News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Uflex or Baystar/Seastar

Started by JamesB, July 14, 2018, 10:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesB

I am going to upgrade to hydraulic steering and was curious to know for those with 115, 130,135, 140 HP outboards, which manufacturer and model of hydraulic steering do you have and have you had any problems or leaks etc?

croaker stroker

I have the Baystar.....no problems....easy installation following help from Youtube.

The Baystar hoses are stiff if you live in a cold climate. Hot California sunshine made my installation easier.

Some people choose the Baystar, but buy the Seastar hoses.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

I installed Baystar this spring on a 115 Honda, and like it a lot.  Weather was cold when I was doing the installation, and the hydraulic lines were pretty stiff.  I was able to uncoil them and straighten them out in the house, where it was warm, and then use a heat gun on a few of the bends in the boat - didn't really have much problem with it.  I don't know that the Seastar lines are worth the extra money.  I was installing in a SeaRanger 19, and had a little extra to cut off, but if it had been a 21 or 22, I might have come up short.  Check the length of your run to make sure .
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

JamesB

couple questions,

a) Do you need to loop the lines into a circle in the splashwell like you do on cable steering?
b) I noticed the lines have end fittings that screw onto the helm pump and the hydraulic cylinder.  If you need to cut the lines shorter can those fittings simply be screwed onto the newly cut end?
c) Also noticed there seems to be one end that may be more flexible.  It has some sort of mesh cover or sleeve over top of it.  Is that the end that goes into the hydraulic cylinder or the end that goes into the helm pump?
d) Also noticed on ebay there are baystar hydraulic cylinders kits but some of the baystar cylinders have a red/orange logo and other have a yellow logo on the sticker.  Is there a difference in these sets?
e) Could someone post a picture of their setup so that I can see how much space it takes up, how your lines sit in the splashwell, and which direction the hydraulic outlets on the cylinder point towards(port or starboard facing for the line connection)

thanks

croaker stroker

Not a full loop. More like a U-turn with enough slack for the outboard to turn without binding.

I cut the hose with a PVC pipe cutter from Home Depot. (Rigid brand) the fittings are compression fittings.

The mesh sleve may be to protect the tubing in the motorwell from UV. Mine didn't come with them.

Here's a photo I copied from the internet. (The hose on the left looks too short to me  :shrug9: :twocents:)

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

In answer to your questions:  A) Yes, and the cylinder fittings are installed facing the port side to make this easy. I have a bit longer loops than in CS's photo, and routed the lines low in the splashwell, below the cylinder.  B) Yes, the cylinder-end fittings are pre-installed. You cut the helm ends to length and use the provided compression fittings to hook up the helm pump.   C)  The helm end, with the pre-installed fittings, has the mesh cover to protect the tubing as it moves with the motor. It isn't more or less flexible, just covered.  D) :shrug9: No clue.      The helm barely protrudes behind the dash, so it frees up some space there, and the helm fittings are not pre-installed so you can aim the tubing wherever you want. 
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Chief of the Boat

Stay clear of Uflex we had quite a few leaky helms.  This Baystar install was installed by the previous owner and I bought the boat in 2010 and have put 375 trouble free hours on it.

img]http://www.arimaowners.com/gallery/11/59-150718175903-11652884.jpeg[/img]

JamesB

you guys are the best!  Thanks for the info and pictures... really helps..

JamesB

ok now I am bit confused again..  On my boat I have the throttle and shift cables with a loop in the engine splash well.  I was always told that the loop will help ensure the cables don't bind or kink due to how stiff they are.  In a number of pictures online I do not see this loop for the throttle and shifter cable... As far as I know all 115 motors from Yamaha, honda, Suzuki, mercury are still manual shift and throttle activated through a cable... It's the 150hp and higher and current generation engines that have "electronic" shifting and throttle controls through an electrical line that runs to the motor....

With that being said, is the mechanical throttle and shifter cable housed inside the loom of the 115s then with a small curve to loom... I only see this loom and a separate set of lines for the hydraulic fuel hoses... I usually don't see the steering and throttle cables any longer unless they are inside the loom with the electrical lines and fuel lines.

amazing grace

take another look. you will see them. they are there
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead