Author Topic: our trip to Port Townsend and beyond  (Read 303 times)

Offline Dhil12

our trip to Port Townsend and beyond
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
My wife and I are going to Port Townsend for a few days and I am thinking of circumnavigating Whidbey Island going thru Deception pass before coming home to Edmonds.From you experienced guys, do you have any advice going thru Deception pass? I am planning on going thru at slack tide to keep out first trip thru there easy. we plan to come home next Thursday and the tide tables say low tide there will be 12:14 pm. Is it a place you should only pass at  slack tide? anything I should look for and know in advance?
Thanks,
Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline tsuribaka

Re: our trip to Port Townsend and beyond
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:02 PM »
Deception is not impassable during most tide changes but for a first time passage slack is definitely recommended. Even moderate volume exchanges can create some pretty gnarly seas in a few specific spots.

Well worth the trip though. Very scenic and I also find the complicated flow patterns very interesting to observe down at sea level. Totally different than the view from up on the bridge.

Watch your chart going through Saratoga Passage to make sure you stay in the channel. Most areas are plenty deep enough for a shallow draft boat like an Arima but it is possible to run aground in places you wouldn't have thought based solely on how it looks above the waterline. E.g., passing between Ben Ure Spit and Hope Is, pretty much all of Skagit Bay, etc.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
 :yeahthat: up North and into the channel into La Conner.  At Deception there are lots of shallow rocks at the upper corner of west beach that have torn out numerous out drives- avoid being in close there.
I like to do loops around he wide and narrow passes at Deception.  You can really feel the power of the area!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I will look at the charts to see the areas you are talking about
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker