News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trim Tabs

Started by maitoitu, May 30, 2018, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitoitu

I bought a 1989 17SC and the trim tabs are mounted on the sponsons. The aren't very big but they seem to work. There are bennett hydraulic.  What do people think? Should I move them?  Gene MAI-TOI
1989 17SC 2006 YAMAHA 90

Fisherdv

Having them there may interfere/cutoff fishing lines when going around the back. Also I don't think that area has the same reinforcement as the transom does to support the load from the trim tabs deployed. Also the angle may be a little off.  Do you have a pic?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

I think Fisher has good point about mounting them to the transom for added strength. Also I might be concern with hitting them on the dock which I think would do more damage to boat then the tabs.

If you decided to move them to the transom, it's not hard to do, just measure 100 times and mount once  :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Markshoreline

On the other hand, the tabs are much more effective at the outer corners rather than the inner area where mine are located.  I'd be tempted to leave them as is and just not back into docks..  :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Mcneilcab

Mine are Lencos mounted on the sponsons..Only place i could mount them as i have twin outboards on my 19...havent lost a fish yet because of them
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

croaker stroker

The Jury is still out on this one.  :beerchug:

If it works, it works.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

I just mounted mine on the transom but gave the sponsons a strong look.....I bought the M80 Bennett's which are smaller than most tabs measuring in at 8 X 10.
I agree that the tabs are more effective out there on the sponsons so I would leave them there, just don't back into a building, otherwise I really don't see how they could interfere with anything (a lost fish would roll your eyes).

Check with Arima on the sponson strength - my bet is that it is structurally sound for the tabs.

SB Steve

My boat came with M80s on the sponsons.  Moving them would entail drilling new holes, patching all the old ones, moving my transducer and a thru hull.  So they are staying where they are. :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Quote from: maitoitu on May 30, 2018, 06:13:25 PM
I bought a 1989 17SC and the trim tabs are mounted on the sponsons. The aren't very big but they seem to work. There are bennett hydraulic.  What do people think? Should I move them?  Gene MAI-TOI
If they are already there then run it for a while and see how it works out for you. If you decide you don't like them there you could move them later if you feel needed :twocents:

First Cabin

I have the Bennet M80s mounted on the sponsons.  The fiberglass is plenty strong there and the hydraulic lines come straight in which works well.  On the port side the trim tab is right under the kicker so it's no trouble at all.  On the starboard side, we do have to remember it is there when fighting fish, but we haven't lost a fish yet so it's not that big of a deal.

Starting fresh, I'd probably install them on the transom, but on the sponsons works just fine so I'm not moving them.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Marine40

I am going with the lenco's where should I mount mine for the first time on my Hunter.

Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Fisherdv

Quote from: Marine40 on May 09, 2019, 05:15:45 PM
I am going with the lenco's where should I mount mine for the first time on my Hunter.
Inside the sponsons, spread out as far as possible. I would go with the 9x9 on the Hunter for space reasons.

First Cabin

Starting fresh with Lenco's, I'd put them just inside the sponsons.  They work and are protected there.  If your downriggers are mounted aft and the trim tabs are on the sponsons, the trim tabs will be easy to catch with the wire.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

Agree with last two posters!  However, if my boat came with them on the sponsons I would definitely give them a try.  The outside leverage will be greater than the leverage inside the sponsons so they will be more effective there, though with some risks...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

crabby

I used Bennett electric trim tabs, use them everyday. I placed mine inside the motor well, was able to get my transducers on each side between motor and end of the tabs. These are fast reacting be careful! I wouldn't use anything else!

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Marine40

I am going to install mine on Saturday. Did anybody use a sealant into the screw holes?

Thanks
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Fisherdv

Quote from: Marine40 on May 23, 2019, 09:18:52 PM
I am going to install mine on Saturday. Did anybody use a sealant into the screw holes?

Thanks
I used 3M 4200. Lots of people use 5200, but I wanted something a little less permanent.

Marine40

Quote from: Fisherdv on May 23, 2019, 09:28:37 PM
Quote from: Marine40 on May 23, 2019, 09:18:52 PM

Thanks
I used 3M 4200. Lots of people use 5200, but I wanted something a little less permanent.

How did you route the wiring?  I am thinking about going thru the hull?  but I can not find any post on this topic.

Fisherdv

I just went over the transom. It's only a few inches, and I didn't want to add more holes and risk hitting the gas tank or possibly having the hole end up into the splashwell. If you do make the holes, double check to make sure where they will come through.

Fishgriller

I mounted Lencos several months ago. Places them as close to the sponsons as possible, this is what Lenco technical support advised.  In this position, they do not line up where I could pass the cables through the transom due to the splashwell, so I routed them over the transom.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Mooch

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Svinny88

Over the transom is the way to go   I used Bennett bolt electric tabs  MJ  Thomas at Bennett has been very helpful.  Had to exchange the cylinders out for the 3000 series, to run wires over transom they shipped out the cylinders to me before I shipped the 2000 cylinders back.  I also installed  the auto trim pro unit   
1998 15'11" sea explorer. 2020 Honda bf100
"T roLL on 1"

Arima_Matt

Same ovrer the transom.  Barely noticeable.  No new holes

Matt
91 1511 Sea Explorer - 2008 75hp evinrude E-TEC - lenco 12x9