).  We are using starboard.  We figure the tables will probably last as long as the boat.

StreamFixer
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:39:44 AM by StreamFixer »
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Danno

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:44 AM »
The photo for the other binocular rack is below.

Starboard (HDPE) is susceptible to UV exposure but I'm sure they add a lot of inhibitors to minimize it. If there's a lightweight version, it's likely foamed. The cut edges will look a bit more cheesy as it exposed the foamed cells and will trap mold, etc. but otherwise it should be fine to use. I wonder if it's any cheaper?

Starboard and Seaboard are the same plastic (HDPE), just different brands. All plastics will get a chalky surface after long enough exposure to the sun (UV).

SRanger, I had more weight with a 47 gallon gas tank on my previous 19' SR and I had WOT speeds of 36mph with a 17" pitch prop on a 4 stroke Honda 90. You should easily be in the 30+ range. Post a new topic on your prop specifics and WOT limit from Merc and we'll help you out.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:46:03 AM by SeaChaser »
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline Danno

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »
4. Anyone ever try PVC products (Tuf Board, Versatex, Azek) and if so how did they perform?

I should add that the specific gravity of PVC is about 2.4x that of HDPE so PVC based panels will be much heavier.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline SRanger

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
Oh God...not the prop equation.   I stink at this topic.   Just a Newbie here.  Think she hit 25.1 kts once while playing with the trim.  25kts = 28.8 mph...which is not to far off your numbers 3WT.   Do not have any manuals.   Can you even get a factory manual or is the Seloc the best available? 

To be honest 25kts in a good chop kinda starts things rattling and shaking lose if not secured.  But speed and power are always a nice option when you want to 'get' somewhere.  20kts @4000rpm feels about right for cruising. 

The prop is in great shape with no nicks or gouges, assumed it was the original factory issue.   Think you are telling me a prop change could be a way to improve overall performance and thereby  improve range.   Don't usually name my equipment but the big motor will now be known as Keith!   Let's not forget the nasty growl of an old Merc at WOT, which makes it next to impossible to be heard without shouting.

Overall still thrilled with my Arima.   She is old and has a big butt...but very comfy:)    This is going
to be one of those love-hate deals isn't it.  Will work on getting better numbers and the manual.   Then
post back with the facts.   Agree a new thread for Performance issues.    Thanks for the input, information and encouragment!!
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:52:08 PM »

"I do not recall them even figuring out how to deal with the UZ ray exposure problem."

StreamFixer

This is why I choose to wear my aluminum foil hat.  :whistle:

Offline arimafarina

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
Nice work on the Starboard.......... :beerchug:

This first link is from the Starboard site. Good tips on care cleaning, and even tells what solvents are safe to clean.  The other stuff is Belinda telling about using the XL except for the thick bulkhead area.

http://www.kingstarboard.com/CMS/Media/Docs/workingwith.pdf

Starboard for the interior
Author   Comment
 arimafarina
Starboard for the interior   Lead   [-]

(10/09/09 12:48 AM)
•   Edit
•   Del
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
Tags [Edit]: None
Is starboard what is used in the interior of the Arima boats now? My 1985 Sea hunter has faded old wood that I am going to replace at some point. Has anyone done this to their older Arima?

Jay in Kitsap
[-]

(10/09/09 10:31 AM)
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
o   Message Me
o   Connection
o   Blocking
o   Invite
o   Ignore User's Posts
o   Report Post
I think it is. I am planning to have Arima replace all of my wood in the cockpit this winter. Belinda gave me a price (I can't remember if here or by email) to replace my SR17 wood which I thought was very reasonable. They will want to use your existing wood as the templates. My interior boards (below the cushions) look good still so I wasn't doing them.

burnsmiranda
[-]

(10/09/09 10:37 AM)
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
o   Message Me
o   Connection
o   Blocking
o   Invite
o   Ignore User's Posts
o   Report Post
Five back panels $225.
All other pieces $550.
We do not do the pieces under the cuddy cushions.

You provide us with your wood and we make you new ones.

Belinda at Arima

arimafarina
[-]

(10/09/09 11:35 AM)
•   Edit
•   Del
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
What is meant by five back panels? All other pieces means everything but horizontal cuddy pieces? After seeing the raw material price, it is starting to look very reasonable. I see three rear panels in the very aft after area, and two side panels just aft of the dash. I have 2 main bulkheads with supports, and a wood door that replaced the original.

burnsmiranda
[-]

(10/09/09 04:03 PM)
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
o   Message Me
o   Connection
o   Blocking
o   Invite
o   Ignore User's Posts
o   Report Post
You have three lift out back panels and two fixed ones.

For the rest of the boat it includes the door and the flip down cover, the bulkhead (right near your knees under the dash), and the side shelf pieces.

If you wish to purchase the material from us, you can buy a 5' x 8' sheet for $265 and do the work yourself. The work includes cutting, routing edges, drilling and countersinking. Our cost for the whole boat is $775 (not counting under the cuddy cushions).

Thanks,

Belinda

arimafarina
[-]

(10/09/09 05:02 PM)
•   Edit
•   Del
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
Duh, I forgot about the pieces that are supporting the top deck......... How thick is the material that is used in the boats? Or does it vary? Thanks for the info.

burnsmiranda
[-]

(10/09/09 11:15 PM)
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
o   Message Me
o   Connection
o   Blocking
o   Invite
o   Ignore User's Posts
o   Report Post
mostly 1/2" XL, color Seafoam. We use 3/4" to make the post that holds the door hinge and for the pegs that hold the jump seats.

arimafarina
[-]

(10/11/09 01:14 AM)
•   Edit
•   Del
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
The standard Starboard is pretty pricey. The XL is a little lighter and less pricey and works well for the stated purpose........good to know.

Arima hulls made of Polyester or vinylester resin?
Author   Comment
 arimafarina
Arima hulls made of Polyester or vinylester resin?   Lead   [-]

(05/12/10 01:49 AM)
•   Edit
•   Del
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
Tags [Edit]: None
I was wondering what Arima hulls are made of?  I was going to try some glass repair on the bottom of the front keel.  

burnsmiranda
[-]

(05/12/10 10:39 AM)
•   More
o   My Recent Posts
o   Message Me
o   Blocking
o   Ignore User's Posts
o   Report Post
Depends on year. Since mid 90's we have done a skin coat of vinyl ester resin before making the boat out of polyester resin. I checked with Don and it does not matter when you do the repairs. Just go with the polyester resin to fix it if it actually has gone very deep into the resin part of the boat. It is a non-issue.

Belinda

<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>
Add Reply
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:42:52 PM by arimafarina »
Restoring a 1985 Seahunter
Everett, Washington State

Croaker - amazing looking job
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
You did fantastic.  I wish I was as skilled at carpentry.

After seeing the price of the starboard and working a bit with the stuff, having Arima make the parts using your panels as the templates, or going with them for the full install is the way to go.  My 17 SR cost $ 775 last year for the panels and $ 300 to install (with a lot of other work they were doing).  The quality of the edges and parts is great.  It is also done like the current boats which is a selling point.

So 1 1/2 sheets of Starboard costs nearly 600 (no half sheets available) so for 400 more it is done and I can go fish the 3 weekends it would have taken to do it.  Hard choice.
'84 SR17 Restored '10 Honda BF90

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »

Thanks for the compliment Jay.

I agree that the price Arima charges is very reasonable.  I am not close to the factory like you guys, so I have no choice but to do it myself.

Frankly, if I were doing this professionally....I would not do this job for $400 labor.

-Mark-

Offline arimafarina

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
So the question is are you guys using the regular starboard for the project, or the XL starboard?  Looks like the XL is a less $ per sheet. 

As Belinda states they use the 1/2 XL for everything and 3/4 for the main support area for the door hinge area. 
Restoring a 1985 Seahunter
Everett, Washington State

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
 I used the regular Starboard.  There wasn't much difference in the weight and it was available without special order.

Offline Techdiver1

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
Nice Job! I'm the guy who made the black bino rack featured above from the other site. You can see my HDPE replacement panals here

http://techdiver1.u.yuku.com/

Click on view photos and then 1990 Seahunter restoration. This project really makes for a great improvement in the boat!
Craig
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:03:04 PM by Techdiver1 »
Craig Miller
Tacoma, Washington
Puget Sound 1990 Seahunter

Welcome Craig & Russianhook
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »
Craig-
Welcome to this site.  I have loved following the restoration of your Arima.  Interesting you used HDPE, I use that pretty often at work - it is tough stuff.  I originally though it was black Starboard.

I also noted that Russianhook was on here, he had been away from the Yuku site for many months.  One of his posts about is 17SC in the open ocean was the last straw convincing me that Arima was the right boat for me.

Jay
'84 SR17 Restored '10 Honda BF90