News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Prop ?

Started by Seattleflyfisher, February 02, 2011, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seattleflyfisher

Getting my motor next week and I feel like I am lost about not knowing what kind of Prop to buy. My motor does come with one but how do I tell if what I have if what should be on the motor?
:1zhelp:

Threeweight

Lots of variables on what constitutes the right prop for a boat.  Hull design, length, weight, whether you want pickup, top speed, fuel economy, etc...  Oh, and motor hp and gearing as well.  Look up the recommended RPM range for your new motor at wide open throttle... you want a prop that keeps you in that range.

A 13 3/4 by 17 is probably a good place to start on a 90 hp 4 stroke on a 17' Arima.  If you buy from a dealer or a local prop shop, they may be willing to work with you and let you trade out till you get the prop you want.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

SFF, I had a 3 x 13 3/4" x 17" on my Honda 90 on the old 19' SR. Great top end. WOT was at about 5500 RPMs and top speed was about 35mph. If I sat at rest and slammed the throttle all the way open, the motor would stall. It would do that if I had any type of movement, even 1 mph.

That worried me in case I needed the throttle while crossing a bar so I went to a 15" pitch. That was a bit thin. My WOT was 6,000 RPM which was proper but the prop would cavitate under high loads when giving it the gas or in a turn. The old 17" prop was dinged up so I had it tuned to a 16" pitch and that was just right.

Since you have the same motor and a smaller boat, I would start with the 17" pitch. StreamFixer moved from a 15" to a 17" to a 19" with his Yami 115 and that boat just flies! But he also has the extra 25 ponies. Go with the 17" and buy it somewhere where they'll let you exchange it if it's not the prop for you.

One last item of note: Having WOT at 5500 RPMs is a lot quieter than having it at 6000 RPM's. Don't think you have to hit the WOT specs. The 17" prop on the 19' made for a lot quieter cruising while on plane.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Then there's the four blade.  More low end / midrange bite. Holds a planes at low RPM. Good for following sea.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸