News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Tire Mfg. date

Started by davidsea, July 26, 2018, 10:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsea

I've put this out at least once before, but it bears repeating.  Every highway tire legal for sale in the US is date-coded by the manufacturer.  It looks something like this :   DOT CC8M (ABC0714)   The last 7 characters (in parentheses) will be recessed slightly in the sidewall, since the numbers in the tire mold are changed once a week.  The first 3 letters identify the manufacturer, the first 2 numbers are the week (from 01 to 52), and the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.  In the above example, the tire was made in the 7th week of 2014.  Since trailer tires are not a high - volume item, it is not unusual to find 'brand new' tires that are a year or more old. Unlike fine wines, trailer tires do not improve with age.  They sit without moving for weeks - or months - at a time, get underinflated or overinflated, dunked in saltwater, and attacked by UV and ozone.  My personal preference on a single-axle trailer is load-range D radials, and I replace after 5 years.  Maybe overcautious, but some years ago I was towing a 2100# boat, single axle, no brakes  :nono:, with a 3500 # car :nono:, down the Vantage grade on I-90 at 65 MPH when I had a tread separation/blowout on a trailer tire.  Haven't forgotten it, ever.... :hoboy:
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

Good advice!  I wrote about a similar blowout experience a while back.  Happened coming down route 93 here in N.H.  Luckily I wasn't running too fast and managed to pull-over safely.  I make it a habit to stay under 60 MPH with my trailers.  BTW, if you've ever changed a tire on a highway with cars whizzing by, a few feet from your backside at 75 MPH, you'd think twice about keeping tires too long on your trailer.  IMO, trailer tires are like batteries..........they have a relatively short life span, regardless of how they're treated.  In the end, perhaps the best advice would be to buy the best radials you can afford, and (as davidsea suggests) change them every 5 years.

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)