News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Too long!

Started by Mooch, September 01, 2018, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooch

It's been too many years since I last fished with my son.

As early as 5 years old, he often accompanied me on my frequent fishing forays, until he grew up and flew the coop to the Big Apple, Afghanistan, Italy and eventually the Windy City.  Of course there's been regular visits back home from a fast paced life, but never enough time to fish; duty always before play.  So knowing how much it would mean to him, Anna, suggested they come out and dedicate some quality fishing time together for their anniversary this year.  Fortunately, their Labor Day anniversary lines up with a very productive fishing season.  So when they arrived, options for the following morning were discussed; outside the GH bar for some great coho fishing or inside the bay for some big king action.  Anna, who's never fished before or even seen the Pacific ocean, said "let's do both".  Ev and I looked at each other with some trepidation and said, "Alrighty then".  Anna was amazing; ripping lips like a tournament Bass Master while chumming them up without complaint. 

Reserving a couple of punches for kings, we headed back in for the bay on the tide change in thick fog and big seas, which made things quite "interesting".  After crossing the bar we picked up our limits of crab.

Headed back up the bay, we immediately hit a bite.  Anna lost two "scalded dog" kings; one of them to sea lion that almost spooled her.  Evan and I lost a couple more kings at the boat, but eventually boated a nice one before the bite went off about an hour later.  Adrenaline was still running high when we returned to port.   

The following day the wind came up so we stayed inside and scratched out a king apiece.  Anna had fun learning to operate the helm, dodge boats and navigate the narrow channels in the wind while Ev and I cleared lines and talked smack all day. 

During the day we also cavorted with some gray whales, porpoises and seals.  Anna was amazed at how close the Pelicans would dive near the boat for a meal.  As an Army Airborne Ranger officer, the Coast Guard operations being conducting off Westport caught Evan's interest so we motored off Damon Pt. for a closer look.  Pretty cool watching the guys drop from a helo into the water, something he's done a few times himself. 

Anyway, it was a great couple of days fishing with my kid again.  Hope he and Anna are as blessed as I've been to share moments like these with their son or daughter.  And Lord willing maybe we'll have another opportunity to go again.  In any case, I'm happy.

Enjoy.

PS.  Shout out to Kimbrey for the intel.   :wink:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Fisherdv

Looks like you guys had an amazing time! Thanks for sharing the story. I think you may be seeing them a little more often. Looks like she's hooked :gone_fishing:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Great write-up and great pictures of you guys Mooch.   Love those happy faces.  You're a lucky man. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

Great job Dad. Tell you son thank you for his service.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Kimbrey

Very Cool Mooch!
I'll have to learn that inside fishery.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

rasslingref

Love those family and fishing stories. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

GregE

That's just super cool. 

Never flew a helo cast- just about everything else though.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

Great family fishing trip/reunion story!  Not bad catching, too!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

SeaRun1

Great post to read and awesome pictures too!  Really nice Kings.

SR1
2005 Arima Sea Ranger 19 HT Woodie
1986 Lund 16' Cutthroat Chaser

Rokefin

Everybody has said it all, just a great story about life :clap:   Good for Anna to be able to chum and fish :bowdown: