Author Topic: Newport halibut  (Read 436 times)

Offline Red 22

Newport halibut
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
Anyone fishing this weekend, I'll be in Rv park site 20 stop by- I'll trade a beer for your secret halibut way points.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Newport halibut
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:10:56 AM »
I am heading down Wednesday Tony.  I'll come find you

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
I have reservations at the Annex, and moorage, but again the wind forecast is not looking favorable.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Red 22

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
Stop by - Russ is buying! Both magic and NOAA have changed for the better hoping it continues.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:50:08 PM by Red 22 »
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
I'm bringing $20.  That should cover about everything from Wednesday until Saturday evening......

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »
Heading to Newport this afternoon to help Red 22 & Ericsranger (probably 3WT too) nail some Halibut---  as well as rockfish and ling...

If anyone else shows up we can be found at a slip (Usually C dock) and Red 22 is in RV space 20

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Red 22

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »
I'm bringing $20.  That should cover about everything from Wednesday until Saturday evening......

StreamFixer

You'll die of thrust on $20.00
Tony

-Sterling Hayden

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
He might be able to get a 30 pack of the yellow cans that say BEER :shrug9:
Good luck, and be safe out there :fishing:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:57:45 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Online La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
Come on guys, give it up. How was the fishing?  :shrug9: 
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
I can only speak to Thursday---- The fishing was great ...  Water was oily smooth until early afternoon... 
The catching, however, was not so good.  We were skunked....  Nothing but Yellow eye... 

The reports I heard ---  Mostly chickens caught, and not many of them...

Friday -  Too windy to get out, fellow I was fishing with needed to head home, so I called it done and headed home myself.

Red 22 & 3WT stayed for Saturday...  Perhaps they will report.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
A big fat skunkage for me as well on Thursday.  We fished the Thumb with the fleet, tried a number of spots that have produced in the past, nada.  Some fish were caught, the guys catching them found them and stuck to a fairly small area.

Wife and I went for a hike at Cape Perpetua on Friday while the wind howled, then grabbed dinner.  Had one of Wolf Tree Brewing's "Sprice Tip Brown"... highly recommended.  They apparently have a tap house open now in Seal Rock.. going to have to spend some time there  :beerchug:

Fished the Thumb again on Saturday, because I am a glutton for punishment. Weather was not as nice as Thursday, but still quite good...25-28 mph run out and back for me.  Tried several spots, throwing down every bait we could think of.  Managed to collect three chickens between 32" and 36" before giving up after a 4 hour dry spell and trying the SE corner of the rock pile.  Again, proven numbers were dead, through we did have some brief excitement when a buddy reeled up an octopus roughly 6-8' in diameter.  As we were debating what to do with it, it settled the issue by letting go of the herring/shad cocktail it was holding on to and heading back to the bottom.

Ended the day with 3 small fish for 4 people.  Some boats did better... from what I heard on the radio, I suspect the fish are a little further north, and a little further out this year.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 11:09:03 PM »
Guess I'm going to have to learn how my son does it. He caught a 62 inch, 96 lb Hali out of Hobuck beach resort in his kayak today!!!
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Red 22

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
Thursday fished with a couple of first timers. They where not sure about testing their stomachs and wanted to stay close so we headed for the east side of the Rock pile. Twenty minutes into the drift the rod using Stream fixers Hali rig setup bends over. A little chicken that we debated about throwing back, buy the time we got the hook out it bleed out so we keep it- 33". Down go the rods and rookie number two hooks up. Chickens were getting larger this one measures 34". Then the bite goes off. Firday we decided to take a peak outside the harbor- it looks doable. We crest a rolling swell and head into the trough the swell was higher than my skip tower, did a quick check of the Stonewall banks buoy, 20 knots and gusts to 25 screw that we headed in. Russ was waiting for us at the dock.
We, along with Russ, went to pig and pancake for breakfast, bumped into a fishing buddy Andy and his wife Jill. After a morning of good conversation we helped load up Russ' boat as he was heading back home.

Saturday the ocean laid down, up early and headed to the boot with some proven numbers. Rookie number 2 drops his line in and before I can put bait on he's hooked up a very nice 40". I look around and the bite is on. Everyone drops in and the bite goes off. We hunt for three hours nothing.  I call Andy to see how he's doing 3 miles away no answer. The crew comment  he must be reeling in a fish. I say we are out 30 mile and don't have cell service. Couple of minutes later Andy calls just landed a 55 incher -the guy next to him limited with 5 on the boat. We picked up and head for Andy. As we got there Jill had just pulled in a upper 40's length Halibut and Andy saved us the hot hole. We worked that hole and around for the next 3 hours not a nibble. nothing, nada. Here's Andy and Jill with their 83 and 54 pound Halibuts.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:44:34 PM by Red 22 »
Tony

-Sterling Hayden

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
Red
Great report, felt like we were there with you!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:43 PM »

Yup. Great read. Thanks for posting.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."