News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Installing wipers on 1992 1511 SE

Started by trobak, May 29, 2018, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trobak

My SE does not have wipers and I'd like to install a single manual wiper on the starboard side, requiring a 5/8" hole drilled just below or on the side of the pane for the grab handle to orient on the inside. If anyone has done this project or knows how far the glass extends into the plastic frame, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.
Tim
Homer, AK
1511 Sea Explorer

steeler

I just bought a wiper that clamps over the windshield, I was too nervous to try and drill a hole through the glass.
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

Markshoreline

I'm pretty sure your windshield frame is made of aluminum with a plastic sealer strip between the frame and the glass.  The glass is about full length in the frames and they actually have reliefs drilled at the edge of the glass where the screws go.  I'd be very wary of drilling into the windshield. :facepalm:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

I'd take Mark's advice.  Sea Dog makes a clamp-on wiper you may want to take a look at. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

BestBoats

Rain -Ex! Apply each trip...I never use my wiper.  :twocents:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

amazing grace

Rain-X was going to be my suggestion. A clamp on is interesting though. I do love Rain-X though.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Fisherdv

Great idea! I've used similar on the vehicles but never thought to use it on the boat windows
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

This might sound crazy, but when I lived in Oregon for awhile, my friend told me to use mother's car wax (other wax might work) on my trucks windshield instead of Rain X. I tried it and it was easier to put on, worked great, and lasts just as long.
Best not to apply it in direct hot sun light.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

trobak

We got lots of direct light but it isn't hot! Good suggestions everyone I appreciate your time and attention to my question. I'll have more I'm sure.

I'll try Rain X and wax, perhaps with a squeegee on stand by for the 'ol reach-around and see how I fare before the drill makes an appearance. I may also look into the removable wiper idea. The only time in my life I'll be hoping for the wet stuff next time I'm out.
Tim
Homer, AK
1511 Sea Explorer

trobak

After a first weekend on the water there's a few things I'll be tackling over the next few weeks. First, the Honda 90 does great on the little 1511. Even with 35 gal of fuel and 3 days worth of camping/fishing gear along with the 3 of us, the ride is just fine. No porpoising, easy on-plane, not the problem I thought it could have been. The doel-fin does help a lot-for those of you wondering about a 90 on the 7'2" pre-'93 beam. It helped to have the weight of our gear strategically placed in the bow.

There's an existing hole below the starboard window along with factory wiring so I will be putting in a wiper. Anyone know which wiper/motor unit to get for the 1511 SE?

Next is a second battery with switch, along with total re-wiring and a waterproof fuse panel. The panel is a must, the virtue of the wiring project to clean things up and labeled inasmuch as it allows me to become familiarized with the brains of the boat. This is a must for me. A couple years ago I was trolling with the family along with my brother and sister in law and their 2 young daughters. We were in the shallows with the wind having just picked up which was blowing us toward the rocks when we lost power. Based on the wiring project I had done and the symptom presentation I was able to go straight to the blown fuse and get  it replaced in about one minute. Would have been ugly to have not been intimate with the electrical system.

Last, unfortunately, is looking at a new canvas design. I know a lot of you have been down this road. I'm not thrilled with the current top, specifically how far back onto the fishing deck the structure rods go. I do a lot of trolling and there's too much interference right now. Anyone have a top design they particularly like? I'd love to have a brow above the glass and over just the front seats. I don't care too much about side coverage. I'd actually consider doing a hard top, a design similar to the 1979 Glasply 2100, picture attached.

The B(break)O(out)A(another)T(thousand) begins.
Tim
Homer, AK
1511 Sea Explorer

amazing grace

Good to hear things are working well. I would be concerned about adding too much weight to the SE.
Everything add's up. Gas, motors, top, gear, batteries, etc.

Does your SE have a factory fuel cell or are you doing portables and gas can's?

On the top. I would do a raised canvas and bring it back as far as you want. Get the best quality rain resistant material available there as I am betting it will be up all the time. Treat it regularly.

rewiring is a great mod.

Just remember there is only so much you can do on a hull this size. Can't make it any bigger. A great little fishing boat though.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Markshoreline

One of our members- Salmon King made a hardtop for his 17.  It attached directly to the windshield so that type may not be desirable to you but it can be done.  You can search our site for his story, pretty interesting read!
Others have built aluminum houses to provide relief from the weather, a recent one was very nicely executes as was SSericz.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

trobak

The fuel tank is aftermarket but looks to be the same size and in the same location as OEM. It's got a second nipple to tie a fuel hose to and there's a kicker bracket on the port side so certainly very suggestive if I needed an excuse to get a kicker. I've been doing some research and am leaning toward the Tohatsu. Chart attached for those of you in the same camp or just interested in the spec layout in columns.

Ive also been looking at batteries with the goal of finding a pair of lighter ones. The single original is old and I want to add a second anyway. I'm looking at the Optima 34M but would like to find an even lighter set of dual purpose batteries. My questions are all over the place but I wonder if anyone has personal experience with lightweight batteries. Something like the Odyssey PC625?

I posted a LTT my Honda 90 for a 60-80hp outboard on Craigslist a week ago and lo and behold I've lined up a 2012 Yamaha f70 with 100hrs on it as a clean swap for my 90. Really excited about it.  It'll be a great fit from what I've read here and adding a kicker should be no problem. Lots to do but first I gotta get some blood on the deck this weekend!
Tim
Homer, AK
1511 Sea Explorer

amazing grace

Great idea on the trade. Glad you thought of it :rimshot:
The F70 should be perfect.
You are on the right track.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler