News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

"This" Will Keep You Grounded...

Started by Old No7, June 19, 2018, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old No7

Well... Maybe not grounded, but here's something to look for if you start to experience intermittent electrical "gremlins" on your trailer lights.......

A few years ago I added LED "tube lights" up high on top of the PVC guide posts and those provide great visibility and stay completely out of the water when launching.  Those are slick and work great!  At the same time, I left the 2 older incandescent lower lights on the trailer as they were working well and with no leaks to let any air "out", the water wasn't getting "in" to them.  Plus, they added some visibility to help prevent all the Googans or Mass-holes (I can say that, I was born there...) who drive the roads of Maine from slamming into my outboard.

This year though, I started to experience some random gremlins, always on the starboard side of the trailer only, and the upper LEDs were not operating as well as those on the port side.  Well, this is why.................

That frayed wire was hidden by the lower lights -- which still worked occasionally -- but now I know for sure that was the issue.

So I wired up new sealed LEDs down low, on both sides, and all wiring connections were double-sealed in heat-shrink tubing to ensure no water intrusion, as well as all wires were triple-wrapped with electrical tape where they came through or contacted the trailer frame.

Here's the final results -- all is good now!!!  Googans beware!!!

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

GregE

Good info and I like your set up   :clap:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait