News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Has anyone converted a hardtop to a skip top?

Started by PugetScott, June 19, 2018, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PugetScott

I am starting to think I should have bought a skip top model - as I like a hard top but I also like to stand while I drive - and popping my head out of the 'sunroof' on the hard top is... well... awkward. 

It would seem as though the hard top could be removed and mounted to some custom-fabricated supports, very similar to the skip-top, and sit 6 or 8 inches higher than the regular hard top fit.

I know the windows are different between the hard top and soft top models; as the soft and skip top side windows slant down where the hard top windows are the same height all the way to the back of the structure.  I also believe the middle window of the soft/skip top versions can open?

Has anyone done this - or considered it - and, if so, any findings you feel I should be aware of?

Thanks all!
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

Rokefin

Very interesting you are thinking this way, it will be articulate to see what you come up with. I kind of like the idea of raising the hard top.

I am with you and stand often on my 17 skip top Chaser and for my use would have it no other way. I had been toying with a custom top incorporating the skip top - just thinking about it at this point.

How tall or short do you need to be for your hard top to be able to stand without getting lumps on your head?

PugetScott

I'm 6'1 and, with the sunroof/top open, the inside edge of the opening is right about at my chin level.  I'm thinking a raise of 8" will give me standing room - but still be able to reach the tops to open them for air flow when desired (although having a nice 8" gap between the windshield and top should be plenty!

Obviously it would have been a non-issue had I realized this ahead of my purchase and just bought a skip-top - but - too late now so time to make adjustments.

Omega3

Sell the hardtop boat and buy a soft top or break out the sawsall and make it a convertible.Do you have the skills needed for option 2?
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

PugetScott

No sawsall required - the hard top appears to unbolt from the boat without too much headache.

I have the skills - just curious if anyone has already done it and encountered any ah-ha moments or gotchas.

La-Z-Buoy

Scott,

I would not modify the existing hard top. Here's why: The hard top boat is worth more than a soft/skip(?) top boat with everything else on par, year, condition, accessories, motors. I have often contemplated trading down as it were to recoup some of the money I've invested in my hard top. But I do love the hard top. And any time you trade for something there is an inherent risk. But, if you are determined to stand, keep an eye out for a comparable Ranger. A bonus is that you gain fishing space with the Ranger and even more in the Chaser (if you can find one).

One more point. If you extend the hardtop up be very focused on supporting it WELL. Not so much with the old style hard tops but evidently the newer, taller, forward facing window models are having issues with stability and frame stress.

On the other hand you can do what Wrinagade did:     http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15248.0
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Neal

Can a chaser or ranger with a skip tower be converted to a hardtop?  If yes maybe you can swap with someone who wants a hard top that has a skip tower.  Just a thought. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Mac

I think it would work, the top you have has been used as a skip top on other boats. The glass is a bit wrong
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

PugetScott

Tom Mac - that is what I was hoping to see!  Thank you!  This is basically what I had in mind; I just wasn't finding any evidence of it being done.

I would need to find the windows, as mentioned, or fab some. I have a call into Arima directly to see what the correct windows would cost me.

I will keep y'all posted if/when I tackle this.

Rokefin

All that boat needs is some custom canvas for the colder wet days...

PugetScott

mustang65fbk

I was in the same boat so to speak, :jester: , in that I'm 6'2" tall and my buddy and uncle, whom I fish with on a regular basis are both around 6'4" tall.  I love the idea of the hardtop for the days where the weather isn't cooperative, or it's cold, really windy and so on and it helps you stay out of the sun completely.  That being said, I don't like the idea of either A. Having to slouch over underneath the hardtop because as soon as I get a fish on I'm going to forget about slouching over and slam my head into something or B. Having to take the middle floorboard out to get the height you need as I'd likely trip over the ledge and do some damage as well.  The weather thing is a pretty easy fix in that I have the clear vinyl? curtains for wind, waves or water splashing over the bow and  I'm also more of a fair-weather fisherman in that if it's raining and stormy with large waves then I'll probably just stay in and not go out as it's going to be difficult or not fun to fish anyway.  So to me, the skip top, especially in a 21' boat, is the perfect combination for taller people that are over 6' tall.  My buddy and uncle, like I said, are both around 6'4"-6'5" tall and they both fit underneath the skip top with room to spare.  I wish you could make the hardtop taller underneath or something so that you could easily stand underneath and not hit your head as it would be really nice for making longer 20+ mile runs in unknown conditions but I don't do that often.  I've also heard that even the 22' Sea Legend is the same in terms of height in that you can't stand up underneath if you're over 6' without taking the floor panel out or slouching?  It's disappointing because I think the 22' SL HT would be my ideal boat if I could stand underneath the hardtop completely.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Dhil12

personally I would sell that boat and buy another convertible or a skip top. I think you are talking alot of money on the conversion and devalueing you boat. I have a 22' sea legend, hardtop, alaskan bulkhead. I know what you are talking about. I'm 6'1" and need to duck my head to stand up.
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

gfakkema

You should really look into what Wrinagade did. The link as La-Z-Buoy previously posted....

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15248.0

Here is the meat and potatoes...

He was quoted as saying that he did it for $2000. You'd be into it for much more than that unless you are a fabricator. Just another idea. I would personally prefer the HT over a skip and this is one of the ways to get it done. I especially like the forward slanted windshield as well.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Markshoreline

I really like Wrinigade's enclosed hardtop.
However if you want a skip top there are ways of accomplishing that using your old hard top.  The advantage is that the hard tops are longer and provide more coverage than the skip top tops, plus they have the removable hatches.  Yes, you will likely need a windshield and have the framing custom made. 
Marine40 has had a hard top on a 17, 19 and now a 21- all with the same top!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Marine40

I believe a new window set is $1500. A couple years ago if I remember correctly the windshield was 1k.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Marine40

This is the same top moved to a bigger boat. 17,19 and then to a 21.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Yachter Yat

What?  If I read this thread correctly, I get the impression some of you guys wouldn't mind seeing Arima make some design changes??    Now, now.........stop trying to mess with perfection.  :whistle:

:jester:  Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

No major design changes......just cut the sponsons off and use that material to make a hardtop :hoboy:

I really really really like the idea of the hard top used as a skip top :clap:

Would it be necessary to replace the windshield? why?

gfakkema

Quote from: Marine40 on June 19, 2018, 11:51:07 PM
I believe a new window set is $1500. A couple years ago if I remember correctly the windshield was 1k.

Belinda mentioned the price for the windshields here...

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15459.0

Quote from: BurnsiebabeA few of you have asked about replacement windshields for the 15'-19' Arima boats.  I have two available on this next shipment coming up, that I have been told I can sell to retrofit older boats.  I had five but three are already spoken for.

Should have them in in about two weeks.  Call me if you need one.  $1450 plus crating (if I need to ship), sales tax, and shipping.

Belinda (Burnsiebabe)
360-813-3600
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

PugetScott

Quote from: Rokefin on June 20, 2018, 07:23:18 AM

Would it be necessary to replace the windshield? why?

Just aesthetics.  The hardtop side windows are rectangular.  The soft or skip top side windows slant downward going aft.  I just think that would look better.

Salmon King

Quote from: Marine40 on June 19, 2018, 11:59:07 PM
This is the same top moved to a bigger boat. 17,19 and then to a 21.

No matter how many times I see your boat Darren I fall deeper in love with it every darned time!
Your boat is just plain SEXY!!!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Rokefin

Totally agree Salmon King, that there is the ticket for me - love that setup!