News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Smart Tabs

Started by familyrig, June 21, 2018, 10:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familyrig

Just a heads up for anyone on the fence about Smart tabs.  Installed in about 30 minutes and water tested this evening.  They are amazing!!  Barely any bow lift and held plane at 12mph!  Boat even seemed smoother hitting waves. 

I am totally impressed.

David

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

mariner

familyrig, I installed the smart tabs on my previous boat which was a 19ft deeper V bayliner cuddy.  That boat was also stern heavy and I found the ride to be rough in the chop. 
After installation of the smart tabs I also noticed a huge difference with the ride... much smoother in chop... faster time to plane, kept bow down when getting on plane, cornering didn't have as much of a tilt to the boat.   Obviously you don't have side to side adjustments but it was a very good improvement for minimal cost.   The only downside I noticed with them was that NO MATTER how much I trimmed my motor up I could not get the boat to get the bow above the water to maximize on planning efficiency... Triming the motor gets the front portion out of the water to minimize the amount of surface drag in contact with water and thus improves speed and fuel economy..  The smart tabs worked too well at keeping the bow down and prevented proper trimming but the minor loss in fuel and planning efficiency was offset but the nicer and more comfortable ride.  When I hit a wave the shocks from smart tabs almost acted like suspension as I can feel the rear of the boat cushion what would have normally been a hard thunk when hitting rough waves.

I am going to be installing trim tabs shortly and I am excited about how much of an improvement they would be over the smart tabs and from not having any tabs at the moment.
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Mooch

How do they handle in a following sea?
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

amazing grace

That is great to hear.  And very affordable. I am thinking the Bennett SLT's for my little SE once I get further along on it.  I am anxious to hear  more once you use more. Congrats and thank you. Enjoy and be safe.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

Mooch- that's the problem.  In a following sea the tabs press the bow down and can bury it into the next wave.  Also, if you beach the boat the tabs bring into the beach.
As stated, they work well for the price, just don't go in the ocean...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

amazing grace

Mark, can't you manually pull them to the up position or release them?

I think many use them in the brine. :shrug9:

Sure there are better options, albeit expensive ones. Nothing wrong with the poorman's (working man's)  version :beerchug:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

familyrig

I was aware of the following sea issues but primarily use this boat for 3 months up at a mountain lake.  I plan to install Lencos on my Ranger that I use on the ocean. 

When I looked into installing these I was really not looking at cost but more the simplicity and light weight.  Between double electric down riggers, 4 stroke motor, 27 gallons of fuel and sometimes 4 kids on the boat I needed all the weight saving I can get.

These did exactly what I needed on a daily use.  I pull out of my slip, pop up on plane and run for 3-4 minutes to the back of the lake and troll for 2-3 hours (30 min with the kids,,,lol).  So far very happy.  Heading back out in a few minutes.

David

Mooch

David, sounds like the ideal product for your situation.  Smiles all around.   :applause:

Quote from: familyrig on June 22, 2018, 08:04:21 AM

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Fisherdv

Looks like a beautiful day on a beautiful lake. Have fun!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

familyrig

Thanks!

Threeweight

To the guys who say don't go in the ocean with Smart Tabs... don't take a shower without your water wings on!

I had them for years on my 17, and I'd gladly compare my ocean uses of them, including many bar crossings in following seas, to anyone elses experience with manual tabs.  I never found the following sea concern to have much merit beyond internet rumor... The total surface area of the tabs is about 1/20th of the surface area of your transom... the transom is going to get pushed regardless of what tabs you have, and if you are on plane the smart tabs are compressed.

I have manual tabs on my current boat, they are awesome.  I had Smart Tabs on my Arima.  They were awesome to.  I like the manual ones better, because they help me account for side to side list and quartering seas.  But they cost 4-5 times what the Smart Tabs do.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Beautiful.....What lake is that ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Lake Oceanus Pacificus, about 35 miles due west of the town of Depoe Bay.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Wow 3WT, I never knew there was a lake with landlocked tuna! in it. I'm going to have to try that lake sometime, although I can't seem to find it listed  :whistle:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Yes...........apparently, it's one of those "saltwater lakes" that only Threeweight knows about.  He's too much.  :stirthepot:

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

familyrig

Croaker,  that is Bear River up Hwy 88 near Kirkwood.  We keep our trailer there for the summer.  The wife and kids stay for 2 months while I come and go between work.  Somebody has to pay for them to play....