News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2018 Tacoma TRD off-road?

Started by Fisherdv, July 09, 2018, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Quote from: amazing grace on July 19, 2018, 06:19:52 AM
steve, yours isn't a new one. So in case you missed it. Is not the diesel rig I am referring to.

Even if I had $75k in my pocket right now and needed a new pickup to tow with. I would with out hesitation. Buy a heavy duty gas rig. Not a big block. And put the $20k back in the jar. All day every day. And as I said I like diesel rigs. Just not the ones they are pushing on the commuters these days.

And as far as the specs you get. Yea, they are doing the same thing with the gas rigs with their complex transmissions, turbo this and that, ect., ect, ect. I get it.

I also agree that Toyota is hesitant to move to the newest of technology. Obviously, overall. that has served them well.  Their rigs do not crap out at the same rate as most of their counter parts.

Sorry fisherdv that this thread got mis-directed to a diesel deally-bob.
No problem AG, I got the info I was looking for about the Tacoma. With so much new technology and rising prices across the board it's good to know about changes in all types of vehicles in general
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

My 2  Hondas crapped out at just barely over 100 k. Read up on Honda's, their tranny's are weak.  Toyota's are overpriced!!

My S 10 Chevy  360K miles     My 05 Ford F150 329K miles- I got lucky cuz these 05 Ford 5.4's are known to be turds but mine is still running like it is new.

If you asked the general public if Toyota trucks capable of towing got good gas mileage they would say yes - fake news don't be fooled!!!!

Won't catch me buying another Honda or Toyota - from bad experiences with both company's

My last word on this subject - buy what works for Ya!

croaker stroker

I think the window sticker on my 2012 TRD Toyota Tacoma said 21 mpg....my average was 14.

On a positive note...it was powerful for a six cylinder. Felt like a 350ci V8.

I just considered when you buy a Toyota "Racing" Developmant (TRD) truck. You shouldn't expect good gas mileage. Like buying a Ford "Cobra"  :wink:

The deal killer for me was the RANGE !  With the poor gas mileage and small gas tank, I couldn't go very far without having to fill up again. I wasn't expecting that. Didn't think that one through.  :facepalm:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Yat hit the nail on the head. No matter what you drive, change the oil, do the maintenance, wash it, and don't drive it like you stole it. At least not all the time. And those beautiful high $$$ Mercedes......never mind, I won't even mention it :stirthepot: :wink:

Yachter Yat

Back in 2002 I bought a new GMC V8 1/2 ton pickup.  That thing blew its valve train at around 77,000 miles.  At the time, the warrantee on these trucks was only 50,000.  Because of that, the dealer wouldn't even talk to me about reparations.  I had a choice..... either pay to have the heads redone, or, buy a new engine.  Although the new engine was more expensive, I didn't want to pay somebody to be cranking on a wrench all day on my motor.  Consequently, I decided to cough-it-up for the new engine.  What's funny is, the service manager was a family acquaintance.......went to high school with my older brother.  Moreover, the people who own the dealership actually live around the corner from me.  New engine it was!  Here's what's funny:  At one point during the negotiations for that engine, I happened to ask the service rep where the nearest Toyota dealer was...........he thought I was joking.  Little did he know; this would be the last time I ever darkened their door.       

Needless to say, this was a painful lesson for me. I sort of look at it like "tuition";  the price you pay for your education.  When I think of how Toyota made-good on some of their much older trucks, I can't help but wonder why anybody would even consider anything else.  Brag about, or buy anything you want, but just remember who actually stands behind their products.

Yat

BTW, I've owned more than my share of vehicles.  All I can say about my Mercedes is this:  On the side of the Benz, (while not bad) by comparison, the others all look like they might have been assembled by a bunch of monkeys with five thumbs on each hand.  (haha) 

Ooops!  Sorry, made a typo........truck was a 2002.
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

My first Truck was a 1967 Datsun P/U.... Nothing to go wrong.  :shrug9: 

Brakes, manual Transmission, Lawn Mower Engine.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

But it had turn signals!   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Ok, update. My wife wanted this Toyota Camry sport XSE V6, 301HP. It's a pretty sweet ride. I wanted the Tacoma but as they say, happy wife, well you know the saying  :jester: I am keeping my GMC Jimmy  :biggrin:

Omega3

Makes perfect sense,you chose a new boat she chose a new car!
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

We also took into consideration everything most people say about the newer generation Tacoma's and the fact that these dealers simply don't budge on these Toyota trucks. High price, no special interest rates, hard to find the model and color we want etc. They really do think these trucks are made out of gold. We just were not convinced for the prices they are asking.

Yachter Yat

Yeah Fisher, we hear you.........new Tacomas are indeed expensive.  I would have said look for a well-cared-for 2015, but I don't think you'd be thrilled with what people are asking for those either.  Seeing the price of these vehicles has compelled me to keep mine in the garage, wipe it often and treat it like a Princess. 

Funny, but a couple of weeks ago, I brought it in for an oil change and State inspection.  I had just finished polishing and detailing the little baby, so she was "sparkling".    After pulling-in to the staging area, I noticed one of the service techs watching me.  Noticing that, after I got out and closed the door, I reached into my back pocket, pulled out my handkerchief and pretended to wipe a small spot off the side of the door. :whistle:  I believe he got the "message" as, when I picked-it-up.......it was still "spotless".  :wink:  Hey.........for those who are unaware, being anal happens to be an ongoing job that, oftentimes, requires unorthodox behavior.  :jester:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Fisher nice ride and I bet your wife is happy, but you still got the sweet ride, that GMC Jimmy is :biggrin:

Fisherdv

Thanks Jeremy, here's a few more pics of the Jimmy.

SB Steve

Sweet!  I bet it looks even hotter topless :biggrin:

Fisherdv

Quote from: SB Steve on July 22, 2018, 05:11:34 PM
Sweet!  I bet it looks even hotter topless :biggrin:
Ya, but I never take her top off :jester:

SB Steve

:jester: Pity!

So I was fully intent on getting a new GMC 3 weeks ago to replace my Mercedes ML.  Glad the deal fell through.  I wanted to go back to GMC, but their mid-sized SUV was just lacking.  It is funny how things work out sometimes, I got a better car at a better price.  My first Ford.  4WD and tow package.  It is perfect for my Arima.  The Mercedes was a really reliable car, but replacement parts are very expensive.

Fisherdv

Nice SUV Steve, and that's coming from a Chevy/GM guy  :jester:

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Steve those Explorers are nice 👍  :biggrin:

Markshoreline

Croaker, does your wife know about the $500 rod and reel????
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

sikoruk

To answer a question way back in the string, we tow a SR19HT with a Toyota 2011 Crew Cab six foot bed without a problem. Should probably put the brakes back on the trailer that the previous owner took off but the boat doesn't ever push us around.  The one change we made is that I added air bags to the rear axle to help a little with the rise and keep the Tacoma level.

FWIW
-Justin
1992 SR19HT - 115 Honda 9.9 Honda