News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Crabbing has started for some.

Started by Holokai, June 22, 2018, 08:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holokai

Here is a picture at 10th street ramp that my friend took today.  He couldn't even retrieve in the right lane, had to use the launch lane because the crab buyers were blocking them all waiting for the tribe boats to come in with their 5 crab limit!  Now I have to think about is it worth it to even try next weekend.  Ill bet that the tribes that can't crab down south were up here today and we won't be able to crab next year since they wiped them out this year! They shouldn't be allowed to use the ramp for financial gain like they are.  Ill bet that those truck didn't pay a parking fee!

Markshoreline

It's a shame on our fish managers
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

headduck

When do we start saying fhck em and fish whenever however we want? Stop buying linceses...take what we deserve...bring on the fish wars of 2018!
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Holokai

Forgot to say and their 2 pot per person and 4 per boat!  And they were out there again today ( 6/23 ).  My friend said they carpet bomb the entire channel from the coast guard station all the way to 10th street ramp!

headduck

Ridiculous...the system is broken...tribes sell our resource at wholesale to the detriment of all...a true shame. I saw a boat heading towards disco/sequim bay the other day with no less than 50 pots on board...

Hunter

So...... who is tracking, counting and monitoring these tribal quota's, limits and methods?    My guess is no one.
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Markshoreline

When they put in I put in.  It will be open season.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

beancounter

Fisherdv

I kind of feel the same way about all the party boats in SF bay. There's a lot of them and they have about 25 people aboard each boat at times. They vacuum up the halibut and stripers in the bay every day, all day. Yes I know they have to make a living to but geez, how long can we sustain this kind of fishing? Another thing that really bugs me is seeing them net little shaker halibut that are undersized. I watched it all day today.  Do you really need to net and tear up the tail of a 2 pound halibut? Pretty soon we will all be forced to sell our boats because there just won't be any fish. The way these folks over fish these areas WE will be the ones that the fishing restrictions will be put on
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hunter

Does anyone have a link to where we can go to read the actual rules, restrictions, gear usage and prescribed seasons for these tribal fisheries?   

Or......is it really that there are no such rules?   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

tsuribaka

Quote from: Hunter on June 24, 2018, 05:46:49 PM
Does anyone have a link to where we can go to read the actual rules, restrictions, gear usage and prescribed seasons for these tribal fisheries?   

Or......is it really that there are no such rules?   

All legal tribal fisheries are reported to WDFW who distribute via a listserv at TreatyFishRegs@dfw.wa.gov. I forget the exact sign up procedure but I think it was pretty much like typical - send a blank e-mail and it will send instructions back to you. Once you sign up you will get copies of all tribal fishery regs forwarded to your inbox.

There may be other ways to get info but that is one I know of. Be aware tribal fisheries are based on commercial regions (not the Marine Areas 1-13 sportfishers are familiar with) so it can be challenging to figure out where the fisheries are located. I found a good map at one point but of course now I can't find it again.  :redface:

This map shows the regions in the North Sound and is also overlayed with WDFW commercial crab management regions.

Peddler

Plenty to be angry about as a sport-fisher. 

* We (non-treaty) were thrown under the bus at the time Judge Boldt was crafting his decision, due to lack of response by Dept of Fisheries DoF upon request of Boldt at the time.
* The tribes OWN the state government today, by way of campaign contribution.
* To a great extent, the hands of the folks at WDFW are tied, due to the above.
* Rules are on the books concerning tribal harvest, technique, equipment and reporting, but it's basically on the "Honor System," and self-enforced.  (Would you trust the entire sport user-group to self-govern?)
* 50/50 and "In-common" is hardly the rule or practice, nor do the tribes have any care.

While not impossible, it's pretty unlikely that the tribes of Areas 11 & 13 who are closed this year are fishing other areas.  They'd have to be invited by the tribes of those areas, and as I understand it'd be highly unusual.  Those tribes who are open stand to profit from the Southern closures.

I'd be tempted to set "Protest" pots, but I'm not willing to risk forfeiture of my boat.  Maybe I need to find a cheapo Bayliner, which I wouldn't care to lose, and might "Blend-in" with the tribal fleet.

Wishin' I was Fishin'

headduck

Went out over the weekend in sequim bay and the tribes were still hammering the crab grounds. The fish monger pulled up to the launch to start loading and I took a few conspicuous pics.

It seemed as if they decided to abort the offload when they saw me recording their actions.  :shrug9:

Does the tribe season overlap the sporty? Maybe it was coincidence that they left without offloading, but they sure were acting suspicious.

StreamFixer

The tribes in the Sound are what they are.  Let us not launch into an anti-tribe rant.  That quickly crosses the line into politics and will be either deleted or otherwise removed.

Thank you
StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

headduck

Appreciate the control of political commentary, and the nimby response...seems fair enough.  :shrug9:

Following suit on other posts, certainly not trying to push beyond AO etiquette. Apologies.