Author Topic: Advice needed...How to jack your boat off trailer for bottom painting?  (Read 10571 times)

Offline chet

I just got my arima, it's a 17 SC.  It doesn't have any bottom paint and I need to paint it.  I have never bottom painted and I wasn't able to find any old posts on how to jack your boat up off the trailer.  I have a roller trailer.  My questions are:

Can I release some tension from the bow trailer line and push the boat back 6-8" in order to paint that area or will I have some issues?

or-

I read about dropping the ball hitch jack (not sure of the term) as low as it will go and some how putting jack stands or blocks in the stern and then re- raising the ball jack all the way up to lift the middle/front area up?  I don't own jack stands and they seem to run like 100 each, so I assume I would need at least 4 or for sure 2 of them.  Have you made any blocks?  How'd you make em?  where do you want to put them on the hull so you don't mess up the hull?

If you have any info or ideas on how to jack a boat off the trailer for painting, I really appreciate your input and ideas.

THX...Chet

Offline Hydro-Therapy

Re: Advice needed...How to jack your boat off trailer for bottom painting?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »

Chet   I am all for doing all you can on your own boat and I do almost everything on mine. But after working in a boat yard for a short time. I DO NOT DO THE BOTTOM PAINT!!!  It is a nasty and dangerous job.
When I had mine done I figured there was over $200 worth of paint and barrier coat and I think they charged me $475 for my 19 .It was well worth me not being under there sanding,then putting on the barrier, then 2 coats of bottom paint. To me it was Time and Safety.The boat yard is equipped  to do this kind of work and I am  not. That and I am to old and fat to roll around under there that long breathing all the dust and fumes.

But if you really think you want to tackle it.  Here is what I have done to raise the boat off the trailer to repair it.

I used a stack of 6x12  wood blocks for the back ,then to raise the front I used a heavy duty floor jack with a wood block on it ( be sure it is centered and you jack from the front and not the side.)Going from the side the jack will pull it off center of the trailer.This should give you 6 to 8 inches of clearance. You will end up with 3pt stand under the boat which is the most stable way to do it. I like to leave the trailer under the boat just as a safety factor. Ya it is in the way a bit ,but just in case for some unknown reason the boat should shift off the blocks it will come down on the trailer and not you. Be sure to place the blocks where when boat is back on trailer you can go back and paint the area they were in.

Good Luck and be Safe

Hydro-Therapy
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
I was idiot enough to volunteer to help a friend remove bottom paint from his boat.  I learned that is about the only thing worse than applying the stuff.  So I echo Hydro-Therapy's advice.  Don't do it!  If you have to do it...think long and hard about it.  Then pay someone to do it!

We removed the trailer from under my buddy's boat in much the same way.  Side to side in back with a floor jack and wood blocks until it was off the trailer.  Then up front a bit at a time until we could just roll the trailer out.  The boat was extremely stable in the three point.  We jumped around inside it to test it out and knew it wasn't going anywhere.

But....  I'll never do that again.  Enjoy.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
Chet,

I did mine (4 coats of it actually),  In fact I've done more than 1 boat.  Tell you what I did.

First...yes, loosen the winch cable and push it back about 12" or so.  Then used a large firewood round under the stern right on the centerline. 
About  1/3rd of the way up I placed rounds on end out on the Chine (port and Starboard).  Then again right about where the Chine starts.  I also placed a round under the keel just forward of there. Of course pulling the trailer out as you go.
  That was overkill for support but I was under there on a creeper for almost 2 weeks stripping, sanding, and painting. 
Now...I have a chain fall (2-ton chain hoist from HF), set up in my shop to lift the boat when I need to.  Actually I have one for the bow and stern. 

You could get it done leaving it on the trailer but you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to work around the roller assemblies.

Guess it boils down to how much you want to put into the job.

Hope this helps,
Terry B.

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline chet

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
Cool...thanks for the info. I'll have to check around for prices from local boat yards and weight the pro's/cons..

Offline xplorz

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
Not much help on the bottom paint as I bought a trailer queen  :jester:, but when I did buy a boat/trailer in Oregon and imported it to Washington, I was required to get an actual certified weight of the trailer before it could be licensed. So I did the lower the trailer tongue as far as it goes, then put blocks under the rear sponsons. Raise the trailer back to normal, then jack the front of the boat up. Now, to get the trailer completely out from underneath the boat, I jacked as far ahead of axles/crossmembers as I could, then gently pulled the trailer forward by handuntil just before hitting the jack/blocks. Then I jacked behind that with another jack and removed the first one. Lather, rinse and repeat untill all crossmembers and axles are cleared. Took maybe 15 mins total by myself to get the trailer clear.

I will not make any claims as to the safety or lack there of working under the a boat supported in this manner.

'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
Ceht...Hull painting is a "thankless" job. The prep-work is key to a good job. For my 19 SR, here in Nor Cal, I got a 1200 -1500 verbal telephone estimate depending on the type of paint which was over my budget pricey, but I know they do good work. Maybe in the future I will do on my 21.

Awhile back, Woody had a great idea about how to get a boat off the trailer. Good chuckle. On the other hand, you might want some good advice on how to get it off the ground once you jerk it off the trailer.  Good luck! JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Chet...

Your profile doesn't show where you live. 
If it's nearby I'm sure there are several of us on here to lend you a hand getting it off the trailer.
It really is pretty easy.

Terry B.
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline chet

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
I will update that.  I live in Gig Harbor WA.  I made some calls today and got a quote for 650.  Which seems pretty fair.  My boat has never been painted before, so I need to launch it and mark the water line for the guy.  I'm still debating what to do.  I like to DIY work, but I also know that an experienced person with the right tools and experience can probably to a better job then me.  I need to look at the cost of paint and then make a choice.  Thanks again for all the ideas. 

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
Chet

Fish the boat for a season (unless you are going to leave it on the water for the summer).  Your 'water line' will likely be easily discernible  :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Danno

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
A year ago when I had Don work on my project 17' SC, he quoted $800 for bottom paint. He noted that I could get it cheaper but that he had to hold his price because of competition against building Arimas. $650 seems reasonable. Like you, I was going to do it myself but the thought of all that work while on your back makes that $650 look a lot cheaper.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
Chet...

Are you planning on mooring your boat for morethan a couple 3 weeks at a time?  If not there's really no need for the bottom to be painted.
Now in my case...I had some serious bottom damage and after repairing it I had 2 choices...

1.  Take it to someone to get re-coated with Gel Coating.
2.  Apply a good barrier coat and then some bottom paint. 

Obviously I chose the latter.  Materials cost me about $125 and it took me 2 weeks (only because I move at a snails pace).
I also have a very large HEATED shop to park it in so I can work in any weather.

Terry B.
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
SK

Would you be kind enough to bring your heating to my large shop.  That sucker really gets cold in this crappy snowy/slushy weather, especially when humidity around 90% or higher.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
Fall before last I installed a Pellet stove I found for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!  Manual start but it heats great!

I also have one of those bullet type propane jobs, I hardly ever use it though because they make so much noise
and blow the dust around the woodshop real bad.

I have my woodshop, Arima, and 5th-wheel in there all nice and cozy...

Terry B.
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
If you are coming south for the boat show meeting or the Sportsman show and want to make a deal for the propane heater, bring it along.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
Sorry SF...
No deals for the heater (but they are under $100 at O'Reilley's Auto Parts).  
Besides I will not be attending the show or the meeting (unfortunately) :shrug9:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:14:48 PM by Salmon King »
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline chet

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
Speaking of boat shows...any of you going to be at the seattle show on the 27th?

Seattleflyfisher

Can a 19' be raised from the stern with a floor jack? Not on the sponsons but from the middle?

SFF
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:43:31 AM by Seattleflyfisher »

Offline Hydro-Therapy

SFF they can be jacked up in the middle but always have a tendency to rock one way or the other depending on the weight distribution in the boat. That is why a 3 point raise is so much safer.

H-T

Seattleflyfisher

The hull moved forward on the road trip across the states. The rollers are out side the sponsons and I would really like to move the hull back.

SFF

Online Danno

The hull moved forward on the road trip across the states. The rollers are out side the sponsons and I would really like to move the hull back.

SFF

The floor jack will work under center but have someone on one side to steady the boat in case it starts to tip. Time to move the winch stand back a bit.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Seattleflyfisher

This is a short - long subject that I will not go into on the trip across the states. If I can get the hull back about 6 inches then I can move the winch stand back. Just a tip.....if moving a boat across the country always make sure everything is tight!  Always check!

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
I think you would be better off to launch it and reload onto the trailer where you wanted it.  (put in the plug first)   :wink:

Talk to VX Hatch how he did it.  He had the whole boat off the trailer at one point with pictures and everything.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Hydro-Therapy

SFF the easy way to do this one is to lower the tongue jack and put blocks under the sponsons, then raise the jack  . That will get the rear of the boat high enough to clear the rollers . Then take your floor jack to the front of the boat  , with a block of wood on the jack raise it up as needed to roll the trailer back into desired position.

H-T

Offline GoodDays

Same idea but I use a few old tires I keep around for the job instead of the wood blocks.

GoodDays Greg

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
I may be stating the obvious here Darren but...

Why not just float back the trailer down a ramp until the stern floats free then loosen and reposition the winch stand?  There has got to be some water around you somewhere.

Other than that I have to agree with the suggestion above.

Keep us posted!
Terry
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Seattleflyfisher

Lets just say if all of the rollers were not broken apart I would just drive down to the water but I was hoping I could just do a quick move and fix this.

SFF

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
Did not kow the rollers had broken.

I will have to agree with lowering the trailer jack and placing wood or tires underneath then raising the jack again.   I would recommend finding a tire place like a Les Schwabs becaue they have plenty of old tires to use and the room to use them.
Next loosen the winch line.
Now..if you reconnect to the truck and CAREFULLY pull forward the trailer will pull and the boat will stay.

Once the boat is where you want it just relocate te winch stand.

Sounds like a PIA but I have done this and it does work, your only other viable option is a boat dealer whre they have a lift to set the trailer right.

Terry
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline CompTime

I think VX Hatch would agree if I remember correctly. This is the easiest way.
SEA RANGER 19 /GOT-BAIT?

Offline pnwislanddog

Now, I'm sure that those of you all who have done this aren't fibbing at the ease of it all. But I found the procedure problematic. Last summer when I was investigating methods for getting the trailer out from under the boat, I attempted this very procedure. I blocked the stern under the sponsons then raised the bow via the trailer jack. This was very hard going... difficult cranking of the handle. I looked at my jack and it has a maximum rating. I don't recall the exact number right now. But no matter, the rating is far below the amount I was trying to lift. So then, I began to actually think about what I was trying to do. I reason: as soon as the boat is lifted from the rollers or bunks there is a dramatic weight redistribution to the bow end. The boat is no longer evenly supported throughout its length, rather, it is supported only at the extreme ends. If the boat were like a uniformly loaded beam then half of its total weight would be held by the jack. Fortunately, most of the weight is at the stern where the motors are.

I wasn't comfortable doing this. Probably because I know that my trailer jack was being stressed. If I were to attempt it again, I think I'd rig a hydraulic jack instead of using the one on the trailer.

I hope this helps.

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
Might try your local mobile home or commercial office trailer dealers (modular buildings) and see if you can buy or borrow some steel foundation adjustable pier/jackstands. Used ones are usually really cheap but quite strong. Use wooden wedges on top.

Float off at a launch ramp and move back winch/bow stop stand would be my first choice for repositioning boat on trailer. Good luck, JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline vxhatch

I think VX Hatch would agree if I remember correctly. This is the easiest way.

I agree.. It worked great for me  :biggrin:
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Seattleflyfisher

I ended up going to the boat launch for the reset of the boat on the trailer.

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Much better  :clap: . Any damage to the hull?
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Seattleflyfisher

Yep, to much hull damage to talk about  :redface:    It is just fiberglass so it can be fixed but all the hauler had to do was reset the hull in a body of water rather then just keep driving :nono: