News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Prop Selection Honda 225

Started by GregE, July 18, 2018, 11:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Honda 225 on the 22 Sea Legend issues:  prop cavitation above mid range power adjustments.  The motor was lowered to align with bottom of hull.  Water tests needed to determine what that effected.

Carried over from the Motor height adjustment thread.  http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15588.msg186277#msg186277

Prop sizes:

Currently on the Honda 225:  3 x 15.8 x 15 aluminum  ( fooled me- thought the pitch was higher )

Original Solas: SS 3 x 14 x 19

Solas aluminum others:  4 x 14.75 x 17
                                     3 x 15.5 x 17

thinking:  compare the performance of the present prop to the 4 blade.  Don't think the SS 19 pitch is viable for hole shot

As always, you're opinions and experiences are solicitated 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

amazing grace

Lower pitched, bigger dia. I would think a 4 blade would be ideal Greg. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Threeweight

Greg, my boat has a very different hull, but for what it is worth...

The dealer rigged my boat with Honda's "all around" stainless 3 blade prop (actually a Solas Titan), in a 15.5" diameter, 15 pitch flavor.  It generally performed well for most things.  They recommended a 17 pitch, but it topped out at around 5700 RPM on my hull and I wanted more thrust for the ocean.  Top speed on my Ocean Pro with that prop when lightly loaded (2 people and a dog) on the big river was around 42 mph @6100 RPM, cruise @4000 RPM around 24 mph, and time to plane around 6 seconds.  Cruise fuel economy around 3.2 mpg.  When heavily loaded (3 big dudes, wife, dog, 300# of ice, 300# of Tuna!) it struggled a bit to plane, taking maybe 12-14 seconds to get up on step.

Because of how it handled when loaded really heavy, I checked w/ a different Hewes dealer who knows ocean boats, and they recommended I try the Solas Titan 4 blade, in the 14.5" diameter x 15 pitch flavor.  This is still a fairly inexpensive prop, but geared more towards offshore boats.

Lightly loaded on the river, this prop was both faster to plane (gunned the throttle and the Hewes was on step within the length of the boat, with all my tackle boxes sliding back onto the deck), and faster across the entire RPM range.  Top speed around 44-45 mph @5900 RPM, cruise @4000 RPM around 26 mph.  Fuel economy took a hit, down to 3.0 mpg on the river.  It really shines on the ocean, though.  Even loaded with the same 3 guys, wife, dog, ice, and tuna, it will plane the boat in about 6 seconds, and hold plane down to 16 mph.  Low speed handling is much improved around the dock as well.  Ocean fuel economy now averages about 2.8 mpg when loaded heavy.

I really like this prop, and it was fairly affordable.  Our boats are likely similar in weight and deadrise, but mine is a bit longer (24 foot planing surface w/ the full width engine bracket, vs. 21'11".)
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson