News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

First Outing Saturday! Preperation?

Started by WalleyeJeff, June 21, 2018, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalleyeJeff

Saturday will be our first day out.  Can I get some ideas as to what I should be looking for.

Tips?

I completed the  Washington boaters course and can back the trailer fine, but  what else should I be thinking about?

Thanks!
2018 19' Sea Chaser ST, 115 Honda, 8 Honda

ATGEP

Keep the winch strap attached until the boat is in the water! Take your time and have fun.

Fisherdv

I'm assuming your a new boater?

1) DRAIN PLUG
2) LIFE JACKETS for all persons
3) Take it slow and get to know the boat

Have a great time!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hydroman

Make sure you put the drain plug in and keep the boat secured to the wench when backing down the ramp.

Wish you fair weather and smooth sailing

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Omega3

If you are launching in the dark turn your lights off.Have registration for boat in boat and a current safety gear.Keep an eye out for logs and deadheads.Troll with the tide.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

amazing grace

Get good fuel. Make sure you have bait and a net. Licenses and Reg. Good marine fire extingushers. An extendable boat hook. Throw bag and donut or flotation cushion. Slow and easy. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Rokefin

Pray!  Like Amazing Grace says "slow and easy", take your time and do not worry about what anyone else is thinking.  Relax, take your time, and command your vessel. You are the king- hooyahhhh

croaker stroker

My first time out in my new to me Sea Sprinter, I left the boat keys at home on my dresser.  :stooges:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

Plug in.   Have fun.   Play with everything on the boat that has a switch or a function.   Do a radio check.   If you have trim tabs, use them very carefully if at higher speeds.   One small tap, then wait....tap again, then wait....repeat if necessary.

As for the plug.....here's my .99 cent solution.   Every time I go to unhook with winch strap, my p-brain says to myself...... "self....why in the world is this spring-clamp on here with the word "PLUG"?

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

GregE

Before you get to the launch ramp line conduct a safety brief for everyone

Where is the fire ext,  throw line, proper wear of PFDs, how to operate the VHF and DSC,  How/ why to get forward when getting on plane, securing hats and other blow out stuff.  what to do if something or someone goes overboard ( keep, them/ it in sight and point) who does what.
Duties during launch, recovery and underway.  Define terms-  not your right, boat right etc...

Allow enough time to take it slow.  Be ready to launch when you get to the ramp- this is Not the time to take off transom straps , attach fenders and bow rope etc.  Don't be THAT guy

Keep the whole trip fun, nervous tension out burst memories last a long time
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

Patience.  For me, the most stressful part of boating is the launching and landing at a crowded boat ramp.  Take your time, relax, and don't let you temper get too tight.  If the old timers at the ramp get grumpy, just wave and smile and be positive.

If you are a novice trailer backer, I'd recommend doing some practice backing in an empty parking lot somewhere. 

Beyond that, get yourself a pre-flight check list and memorize it, and make it habit every time.  At the launch ready area, put the plug in, hang your fenders and dock lines, put your antenna up, take the rear straps off.  At the ramp, don't remove the winch strap and the safety chain until the rear of the boat is in the water. 

If you are new to launching/landing, it might be good to seek out some places to go that the ski boat/party crowd are less interested in, and practice there.  Here in the Portland area, Chinook landing is just nuts with skiiers on a summer weekend, but Scappoose Bay is only 45 minutes away and usually much less crowded and much more relaxed.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Rokefin

:yeahthat:  a preflight checklist. Compile a list on your phone and refer to it. I have a buddy that is religious with his checklists for golfing, hunting, fishing, and more - he pulls his phone and confidently gathers his needs - I haven't learned quickly enough as I walked in circles gathering amelessly in the past, I have finally began work on my lists....

Yachter Yat

Learn proper "ramp etiquette".......not the least of which is to load the supplies and gear on the boat, "out of the way"...........NOT on the ramp.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people do this.   :hoboy:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on June 22, 2018, 11:51:41 AM
    Learn proper "ramp etiquette".......not the least of which is to load the supplies and gear on the boat, "out of the way"...........NOT on the ramp.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people do this.   :hoboy:

Yat
Durning river salmon season here you will get ran over if you did that. Let alone the comments from the grumpy fisherman that slept in their trucks or got there at 3am just to be able to get in :hoboy:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Arimadrifter

1. Start boat in driveway before leaving house
2. Drain Plug
3. Gas
4. Life jackets
5. Safety discussion with crew
6. Relax and have fun!

17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Holoholo808

Learn how to properly tie a cleat hitch; especially important if the ramp has a lot of wind or current.

Walk through your launching and loading procedure at home with your checklist. When you're confident teach your crew different tasks; it'll make the whole evolution quicker if you have competent help and teaching others will keep you sharp.

Go down early and watch others launch. Take note of the conditions (wind/current/slippery ramp/potholes/etc) that can make your launch difficult and adjust accordingly.

Don't rush. Ever. For most of us boating is for recreation so there's no point in stressing out due to rushing. You'll also be more prone to making mistakes.

Have fun. Something's wrong if you get back from a day on the water and you're not smiling. Enjoy!!!

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

WalleyeJeff

Thank you!  I really appreciate the great advice.

Hope you all have a fun and safe weekend!
2018 19' Sea Chaser ST, 115 Honda, 8 Honda

Dhil12

First time out is a nerve racking experience. Others have posted great posts to help. make sure you are thinking ahead. have lines and fenders attached to the boat before launch and also before returning. Have a game plan with your first mate for docking, AND COMMUNICATE ALL THE WAY THRU THE PROCESS, something I'm terrible at. Most of all remember these two phrases, "slow is pro" and "dont go any faster than you are willing to hit the dock" Dont feel pressured to go fast. Enjoy and have a great time! Looking forward to hearing how everything went.

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Omega3

Don't forget to raise the motor before loading the boat coming in.You don't want to drag the skeg at the top of the ramp.Is this a brand new boat and a new skipper?

AJFishin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on June 22, 2018, 11:51:41 AM

Yat
:yeahthat:

- Take your time.
- Don't worry about the guy that wants the ramp next, the fish are not going to magically disappear.
- Look out for people walking behind your trailer before you start backing up.
- Put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel that way when you move your hand in the direction that you want the rear of the trailer to go, it goes in that direction. Make small adjustments to your steering, because a quarter of a turn on the steering wheel, equals a big movement of the trailer.
- Use your mirrors as much as possible, with frequent peeks over your shoulder.
- Remember to put your E-brake on, put the truck in Park, and your windows down once you loaded the boat in the water. If you have manual transmission, might be a good idea to get a wheel chalk.

- Don't forget some snacks and drinks  :biggrin:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Omega3

If you want to make backing up easy,drop your tailgate especially when the boat is not on it.

Fishgriller

I strongly endorse a checklist, at least in the beginning until it becomes routine.  About 5 years ago I had to send my son swimming to put the drain plug in after realizing we forgot to before we launched.  He was the only one wearing a bathing suit.  He now makes it his personal mission to ch check on the drain plug before every launch he is involved in.

One time I saw a group of guys at a ramp launching a big fancy ski boat and they were very rude and inconsiderate to others.  When it came to their turn ( after they cut in front of a fisherman with a tiny old boat), they couldn't get their boat off the trailer.  They even tried powering off and nearly twisted the boat on the trailer.  After a while struggling, they realized that they forgot to remove the transom straps.  It gave the rest of us a good laugh.  Poetic justice served.

Moral of these stories is that we all forget things, a checklist  is a great idea.  What also helps a lot is doing the steps in same order.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

whale

Don't forget to raise the motor when you pull the boat out of the water.
If it's windy, getting the boat back on the trailer may be tricky.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Yachter Yat

If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, get in the habit of "clicking-it-in" before backing down on the ramp.  You never know.....it may be the thing that saves you from becoming a "YouTube clip" someday. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Tunacious

Im probably to late for your first ride on your new boat but Ill add my advice anyway.

before going to the ramp find a quite spot where you can get everything ready.

Load crab pots, lunch, coats, stow poles, or what ever else needs to go in the boat.  Get everything organized.
Take tie down straps off the boat, place drain plug in.
Get your bow line placed on your boat and ready to be accessed when you launch by your helper if you have one.

I mostly launch by myself. 
I tie my bow line to the trailer post and then very gently ease my boat into the water so that I can float my boat off the trailer without ripping my trailer post off the boat.  Once the boat is free from the trailer I pull ahead just enough that I can reach the bow line to finish tying the boat to the ramp before I park my vehicle without getting my feet wet.

Always walk all the way around the boat before you leave the pre launch area to check for any gear or what ever else needs organized.
When you back down the ramp I always try to pick a ramp spot where the floating dock is on the driver side of the vehicle.  That way I am better able to see how close I am to the ramp than if the ramp were on the other side of the vehicle.

I always try to get the boat as close to the floating dock as possible so it is easier to just step inside the boat when needed.
When launching by myself if I can get the boat just a few inches from the floating dock I am able to untie the bow line from the trailer and then move my boat back on the dock and tie it up without any boots or problems.

If you choose to launch to far from the dock when you pull on the bow line to get your boat back to the dock the boat tends to turn sideways in the ramp area and causes problems.
That is what I do.

Most of all don't hesitate to ask someone there for help.  Tell them your new at launching your boat and Ill bet anybody at the ramp would be happy to help you. 
They have all been there and know what your feeling.
If I see a guy who looks like a newbie I always offer to help.
Thats what I do
I hope your trip was safe.