News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

downrigger mounting position 17 sea chaser

Started by raul duke, June 18, 2018, 08:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raul duke

rigging a new boat.  best spot to mount downrigger bases?  is there some kind of reinforced spot on the gunnell to better take the load?  just wondering.  thanks.
2016 sea chaser 17
1996 trophy 2352 pilothouse
1994 proline 170 sold
2012 bayliner 192 discovery sold
1988 trophy hardtop 20 ft.  sold

amazing grace

Would say about 2' forward of the "L" from where the gunnel and stern come together. Maybe a bit further forward if you are going to use the base for a scotty pot puller. Like maybe half the distance of the gunnel.

It is a personal preference thing.

Get in the boat and mimmick you actions in the boat such as fighting a fish and netting  netting one,  etc. to help you figure it out. Some mount all the way back. Not my preference. 

On my lil SE I will mount mine more towards the rear and the gunnel is pretty short.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

J Chaser

See photo. I'm happy with the location. I used the right angle mounts and added cutting board material to add some strength to the gunwale.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Salty Dangler

Mine are in the same spot as J's, and it works well for me. When I got my Scotty pot puller, I added a couple of sections of aluminum bar stock on the underside of the gunnel as reinforcement and to distribute the force. My shrimp pots are super heavy and there is no indication of stress on the gunnels.

raul duke

poked around under the gunnel.  zero backing from the cleat to the stern, just glass.  2 or 3 inches forward of the rear side cleat there is aa extra  half inch of foam and glass under the gunnel.  . i guess it's gotta be in that area with some extra backing so as not to crush the foam core.  thanks for the 411.  cheers.
2016 sea chaser 17
1996 trophy 2352 pilothouse
1994 proline 170 sold
2012 bayliner 192 discovery sold
1988 trophy hardtop 20 ft.  sold

mustang65fbk

I have a 21' SR ST as opposed to the 17' SC that you're referring to but I have mine in approximately the same location as the others.  On my uncles old boat, 1993 26' Bayliner, we mounted them almost at the rear of the boat.  This was a pain to get to and also try and get the rod out of the rod holder because you were almost leaning over the back of the boat to get the pole out of the pole holder.  I like the location mine, as well as the other members, are at now because you have so much more room on the side of the boat there as opposed to trying to squeeze into the back portion of the boat.  Especially if you have a buddy trying to bring up your downrigger ball while you're fighting a fish, it's like a Chinese fire drill of moving around.  Same goes with netting a fish, IMO.  We, as well as others, use to net the fish off the back of the boat, for what reason I am unsure.  You can get the fish or your lines tangled up in the engine, kicker motor, trim tabs, transducer and so on, and it's harder for someone to net it back there in that little cubby area.  I have since changed to netting off the side of the boat.  My boat has an 8' beam so when I get a fish on, I'll quickly turn the boat to the side that has the fish on and then put it in neutral.  I'll then get the downrigger ball up for the other person, have them stand on the opposite side of the boat, that way the fish will be right at the side of the boat and I don't feel like I'm going to fall in the water reaching out and trying to net the fish.  Also, if the fish moves forward or backward, I can adjust accordingly and you can generally make it so that the fish is coming at you and without having the fish go under the boat.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Rokefin

On my 17 chaser I have mine mounted unlike others, mine are mounted to the rear of the cleat and I would have it no other way.
I like the idea of the riggers in the back and I want them out of the way.....because it is a Chinese fire drill as Mustang states, and after I clear the riggers  I feel you have more room with the riggers towards the rear and the open area on the side.  Less problems of net or pole tangles in my opinion.  I would set the riggers up on your boat, maybe tape them down so they don't fall and get a feel for what you may prefer.

amazing grace

Roke, glad you posted about your preference. Do you feel it makes connecting your line to your rigger more difficult?
Also, do you use the base for a puller?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Rokefin

You would need to stretch a bit more with riggers to the rear than if they were at the side but not an issue for me, I'm not tall but I don't recall it being a problem, if it was I would put the retrieve string on the cable. The more I thought about it, I am really glad the boat came with the bases where they are - behind the cleats.

I do have a puller base in front of the cleat but I never use a puller, I still like to pull manually but I am pulling pots at 60 feet max and only crab once or twice a year.

Rokefin

Take a look, mine are actually all the way to the back and I pull the cables forward when working them.

Also I recently moved the plug, where they were plugged in I was constantly pushing on them with my legs so I moved the outlet below the gunnel. I really wanted the plugs in the splash well but this boat has enough holes in it.

amazing grace

I see Roke, that would be too far back for me. Glad it works for you. Again. Nice to have another perspective.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Omega3

To each his own but that is the last place I would mount a downrigger.Most are mounted just in front of the rear cleat.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fishgriller

Here is the factory install location.  It's about 10 inches forward of the cleat.  No backing plate, they said it's not needed.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

mustang65fbk

I agree on them being way too far back for my personal preference.  If that's what works for you that's all that matters but being 6'2" tall and having had them in a similar location on my uncles' old boat, I felt like I was going to almost fall in the water every time I had a fish on and was trying to grab the pole out of the pole holder on the rigger.  Where they are at now works perfectly for me and it's really convenient when fishing alone so that you can be closer to the controls.  Just my  :twocents:
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Holokai

Fish...  There is no starboard under the scotty outing plate?  I bought mine in 2014 and the put a piece under it.  Wonder whats changed.

blindmonkey

2013 boats and newer have no wood and the composite doesn't have the structural strength in gunnels the earlier boats with wood had. I put a 2' length of 4"x4" 3/8" thick aluminum in each gunnel where downriggers plate is. Definite improvement.  :twocents:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Humboldtfisher

I had these rails with mounts custom made locally in northern CA. Love them!
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

Rokefin

Humboldt - I really love that setup you have and have looked at manufacturing something like that...I like the height but I am stuck on having my Riggers further back :shrug9:

I am going to make a concious effort next fishing trip out to analyze exactly where the riggers would be most comfortable for me.

Fisherdv

Arima and King Salmon in Wa. I believe make those rails with the downrigger pads. They are expensive though
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Ko Ho

There's an additional advantage to having the downriggers mounted slightly forward of the cleat. It is easier to clip your line into the release from behind the rigger. This prevents your line or the release clip from tangling with the ball or cable as you start to lower the ball.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

J Chaser

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Humboldtfisher

Rokefin:

I would think much farther back and you'd be balancing on your knees on the back corner seats clipping onto the downrigger ball. The Cannon Uni-troll has a bit longer (and telescopic) booms that gives the downrigger cable ample clearance during turns. I certainly wouldn't want the downriggers any further forward than I mounted them.

Ross
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

familyrig

I really like those rails with DR mount.  I showed them to my neighbor and he ordered them from Arima for his Trophy.  Makes me jealous everytime I fish with him... They are just so expensive!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

Fisherdv

If I'm not mistaken King Salmon in Wa. has them cheaper :shrug9: Maybe someone in that area can confirm if I'm even getting the name of that shop right :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

gfakkema

Quote from: Fisherdv on June 22, 2018, 04:05:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken King Salmon in Wa. has them cheaper :shrug9: Maybe someone in that area can confirm if I'm even getting the name of that shop right :shrug9:

Yup, that's correct. King Salmon Marine located in Tacoma WA. They are $495. Here is the link...

https://kingsalmonmarine.stores.dealerspike.com/product.aspx?zpid=6720383

I feel like they put the rigger at a good working height and give you something to brace against while fishing in less than ideal weather. I definitely love mine and would get them again...

2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9