News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

seat box removal

Started by lloyds, September 01, 2018, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyds

Was going to remove seat box on port side to gain some more floor space.  Removed the 5 wood screws and washers but seat wouldn't budge.  Put knife under edge to check for some form of sealant.  Doesn't feel like it is there.  This is a 1997 sea explorer.  Is there epoxy holding that box down?  Something more than silicone is doing it.
1997 sea explorer

Chief of the Boat

AJFishin

I know this is an old thread, but I just took my box off and there is silicone around area where the screens went into the deck. You'll need a long enough metal puddy knife to reach the areas and be able to slice through the silicone.
Here's a picture of mine and you can see the ring of left over silicone, about a 2" circumference.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

lloyds

Doesn't seem like mine should be different as same hull and nearly same production year. Guess I need to go take another look.  Thanks for posting.  I would love to get that box out of there and put in a different type of seat.
1997 sea explorer

Fishin Machine

Are you going to sale the box seat?
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

lloyds

Probably not.  Will decide after I get the seat out.  Haven't had time to work on it.
1997 sea explorer

lloyds

Finally got it out.  Ruined a trowel doing it.  Certainly wasn't silicone holding it in.  Had to be 5200.  Now have to Dremel up the spots left on the deck.  Will keep box.  Next owner might want it.
1997 sea explorer

BurnsieBabe

Arima uses silicone only in sealing down these seats but a prior owner may have done their own work.  It is there to protect the wood in the floor from water and also to help keep water from seeping into the box itself and ruining whatever is stored there.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)