News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

We weren’t prepared...

Started by Holoholo808, July 20, 2018, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holoholo808

Loaded up yesterday/last night and tried to get some sleep.

Left the house around 0200. Got the boat launched and headed out to the spot by around 0400. There wasn't much intel available from the normal sources so we went off a hunch and got the lines set by 0430.

Right on cue at gray light the short corner clip popped and the ratchet started singing. From the angle of the line and the initial run it looked to be a decent marlin. Thankfully the hook didn't stick so we checked the lure, reset, and made another pass in the area. Mr Pokey Nose was nowhere to be found so we turned south and started to make our way to another spot.

Half an hour passes and we're coming up on the next spot. Out of nowhere the center pole bends over and starts peeling out line. The fish is diving straight down so we keep the boat in gear and see if any other fishy friends want to come play. Thirty seconds pass and we decide to start clearing the other lines.

My friend jumps on the center and keeps tension while I clear the other lines. A few seconds after I start cranking on the short corner I hear a loud snap. "Oh sh*t" I think and don't have time to react before the short rigger pole comes swiveling toward my head. The tip bend over and the drag starts singing.

Double!

We finish clearing the lines and get to work on the fish. 

Choppy, deep water and a small boat means no playing with the fish on light tackle so it's game on Wicked Tuna style and my friend calls color in about fifteen minutes. The last 50 feet are a struggle and the fish doesn't want to give an inch.

"Scrappy little bugger" I think as I start to take wraps on the wind-on leader. The fish starts to circle below the boat and gets exponentially heavier every armspan I pull in.

The fish turns for a final surge as it nears the surface and I take an extra wrap and hold on until I feel like my arms are going to rip off of my body.

One last circle and my friend sinks the gaff in. I throw in a meat hook and we get the fish in the boat with a couple we'll timed heaves and the help of the swells.

Turning our attention to the second rod we back off the drag and slightly and move it over to the short rigger position. The fish takes this as a cue to make another run and we get to rest a little as it peels off another 50 yards in the blink of an eye.

Back to work we go and the we see color ten minutes later. This fish is a whole lot scrappier and I can feel my hands getting crushed by the leader despite the adrenaline rush. Thankfully after a few circles and my friend sinks in another solid gaff shot and we boat the second fish (surprisingly about 50 lbs smaller).

Note to self, those guys on the YouTube videos make bleeding, gilling, and gutting tuna look way too easy.

And here is where we weren't prepared... Neither fish would fit in the 270 liter cooler and 200 lbs of ice wasn't going to cut it. Thankfully, my other friend came in clutch with a 6 foot fish box and 400 lbs of ice. No clue how much they weigh as my scale only goes up to 100 lbs but it took 3 of us to carry the bigger one off the boat.

Time for a couple of beers and an afternoon nap...

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

BayWolf

WOW!  Well written! I was right there with you.  What a couple of sweet, sweet fish!  Very well done and thank you for sharing!
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

GregE

wow!!

Were you fishing a hand line- or using something to wrap the leader?

Now- why is this in the Electronic section?  :shrug9:

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Holoholo808

Quote from: GregE on July 20, 2018, 05:57:19 PM
wow!!

Were you fishing a hand line- or using something to wrap the leader?

Now- why is this in the Electronic section?  :shrug9:

Hahahaha. Posting from my phone (Tapatalk) so it must've defaulted there 🤦🏻‍♂️ Mods, please move to the appropriate section.

We were trolling lures. Just had to take wraps on the leader at the end. I give credit to the guys that do it for a living. My hands are sore and the beer isn't helping.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Holoholo808

Quote from: BayWolf on July 20, 2018, 05:56:04 PM
WOW!  Well written! I was right there with you.  What a couple of sweet, sweet fish!  Very well done and thank you for sharing!

Thank you! Had to make some notes so we can get our routine down better. Just grateful we got both fish in the boat.

croaker stroker

Great read. Thanks for posting. Those are some nice fish. Poke for your whole family and all your neighbors.

You are gonna need a bigger bottle of soy sauce!!. 😂

🐳
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

familyrig

Awesome write up!  Amazing fish, Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

First Cabin

Awesome :applause:  Thanks for sharing!  It's fun to see fishing from Arimas outside the NW. 
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

SB Steve

La-Z-Buoy

"Wicked Tuna" got nothing on you guys! Great story and pictures. I'm impressed.  :bowdown:
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

rasslingref

Congrats. Love to read these type of stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Salmon Hobo

Thanks for taking the time to write about that days great fishing adventure! cheers

Fisherdv

Awesome! I bet you guys were stoked!  :beerchug:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Wow! You guys are living the life.  If I was just a bit younger, you'd be calling me neighbor. (ha)

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Beautiful fish and awesome fish story! 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Holoholo808

Quote from: Markshoreline on July 21, 2018, 02:55:06 PM
Beautiful fish and awesome fish story!

Thanks, Mark. Also, thank you for moving it to the right category!

Sparhawk

"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

DevMah

Thanks for sharing the story and nice fish

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

oldbhtrnewequip

BestBoats

2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

CanvasGuy

well i am not suprized that boat was always a lucky fish slayer.. thanks for sharing just hali that big for me nice to see tuna like that.. better you than me..nice work guys.. :bowdown:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

HanaPaa

Aloha,
Nice write up but just a question from a guy that is trying to decide on a 17 or 19 foot Arima.For fishing  Tuna or Ono.
Would a 6 foot fish box fit on your boat?

Holoholo808

Quote from: HanaPaa on July 22, 2018, 09:07:56 PM
Aloha,
Nice write up but just a question from a guy that is trying to decide on a 17 or 19 foot Arima.For fishing  Tuna or Ono.
Would a 6 foot fish box fit on your boat?

If you have a 17 SC or 19 SR (same rear deck space) you could but it would probably be better to change the seating configuration to command bridge style so the front of the box doesn't interfere with the seats. I have a 270 Aussie Box (200 lbs of ice max) and that's about the biggest that can fit without modifying the seating area. Most of the guys on Oahu use fish bags on deck.

Quote from: CanvasGuy on July 22, 2018, 04:35:10 PM
well i am not suprized that boat was always a lucky fish slayer.. thanks for sharing just hali that big for me nice to see tuna like that.. better you than me..nice work guys.. :bowdown:

Thanks, Gary. Just trying to keep up with the bar you set. You're always welcome to come fish if you make it over here.

Crackerbox

Holoholo808

Better angle of the fish... I'm tired from cutting the fish up and delivering it all day yesterday...